yconic - UOIT Concurrent Education
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UOIT Concurrent Education

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
The UOIT program is relativly new and doing some exciting things. They have an emphasis on the use of technology in the classroom and offer teachables in more specialized subject areas such as computer science. It is a great program for people interested in teaching science, math or technology. I wouldn't be as quick to reccomend it to people potentially interested in teaching the humanities. They UOIT philosophy focuses on being an innovative and critically reflective teacher. I don't know a whole lot about the details of the program, but if you have anything specific you want to ask, I'll do my best to answer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Fawlkes Fawlkes
The UOIT program is relativly new and doing some exciting things. They have an emphasis on the use of technology in the classroom and offer teachables in more specialized subject areas such as computer science. It is a great program for people interested in teaching science, math or technology. I wouldn't be as quick to reccomend it to people potentially interested in teaching the humanities. They UOIT philosophy focuses on being an innovative and critically reflective teacher. I don't know a whole lot about the details of the program, but if you have anything specific you want to ask, I'll do my best to answer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks so much for responding! :)
I think that if I become a teacher, I would teacher of the sciences (most likely). It sounds like a pretty cool program, except the problem is that UOIT is a new school. There isn't much information online. Is concurrent education one of UOIT's strong programs? Is it a hard program to get into? (they say the cut off is 75%; isn't that too low?). One of my friends told me most teachers nowadays are coming from UOIT. What's its reputation? (I'm not a snob...I'm just curious).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fawlkes Fawlkes
It's true, UOIT is a relativly new school, so it is hard to say what kind of reputation it has among professionals. And yes, a 75 is low for a concurrent program, but that does not neccessarily reflect the quality of the program. It is just newer, so there is less hype, thus it is less competitive to get in. I've talked to a number of principals who think that UOIT is turning out quality teachers, though most add that where you go to school really doesn't mattter all that much in the end when it comes to hiering. While I don't believe it is true that most teachers are coming from UOIT now, the addition of a concurrent program at UOIT did up the number of teachers being certified in Ontario. If it is a program that interests you, I say go for it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi thanks so much for answering my questions :) really appreciate it
My only problem is that I don't know what parents will think of it xD. They don't really know about UOIT and not might be keen on letting me go there. I know it's my decision but their opinions are taken into consideration. I woul've applied to Queen's (or Queen's-Trent) but by the time I officially decided I wanted to apply to con ed, the deadline for early admission was gone and according to my guidance counsellor I didn't really have a shot.

So is going to UOIT a worthwhile investment? And just how competitive is it to get into the program?
Again thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HappyNoodleGirl21 HappyNoodleGirl21
I am at UOIT for Forensic Psychology right now, but I did apply to UOIT for Concurrent Education. It is a fantastic program and it will provide you with many opportunities within education and science!

UOIT is new and a lot of people have misconceptions about it or don'r really know any thing about it. I suggest that you and your parents go to an open house and check out the campus for yourself. I guarantee you that you will not be dissapointed! :colors:

Here is a link to the winter open house: https://secure.uoit.ca/microsites/winteropenhouse2012/index.php?utm_source=redirect&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=openhouse

If you have any questions or want more information feel free to message me!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@HappyNoodleGirl21 Thank you for replying!
Can I still apply to UOIT Concurrent Education after going to the open house?? Should I apply now?
If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to choose Forensic Psycology over concurrent ed?
Also how competitive is it to get accepted into the program? Again Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HappyNoodleGirl21 HappyNoodleGirl21
I don't know about the OUAC deadlines are for this year. I would think that it is better to apply as early as possible.

The reason that I chose Forensic Psychology over Concurrent Education is because I didn't really want to do science. I love Biology but I hate math and didn't really want to do any more math classes after grade 12. I really like psychology and it was my second choice after science so I decided to switch. The Forensic Psychology program let me still take some biology courses but doesn't require math! :colors: I also wasn't really sure if I wanted to be a teacher and the Concurrent program made me a little panicky...

When I was accepted I had about an 80% average. From what I understand, the concurrent education is a little bit more competitive than some other programs but as long as you meet the requirements you should be fine!

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0