yconic - UOIT vs. University of Guelph vs. McMaster (Admission decision)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UOIT vs. University of Guelph vs. McMaster (Admission decision)

A photo of ajune ajune
I am interested in the following programs at the three universities:

UOIT (University of Ontario Institute of Technology) ---- Software Engineering (Hons.) + Management (Maybe)

University of Guelph --- Computer Engineering

McMaster University --- Computer Engineering

NOTE: For all three I WILL be doing Co-op.

Also is there a management option available for Guelph and McMaster?

Which University is better for each program?

So basically UOIT, Guelph, or McMaster?

Please answer my questions.
Thanks in advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of sascer520 sascer520
Reputable- Probably Mcmaster, but I have the same decision as you almost. However, I am more inclined to UOIT, simply because its newer, I like the laptop program idea. Especially for software engineering, you have the best programs for your software classes, and the technology is all there for you. There is a tim hortons inside the school. I am not sure about you but it only takes 45 minutes for me to get there. Or then again, I may just stay back a year in highschool. Do grade 13, and truly realize what I want to do in life, and also take some more courses to widen my options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ajune ajune
Yea, I live in the York Region area, so it would take me about 1 hr 30 mins to get to UOIT.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your gr 11 and gr 12 (so far) averages?

Also do you have any opinion on University of Guelph?
Because I was thinking to just go to Guelph.

I heard that UOIT, is a very small university (size of campus), is that true?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ajune ajune
does anyone have any opinions on these universities??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ajune ajune

@Respects wrote
I like UOIT's engineering and mac's pretty good too, very difficult program though.

How do you think the job market is for software engineering at unit, would I be able to easily get a job after graduating??
Same for Macmaster??

Because in uoit I'm taking software engineering, in macmaster I'm taking computer engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rawrawraw rawrawraw
who the screw would even consider UOIT
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of ajune ajune

@rawrawraw wrote

why not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

why not?

uz everyone knows StFX is the only good university out there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ajune ajune

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

why not?

Whats STFx??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

why not?

Whats STFx??

tf you dumbass you dont even know what StFX is? Fking illiterate monkey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ajune ajune

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

why not?

Whats STFx??

nevermind, I googled it. and I don't even know where that is. I only applied to universities in Ontario, specifically some where near toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

why not?

Whats STFx??

nevermind, I googled it. and I don't even know where that is. I only applied to universities in Ontario, specifically some where near toronto.

ow have you been living under a rock for the past 100 years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ajune ajune

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

@ajune wrote

@rawrawraw wrote

why not?

Whats STFx??

ow have you been living under a rock for the past 100 years?

No, but where is this university anyways??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheKey TheKey

@ajune wrote

@Respects wrote
I like UOIT's engineering and mac's pretty good too, very difficult program though.

How do you think the job market is for software engineering at unit, would I be able to easily get a job after graduating??
Same for Macmaster??

Because in uoit I'm taking software engineering, in macmaster I'm taking computer engineering.

Post in this forum section regarding employment rates of Software/Computer Engineering. But I've heard employment rates are great for all types of engineering.

If you want to know more, give the university a call and ask about their graduates employment rates or go to the university and talk to them face to face where you probably can talk to professors.

Here's some information regarding the programs at Mcmaster (yes there is Computer Engineering and Management).

UOIT is good because of the technology they incorporate into their programs and it's a new university also. I also heard University of Guelph has a nice atmosphere and it's not really massive. Mcmaster is also a well known university.

The only down side I can see between your decision is Mcmaster because you'll be competing for spots for certain disiplines when you do get accepted.

For information on universities I would recommened you email them. Before making your choice, go to the universities and see which one is right for you, because I'll be doing that for sure. :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ajune ajune

@TheKey wrote

@ajune wrote

@Respects wrote

Same for Macmaster??

Post in this forum section regarding employment rates of Software/Computer Engineering. But I've heard employment rates are great for all types of engineering.

If you want to know more, give the university a call and ask about their graduates employment rates or go to the university and talk to them face to face where you probably can talk to professors.

Here's some information regarding the programs at Mcmaster (yes there is Computer Engineering and Management).

UOIT is good because of the technology they incorporate into their programs and it's a new university also. I also heard University of Guelph has a nice atmosphere and it's not really massive. Mcmaster is also a well known university.

The only down side I can see between your decision is Mcmaster because you'll be competing for spots for certain disiplines when you do get accepted.

For information on universities I would recommened you email them. Before making your choice, go to the universities and see which one is right for you, because I'll be doing that for sure. :)

Thank you sooooo much for the reply. I will probably go check out the universities next week (after my exams).

Good luck for your universities, I see your still waiting on 4 universities.
If possible could you let me know when you get accepted to McMaster and Guelph, even though it is for a different program.

Thanks again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheKey TheKey

@ajune wrote

Good luck for your universities, I see your still waiting on 4 universities.
If possible could you let me know when you get accepted to McMaster and Guelph, even though it is for a different program.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I'll let you know. I think some people already got early acceptance into McMaster. I'm going to assume the first wave of offers from Mcmaster will receive the free choice (guranteed in a most discipline of your desire).

I think Guelph will be sending their first wave of offers in February.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
i have friends at mac and they enjoy that program
but i can say, go to all the schools and see which one feels like home to you
Was this helpful? Yes 0