yconic - uOttawa residences?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

uOttawa residences?

A photo of RobbieF RobbieF
How are the different residences there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of kschole kschole
Well, I had the chance to stay at Rez in UOttawa for a week a few years ago. I can't campeighn to hard, as it WAS only a week, but I quite lived the residences there. Far better than the U of Alberta out here. Far better indeed. xD

I also think very highly of the campus itself, and I understand they're finishing a new social sciences complex, wish is also exciting. Great dorms, great campus, great library's, great athletics, great school! :)

Perhaps you should go try and book a tour?

-Kyle

UCalgary - International Relations - 2015
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Well they've already started sending out housing offers. I got mine on Friday and I will be in my first choice - 90u!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you get a letter or see it online? I sent my deposit like two weeks ago and have been seeing this for a week..

Status of your deposit: Received

Your Residence Arrival Date: Not Available
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They sent me an e-mail, they will be sending me info by mail in a couple days. It says the same thing for me on the Infoweb page that it says for you. Hopefully you'll get an e-mail soon. Are you planning on going to UOttawa for sure?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yep, unless I get into Queen's.. Which is highly unlikely
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Awesome. Maybe I'll see you there in September then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of allison123 allison123
You guys if you go to the Ottawa U website, they show virtual tours of the different residences, service buildings and buildings where you'll be studying depending on program. It's a little cheesy but it's recent and really exciting!
I had a friend who chose 90u last year.
I have been accepted and I'm really leaning towards Ottawa U. What made you guys ultimately choose Ottawa U?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I chose uOttawa because I like the location. When I went on a campus tour I really felt that I could picture myself studying and living there for 4 years. I also like that is a bilingual campus, because I want to continue studying French. I think the campus tour made me realize that it was the place for me. Everyone is very friendly and very helpful. I like the layout of the campus as well, we didn't have to walk very far to get to certain buildings. I like that it is a large university in a large city but it is not overwhelming/too big. I liked everything about the campus when I went on the campus tour, the residences, the faculties, the sports facilities, etc. If you have the opportunity to go on a campus tour I would recommend it. They also have a facebook pg if you have any questions called "Futurs étudiants, Prospective Students uOttawa 2011". The student ambassadors are really helpful & answer any questions on the facebook page.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To be honest, I havent been there yet. I have a bunch of advantages on my part by going that. I got an entrance scholarship, which helps. I also got into the co-op program with advanced standing, meaning I'd be entering in my second year. I find it really exciting to know that next summer I'll be working with a company for marketing. I'm also really excited for the residences and I have family there (who love it) on top of it all.

What about you? What are your motives for wanting to go?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got in for coop as well! I am still debating. Although I most likely will go... I will probably go for communications at Ottawa U for coop... I am visiting the campus this weekend and I've seen it before and just love Ottawa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, keep us posted. I just got my email acceptance for 90 university as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@RobbieF wrote
Well, keep us posted. I just got my email acceptance for 90 university as well.

omgg! congratz! i really want to apply to 90u but i feel like ill be too late. thats the best one according to my friend. what did you gusy apply for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For what program? I applied for Marketing with Co-op and advanced standing. I'm still debating between Ottawa and McGill (If I get in).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am currently living in the Marchand residence. And I loved it this year BUT I would not choose it next year. The new Vanier building is right beside Marchand and blocks most of the light and scenery for anyone with a rooms number ending in 8-19.

I would suggest living in 90U (though I imagine it is full already) or Thompson. 90U you get the privacy, a kitchen and your own bathroom and (this is a pro/con) parties. 90U has most of the BIG parties as they have the biggest lounges on the lower floors. Thompson is more "homey". Small rooms and comfortable common rooms with nice views.

Have fun picking and if you have any questions about UO just let me know!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Okay! I'Vve sent my residence form and going to Ottawa U next year for co-op and comm! Do u think because I don't speak french I'm at a huge disadvantage? Only thing left to do is accept! but pretty sure i'm goign! it was my favourite campus! i fell in love!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AbbyMermie AbbyMermie
Yes and No. Almost all the jobs on campus (via workstudy) are bilingual. As a unilingual, you're going to get frustrated by how bilingual UofO is, and how Anglophone the REST of Ottawa is! Campus is almost the only place where you'll hear French being spoken. So if you're looking for a job, head straight off-campus. As for classes, you'd only be disadvantaged if you only spoke French, because sometimes in French programs, the students still need to read some articles, books, etc. in English (e.g. Med School, Crim). Finally comment - Student Politics. You cannot run for elections in the Student Federation if you're not bilingual. But that doesn't mean you can't run for posts in your faculty. Good luck and have fun at school!
@allison123 wrote
Okay! I'Vve sent my residence form and going to Ottawa U next year for co-op and comm! Do u think because I don't speak french I'm at a huge disadvantage? Only thing left to do is accept! but pretty sure i'm goign! it was my favourite campus! i fell in love!!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

accepted and will be living in Marchand single occupancy next year! Yayyyy see you all in fall 2011
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jane239 Jane239
Hey guys! I was just wondering if I could get some help.
I feel like since I still have not accepted my offer I won't get a nice residence.
Do you guys mind putting down what ranking you put for residence?
I realize that 90U is first.. which ones would you put after?
Thanks so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samanthacarr samanthacarr
How are the Brooks residences? Are they usually louder, or are they a more quiet residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0