yconic - uOttawa Vs. Macmaster
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

uOttawa Vs. Macmaster

A photo of cheers123 cheers123
I was accepted by both universities 2 days ago and I'm wondering which one to select, as the offer for ottawa expires pretty soon.I really don't know much about either of the universities and I simply can't decide on which one to go to. I read that Mac has a higher ranking than ottawa so does that mean that that uni is better? And which one has the better residences?
I was also offered a scholarship from ottawa, but I am hesitant because I don't know much on ottawa. In what sorts of places are these uni's situated in?
Any advice regarding this is greatly appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

Also, Is there anyone else who has applied to the same programs as me for these 2 universities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ousia ousia

@cheers123 wrote
I was accepted by both universities 2 days ago and I'm wondering which one to select, as the offer for ottawa expires pretty soon.I really don't know much about either of the universities and I simply can't decide on which one to go to. I read that Mac has a higher ranking than ottawa so does that mean that that uni is better? And which one has the better residences?
I was also offered a scholarship from ottawa, but I am hesitant because I don't know much on ottawa. In what sorts of places are these uni's situated in?

what do you mean by the offer for ottawa expires soon? doesnt all university offer expire on june 1?

I would say go to university of ottawa I have went to the open house, all I can say is that it is very unique and modern environment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Those... are pretty... general questions.

Google? Go to their websites?

If you have anything specifically i go to Mac, feel free to send me a PM or post a reply in this thread.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for your replies.
@ ousia:
That was what was mentioned on my OUAC account.But I think that might be because I'm a 105D applicant.

@ chatmike:

Yes, I have a few questions about Mac....
1) What is the male:female ratio at Macmaster mechatronics program? Just an estimate?
2) Are there many students doing tron at MacMaster?
3) In what sort of an area is the university situated? Is it in a City?
4) In your opinion, is Macmaster a better place than uottawa for engineering? What are your reasons?
That's all I can think of at the moment. I would be really thankful if you can give me a picture of what Macmaster is like, to decide whether I would like it.
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cheers123 wrote

1) What is the male:female ratio at Macmaster mechatronics program? Just an estimate?
4) In your opinion, is Macmaster a better place than uottawa for engineering? What are your reasons?
That's all I can think of at the moment. I would be really thankful if you can give me a picture of what Macmaster is like, to decide whether I would like it.
Thanks!

1) For the faculty in general it's around 15-20% female... a good chunk of girls tend to go to "fem eng" streams such as chem and materials (according to the stereotype anyways), so i would assume that ratio would be a lot smaller in mechatronics... maybe 10ish?

2) Depends on what you consider a lot... i believe it's pretty populated, but i'm pretty sure it's not as large as mechanical or civil.

3) It's in the middle of Hamilton! Very urban setting with student housing sprinkled everywhere. However Mac is situated next to a very large forest and streams/lakes. It's actually pretty nice and was quite a 'bonus' i found when i first moved here. If i ever get really stressed i can walk 2 minutes across campus and walk down hiking trails, or sit on trees overlooking the water. It's called Coote's Paradise if you want to google and see pictures. Plus Hamilton has something like 140 waterfalls that are absolutely lovely apparently. I'm probably going to see the larger ones on a weekend soon when the weather gets nice again!

4) I don't really know much about uOttawa, so i can't really give a fair assessment. At the same time that may be your answer... i've been on these forums for a while so i think ive collected a good chunk of information about universities in Ontario , and thats why i still post here even though i'm almost through my first year! Maybe uOttawa eluded me through my research in grade 12 and now, but i haven't really heard much about their engineering program.

Now something to note about tron at Mac... it's very software based, and you need to understand what that means. Mechatronics is the fusion of quite a few different streams of engineering and i believe the selling point most students like is the awesome knowledge of learning how to build robots. I believe UW and some other schools focus more on the electronics and mechanics behind these awesome robots, but Mac focuses more on the software that programs these robots to do things. If you aren't big on software you may have to re-think Mac. Again, i'd go to the websites of these schools to find out more since i'm not in tron and i'm sorry i can't offer any more insight into this matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote

@cheers123 wrote

Thanks!

1) For the faculty in general it's around 15-20% female... a good chunk of girls tend to go to "fem eng" streams such as chem and materials (according to the stereotype anyways), so i would assume that ratio would be a lot smaller in mechatronics... maybe 10ish?

2) Depends on what you consider a lot... i believe it's pretty populated, but i'm pretty sure it's not as large as mechanical or civil.

3) It's in the middle of Hamilton! Very urban setting with student housing sprinkled everywhere. However Mac is situated next to a very large forest and streams/lakes. It's actually pretty nice and was quite a 'bonus' i found when i first moved here. If i ever get really stressed i can walk 2 minutes across campus and walk down hiking trails, or sit on trees overlooking the water. It's called Coote's Paradise if you want to google and see pictures. Plus Hamilton has something like 140 waterfalls that are absolutely lovely apparently. I'm probably going to see the larger ones on a weekend soon when the weather gets nice again!

4) I don't really know much about uOttawa, so i can't really give a fair assessment. At the same time that may be your answer... i've been on these forums for a while so i think ive collected a good chunk of information about universities in Ontario , and thats why i still post here even though i'm almost through my first year! Maybe uOttawa eluded me through my research in grade 12 and now, but i haven't really heard much about their engineering program.

Now something to note about tron at Mac... it's very software based, and you need to understand what that means. Mechatronics is the fusion of quite a few different streams of engineering and i believe the selling point most students like is the awesome knowledge of learning how to build robots. I believe UW and some other schools focus more on the electronics and mechanics behind these awesome robots, but Mac focuses more on the software that programs these robots to do things. If you aren't big on software you may have to re-think Mac. Again, i'd go to the websites of these schools to find out more since i'm not in tron and i'm sorry i can't offer any more insight into this matter.

Thanks a lot for your answers! They were really helpful!!
in terms of the area in which it is situated, Mac sounds perfect!
The final point is something for me to think about......
I wonder whether I would have to learn programming before entering the university or we would learn it in uni? O.o
Once again thanks for you help!:cheers:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

No programming experience is necessary because of the beauty of general first year! You have an introductory programming course in first year using a crummy language called Python. I believe once you get into tron in 2nd year you start learning C maybe? Or C++.

However it may be wise to maybe glance over what is involved in programming if you haven't programmed before. To see if you like it and whatnot. Then again if you take general first year at Mac, you will have a programming course and if you don't like programming, you can specialize into a different stream other then tron second year! Hence the beauty of general first year haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@cheers123 wrote

I would recommend you to chat with a student ambassador(Ottawa University) on line about your program . This is their site :http://www.admission.uottawa.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=3162.

You should be able to get someone from Engineering to talk to you.
I had tonnes of information collected from my program talking to various people .

Ottawa was never one of my choices and I just applied applied for it very last minute. I did visit the school -downtown Ottawa and I loved it. Residence is great and they have great support system and the only minus point is perhaps only the food.It is OK.

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thank you for your replies!
I'm starting to consider accepting the Mac offer.. after weighing all the pros and cons.
Just one more question? What are the residences at Mac like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well you didn't really find much info about uOttawa here, just be sure you know exactly what you'd be turning down. They very well may have a great engineering program, and that scholarship sure is good incentive.

Residences at Mac are hit and miss just like every other university haha. There are 3 different styles of residences, traditional (double/triple rooms) dorms, apartment style, and suite. Cost scales up in that order too. Most first years live in the traditional and most are... uh, small? I live in apartment style, so maybe i'm just being condescending living in my almighty apartment, but yeah most are pretty small (mind you not small/squished compared to other universities, but small compared to the bedroom you have at home :p). A good chunk of the buildings themselves are old. Some are even from before WWII LOL.

I haven't lived at a different university so i can't really give any direct comparisons, but overall just about all the residences are very "livable" and no one really complains so i guess that means most people do like where they live. They have virtual tours of some of the residences on the Mac website, i'd suggest looking at a few to actually see what it looks like!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ Chatmike;
I got an offer from UW about 2 days ago. Surprisingly their conditions are the same as MaC which I feel I can fulfill, so most probably I will accept UW.(That was totally unexpected, that's why I was looking into my other options). Anyways, thank you for all your help and for taking the time to reply to my questions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Congratulations! It certainly is no problem at all, glad to help :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of salman2323 salman2323

@cheers123 wrote
@ Chatmike;
I got an offer from UW about 2 days ago. Surprisingly their conditions are the same as MaC which I feel I can fulfill, so most probably I will accept UW.(That was totally unexpected, that's why I was looking into my other options). Anyways, thank you for all your help and for taking the time to reply to my questions!

congratz on the acceptance would u mind tellin me wat ur marks were
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got 3A's and some ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0