yconic - Urban Planning
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Urban Planning

A photo of Notorious Notorious
Hello everyone,

I want to pursue a career in Urban Planning and I was brought to two crossroads. Environmental Studies at York University, or Ryerson's Urban and Regional Planning program. Now I think Ryerson's program is better, but by how much? I live closer to York so it would be easier to drive there for me but if Ryerson program will surpasses it I'll seriously think about going there. For anyone who has been accepted into these programs, and are pursuing Urban Planning or have any knowledge in what I'm talking about feel free to answer me. (I hope someone does)

In Environmental Studies at York it says after the first common year I can focus on Urban and Regional Analyzing, Planning and Design. At Ryerson I think you jump right into Design & Planning. My question is - are these programs (York AND Ryerson) hard to get into? What's the average marks that get in? What's the difficulty of the programs once you get in?

Also, does Urban Planning and Design help you in anyway of construction? Any background to how things are made?

I'll give my thanks in advance, I really appreciate those who can help me out.

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of leahquin leahquin
I'm looking into Urban Planning at Waterloo, but if you're between York and Ryerson I think you need to know what you're going in for. But if you go to York and have the delay before getting right into Planning and explore around what university has to offer, you may be surprised about what stream of program you want to be in. These decisions obviously don't need to made any time soon, but still should be considered. I personally think Ryerson would be a more practical option because the program is unique to Urban Planning; where else can you get a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning?

Cost wise, they are similar and I think having an average above 80 will get you into either. Also, I haven't heard much about actual construction... you mean construction of actual buildings, right? I'm sure there are architectural courses involved somehow. The websites both have overviews of the program course requirements so you can see exactly what you have to take if that determines difficulty for you. Good luck, I hope this helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of MaribPir MaribPir
Out of curiosity, I was wondering if any of you two got into the program, and if so what were your averages and when did you get your acceptances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Canadian49erfan Canadian49erfan
I also applied for Urban & Regional Planning. I was wondering, does anyone know what the job prospects for a graduate with a degree in Urban & Regional Planning? I also applied to many journalism program ('dying industry' I know) but that's what I'm really passionate about. Which would be the better degree (post-graduation job-wise) to get?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaribPir MaribPir
Well urban planning has better job prospects, but you should do what you love, esp with something like urban planning :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of avillanuv avillanuv
Hey everyone, I've applied to urban planning at ryerson. Currently have a 77% Average first semester and with my second semester being easier I'm hoping that wll go up to the 80's.
I was wondering what are my chances with that 77% Average alone?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MrP MrP

@Canadian49erfan wrote
I also applied for Urban & Regional Planning. I was wondering, does anyone know what the job prospects for a graduate with a degree in Urban & Regional Planning? I also applied to many journalism program ('dying industry' I know) but that's what I'm really passionate about. Which would be the better degree (post-graduation job-wise) to get?

I'm not sure what the market for journalists are since I am not in Journalism at Ryerson, so I won't comment on that.

What I will comment on is your question on the job prospects for a Urban Planning student.
I'm in second year and from what I know so far (it will probably be the same in a couple of years) is that planners will be in demand. However, one needs to realize that the jobs that you are looking for (government wise) will most probably more often than not, end up in smaller towns and regional municipalities.

If you plan on working in the City of Toronto, it can happen (nothing's impossible) but to be honest, I can't really see much planning going on in the city. You will definitely have a higher chance of landing a job opportunity in the west GTA area.

If you are passionate about journalism, I would say go for it, there's nothing wrong with following your dreams.

Both (in my opinion) shall be good for you. Since you like writing (I assume) then either one can help you practice your writing skills as both programs are heavy on the writing aspects of learning.

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0