yconic - Urgent : UofT Engsci vs. Mcgill Engineering vs Waterloo Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Urgent : UofT Engsci vs. Mcgill Engineering vs Waterloo Engineering

A photo of IronMan IronMan
I am an international student and I applied to these schools for engineering and got accepted in all and sincerely would like to know what would be the best choice and why ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
What happened to your U of T love?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I still love the engsci program at UofT but I just wanted to make sure I did the right choice I won't regret!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
I would choose Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
If you think you're good enough go for engsci. if you have doubts don't even think about it. eng sci is the hardest program at one of the hardest unis in north america. Only a handful of people do well. so, if u truly think and know that you have what it takes then go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Yeah I don't think EngSci is worth it for how much work you put in. Like 35+ hours of class a week with uni work load? Wow. Depends on the person though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcPO4yhWSUg <- Watch this EngSci video so funny hahah!

Waterloo you can breathe a bit and is one of the best for engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
Come to U of T!

Besides, isn't it too late to change your choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Current University of Toronto Engineering student here. If you have any questions, post.

Toronto: A lot of people (me included) get into EngSci because of the hype. In your first week with EngSci students you're going to be surrounded by a lot of people who still haven't gotten over getting into the program, and I think the reputation EngSci has precedes the program itself. I don't want to be misinterpreted: I'm not taking a dump on EngSci, but if you're going into it just for the rep and to prove something to yourself (intensity of program?), you're probably going into it for the wrong reasons. That being said if you decide to go to UofT, you can switch into other programs fairly easily within the first two weeks should you find the atmosphere/course work of EngSci not to your liking.

Waterloo: Don't know much about it, but I know the hours are as bad as UofT, and the Coop program is incredible. I understand it puts another year on your studies, but if you're coming out with that much experience, you're probably hirable as soon as you graduate.

McGill: Engineering is not McGill's fortes even though it is a fantastic school. I myself was deadset on McGill last year but decided to go to UofT in the last moment. The Coop program isn't great, and I understand the engineers get shafted w/r/t resources compared to everyone else (don't quote me on this) but it's a great place to be in growing up. Bureaucratic hell though so if you're international and need to process a lot of paperwork on leg, I imagine you'll be standing in a lot of lines for a lot of time though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey all,
thanks for you responses, I am keen on Engsci at University of Toronto, I am not changing anything, I am not going there for reputation, I am going there mainly because of the quality of program, it's a good preparation for grad school and you get to have a broader vision about almost all engineering areas and you discover what you really like and what you really want to do in your future career. I have been admiitted and given a scolarship to go for engsci and I think I have really good capabilities to succeed in engsci, this is not an issue for me as I am ambitious and have strong will. I just posed this question cauz I met many people residing in canada and told me they ve never heard someone like me saying that UofT has the best engineering department in Canada and that waterloo was better because they are the one to design the Blackberry and that waterloo was like harvard of Canada ( LOL ) and they also said Mcgill is a better school. so I felt a little bit insecure and worried thinking I made the bad choice........I kept thinking about it dayz and dayz and I ve come to the conclusion that engsci is just the best for me because it will always let me procastinate and help me make the right choice of my career. Now, please Vel , can you give me an idea of what engsci is really like

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Engineering Science 1T5
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Tell me what exactly about it you want to know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0