yconic - URGENT! Application Essay help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

URGENT! Application Essay help!

A photo of GracePan GracePan
Hey everyone, it's Saturday and the deadline for my school is on Monday. I need to write a 200 word essay about "A Significant Challenge and How I Overcame It".

The first thing that comes to mind is the problem I had with time-management. I've always had a problem with it, but when I was late for an interview at my favourite retailer, I was devastated and ran to the washroom to bawl my eyes out and I was so ashamed of my carelessness that no tears even came out. That was the moment I decided to take control of my life. I went to the book store in the mall, bought time-management and leadership books, and fervently devoured them. I stuck to a schedule, improved my school attendance dramatically, always completed my homework, and increased my average from an 84 to a 91 in one semester. My self control gave me newfound confidence, and I became the leader of several clubs and societies.

By the way that wasn't my essay or anything. Just a recollection of what happened.

The thing is, I'm afraid that if I'm completely honest on the essay and write that time-management was my problem, colleges will think I'm a chronic procrastinator or somebody who is weak minded. What if they think it's something that can't be truly defeated? I read other essays and other people all wrote "my parents got divorced" or something. I'm just scared to put anything on paper. Ugh. Help me please.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@GracePan wrote
Hey everyone, it's Saturday and the deadline for my school is on Monday. I need to write a 200 word essay about "A Significant Challenge and How I Overcame It".

The first thing that comes to mind is the problem I had with time-management. I've always had a problem with it, but when I was late for an interview at my favourite retailer, I was devastated and ran to the washroom to bawl my eyes out and I was so ashamed of my carelessness that no tears even came out. That was the moment I decided to take control of my life. I went to the book store in the mall, bought time-management and leadership books, and fervently devoured them. I stuck to a schedule, improved my school attendance dramatically, always completed my homework, and increased my average from an 84 to a 91 in one semester. My self control gave me newfound confidence, and I became the leader of several clubs and societies.

By the way that wasn't my essay or anything. Just a recollection of what happened.

The thing is, I'm afraid that if I'm completely honest on the essay and write that time-management was my problem, colleges will think I'm a chronic procrastinator or somebody who is weak minded. What if they think it's something that can't be truly defeated? I read other essays and other people all wrote "my parents got divorced" or something. I'm just scared to put anything on paper. Ugh. Help me please.

^ UBC eh?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ye bro
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@GracePan wrote
Ye bro

haha i knew it, i had the same question back in nov for business. What program ru applying?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Just write it... if you don't have any other ideas then there's not much you can do. Besides it shows strength of character to be able to admit your weaknesses as well as overcome them... although I do personally find the time-management idea a bit cliche.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Hey grace....that actually sounds like a good essay answer..

I would use it, because it shows how you are self motivated and take initiative to solve problems. setting a personal schedule shows organization as well as dedication to your academics, and your results seemed to have built self confidence and how you tackle everyday problems.

how is this not a great essay answer? I dont think colleges will think you are a chronic procrastinator, if anything the opposite, that you have now developed a strong work ethic.

just my 2 cents..

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JoshKi: Yeah just like you, Sauder wannabes unite :)

Thanks for the help guys, I finished it and submitted it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
^ cheers! hopfully we can both get in and see u on campus maybe ahah ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0