yconic - Urgent: Grade 11 Course Selections?(!!!) I am quite dying here.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Urgent: Grade 11 Course Selections?(!!!) I am quite dying here.

A photo of Denouement Denouement
I don't know what to do or where to begin, but I hope any of you darlings will help me. :(

My course selections for grade 11 is due soon, and these are what I picked:

ENG3U1
MCR3U1
COP3X0
SBI3U1
SCH3U1
SPH3U1
:!: AVI3M1 : Visual Art 11 (M course)

Alternates:
Exercise Science 4U (wondering if this course is useful?)
CHY4U1

:!: Here's the thing. I want to know whether I can use an M course for my 'Top 6' when I apply early for universities like U of T, Queens, McMasters etc. D8

Thank you very much for your help! :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes as in I can use that art course? ; u ;

Thank you so much for making my life brighter. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
You can use any U of M course, but no C or O courses. So yes, you can use an art course. Not sure what COP3X0 is though, is that co-op or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius
Exercise Science is a an easy course, that is if you are good in memorizing. I am not taking it but most of my friends are.Easy 90 , I hear.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Universities do look at M courses, but it's unlikely to matter for that course in particular. Even for early acceptance schools will already have your midterm grade 12 marks so they are only looking at three of your grade 11 marks at most. If you're going into science (which it looks like you might be) they will probably look at your grade 11 science, math, and English marks. Otherwise they will take your highest grade 11 marks.

Exercise science will be useful if you find the subject interesting, plan on going into something related (ie. kinesiology), or if you think you will do well in it. It never hurt to take a grade 12 course now in order to free up some space later. However, don't assume it's a bird course without talking to people at your school who have taken it. Exercise science is taught differently at every school. At my school it was sometimes more work than physics, bio, or calculus, while at other schools it was a joke.

If you want to take art, take it. It's really unlikely that what you take for that last elective will affect your uni acceptances at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
You can use any U of M course, but no C or O courses. So yes, you can use an art course. Not sure what COP3X0 is though, is that co-op or something?

:O Oh okay~

And yes, COP3X0 is co-op. I already submitted my course selection, but I'm still doubtful about co-op. Some say that co-op is great, but other say it's useless, waste of time, and isn't helpful for your university application at all. I don't know who to believe. :shaking:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aquarius wrote
Exercise Science is a an easy course, that is if you are good in memorizing. I am not taking it but most of my friends are.Easy 90 , I hear.

Oh really? Is it really? Because I am scared if I take it, I might be enrolled into a class with a monster teacher. We have a lot of monster teachers in our school. But if it is interesting and may be of help to me in the future(thinking of being a physiotherapist)... then I will take it. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@Denouement wrote

@jelly wrote

:O Oh okay~

And yes, COP3X0 is co-op. I already submitted my course selection, but I'm still doubtful about co-op. Some say that co-op is great, but other say it's useless, waste of time, and isn't helpful for your university application at all. I don't know who to believe. :shaking:

Your fine. Your already taking the core 5 courses - English, Math, 3 Sciences, so it's okay.

Coop is okay, if you are sure what you want to do in grade 12. You lose 2 course choices which may be prerequisites for your grade 12 courses, so you have to be sure that the courses you are picking are prerequisites for your grade 12 courses. It seems like you are going into science, so that is fine.

But if you aren't sure, then coop might be a problem, because you don't have electives that will allow you to explore your interests. What if you change your mind and you don't want to do science? That happened to a lot of people in grade 11, and they couldn't take accounting (the major business course) or french or spanish or music or art or drama or tech courses, which would've been a huge help for them in grade 12.

Was this helpful? Yes 0