yconic - URGENT PLEASE HELP :( Torn between BA in Psych or BSc...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

URGENT PLEASE HELP :( Torn between BA in Psych or BSc...

A photo of ticklemuffin ticklemuffin
I'm in a con.ed program, so I generally know how things are.

BA or BSc? Who really cares...both are perfectly good routes to a career in teaching. The question you should be asking is whether or not you should be looking into con.ed programs. If you know you want to teach, there's no reason that you shouldn't apply to con.ed programs over a general BA/BSc. In reality, your experiences and interview preparedness are the things that'll really matter when getting a job in teaching. Generally your BA/BSc has very little to do with it (unless you get it in something like French, which would give you an advantage).

Regardless, a psychology degree is likely to require that you take some statistics courses to make sure you have a deep enough understanding of what the material is actually saying. As such, I agree with your decision to take data management.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I'm in a con.ed program, so I generally know how things are.

BA or BSc? Who really cares...both are perfectly good routes to a career in teaching. The question you should be asking is whether or not you should be looking into con.ed programs. If you know you want to teach, there's no reason that you shouldn't apply to con.ed programs over a general BA/BSc. In reality, your experiences and interview preparedness are the things that'll really matter when getting a job in teaching. Generally your BA/BSc has very little to do with it (unless you get it in something like French, which would give you an advantage).

Regardless, a psychology degree is likely to require that you take some statistics courses to make sure you have a deep enough understanding of what the material is actually saying. As such, I agree with your decision to take data management.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
B.A. or B.Sc.

Well, it doesn't really matter.

If you're really interested in the more Biological side of Psych then you can still learn that stuff in a B.A. anyways. The thing with a B.Sc. is that they place a focus on Labs/Experimental Design/Applying your stats knowledge, well at least at U of T :P

But seriously its a Psych degree, so you can choose specific classes to your interest anyways. You'd probably be more focused on Educational Psychology or learning maybe some Cognitive Development, etc.

Don't stress it, but since you sound like you're more focused on the educational side of things I'd go for the B.A.

Was this helpful? Yes 0