yconic - Urgent Question! Please answer?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Urgent Question! Please answer?!

A photo of Emteezy Emteezy
hey guys, so midterms are coming up, I just want to know my chances for the following schools

1. Ryerson Business Management
2. McMaster Business 1
3. Laurier BBA
4. Rotman (LOL no way)

Semester 1
English
Accounting
Econ

Semester 2
Adv Functions 87-88 (PRIVATE SCHOOL)
Business Leadership 88
International Business 91

Average: 84.6-85%

* i really want to get into RYERSON but im scared they won't accept me. I retook advanced functions and i am planning on dropping CALCULUS (which has no effect on my ryerson application) but if i drop calc (62% atm before midterms) i will loose my chances with mcmaster, laurier and rotman. the thing is, with my average including calc it is going to be at a 82.6% which can only get me considered for McMaster. I really want to drop calc because it is such a de-motivator factor for me (no way in hell, i do all my hmwk, do review and ask questions results in a 55% on a test) also, i'm not sure if i can even manage to pass the course in the end -.- I'm really set on going to ryerson, and could care less about the other programs tbh, but i just don't know if i will get in with a 84-85% avg!

PLEASE HELP ME answer these 2 questions!

1. WILL I GET INTO RYERSON FOR SURE?

2. SHOULD I DROP CALCULUS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Emteezy wrote
1. WILL I GET INTO RYERSON FOR SURE?

2. SHOULD I DROP CALCULUS?

1. Yes you should get accepted (you can't be certain until you actually get accepted though.

2. That's a tough call. You said you have your heart set on Ryerson, so if it makes you feel more confident/raises your average then maybe (isn't it too late though? It is at my school). If you want McMaster (which you still have a chance assuming there isn't a set mark you need to get for calculus) then you shouldn't.

But yeah Ryerson should accept you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emteezy Emteezy
thanks for the fast reply,

but if actually wait until i get an acceptance from ryerson, it would then be too late to drop calculus :( so thats why i'm stuck in this situation of not knowing what to do cause im scared i won't get accepted to Ryerson. Cause if i drop it and then get rejected, my last option is UOIT (which i already gotten an offer from)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Emteezy wrote
thanks for the fast reply,

but if actually wait until i get an acceptance from ryerson, it would then be too late to drop calculus :( so thats why i'm stuck in this situation of not knowing what to do cause im scared i won't get accepted to Ryerson. Cause if i drop it and then get rejected, my last option is UOIT (which i already gotten an offer from)

Hmm yeah I can see your predicament here :/

Geez Idk then...that's seriously a tough call...If it raises your average up 3% or whatever...maybe? Talk to a guidance counsellor maybe and see what they think. Wait for other replies though because I honestly don't know what I'd do...that's a toughy.

I hope it works out for you in the end though!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MT MT
Hello ~ i'm actually on a similar boat as you right now..
Except what I applied to are:
1. Waterloo's Arts and Business
2. Laurier's Honours Econ
3. Guelph Bcomm
4. Waterloo's Enviro and Business

I'm also taking calculus right now and I currently have a ~67%
My 1st choice doesn't require calc either though my 2nd and 3rd does, I was thinking of dropping it before midterms but this would mean that I would automatically not have the requirements of Guelph and Laurier (dunno if theyre willing to wait for summer school marks either).
Though I figure that the ~67% cannot/shldn't harm me from getting accepted to Waterloo because i'm not using that mark for my top 6 :D (I emailed them to make sure).
So I decided to stay in calculus until I get accepted to Waterloo (even if it's after midterms and shows up on transcript =P). Though I have a full course load and a spare would be nice =P, but I figure I can handle 4 courses :), just wait until University.. 5 courses a sem =P.

1. Nothing's for sure, but if you work hard, i'm sure you'll get into Ryerson! GOOD LUCK! :)
2. As for dropping calc, if you can handle the course load, you might as well stay, but if you truly believe it has a big negative impact on your other marks, then drop it (THOUGH this means you would be narrowing your choices, as my guidance counsellor said "placing your the eggs in the basket")

Good luck on deciding! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0