yconic - urgent uni question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

urgent uni question

A photo of sunny1011 sunny1011
hey so my friend from schulich said that the max amount of maths unis accept is 2 maths is this true?
lets say i want to use advanced function, calculus and data management as my top 6...can i do this? because my friend is saying i cant
please help
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of apple123 apple123

@sunny1011 wrote
hey so my friend from schulich said that the max amount of maths unis accept is 2 maths is this true?
lets say i want to use advanced function, calculus and data management as my top 6...can i do this? because my friend is saying i cant
please help

DATA can be in your top 6... No need to panic :) Hope I helped
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sunny1011 sunny1011

@apple123 wrote

@sunny1011 wrote
please help

DATA can be in your top 6... No need to panic :) Hope I helped

no that wasnt the question the question was whther or not i can have all three maths as my top 6 (because apparently you can only have max 2 maths as your top 6)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
They will take them as long as they are in your top six. Some programs though may have specific requirements so you aren't able to though. For example, I think nanotech at UW requires/(strongly, strongly recommends) 3 science, english, Adv Func, and Calc, so you wouldn't be able to fit Data into your top 6 for that.

Business programs though should be fine as there aren't a ton of course pre reqs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123
QUESTION: will i be at a disadvantage if my top 6 marks in the 90s while my other gr12 courses are below 50s? as in my average at the end of this semester will be 80 but when second semester comes it will be in the 90s. i know it will probably hurt my early accceptance but will it hinder final acceptance at all?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555

@sunny1011 wrote
please help

Not true....at least for last year this was not true.
You did however last year need 2 maths, AF and Data/Calc

BUT....I did hear they changed some stuff in admissions this year, but I highly doubt this was one of the changes.

Call schuilch's help desk to make sure:
(416) 736-5081. There is almost always someone there and is very helpful. Or you can email them at undergrad@schulich.yorku.ca you should get a response within a day.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@heyppl123 wrote
QUESTION: will i be at a disadvantage if my top 6 marks in the 90s while my other gr12 courses are below 50s? as in my average at the end of this semester will be 80 but when second semester comes it will be in the 90s. i know it will probably hurt my early accceptance but will it hinder final acceptance at all?

Yes..quite a bit..

Your 2nd semester FINAL mark has 0 impact on admission, only maintaining your offer. Because last day to accept offer is like June 2 or something, and then its over... and final exams are like June 20th.

So therefore the only final marks Uni's will see will be first semester (or if you did some in grade 11).

And even in the best case scenario..a program like Rotman which only gives offers after 2nd semester midterm which is good for you cause they will see higher 2nd term marks.....i am not even sure if they would disregard a lower final mark for a higher 2nd sem midterm mark...

First term marks are like 2x as important as second term marks...because 2nd sem finals dont count towards admission and you are usually allowed to drop a few percent in second semester after you get accepted. Dont plan on getting 50s in 1st semester lol.....even if you did bad on 1 test...theres like so much more...its only september
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote

@heyppl123 wrote

Yes..quite a bit..

Your 2nd semester FINAL mark has 0 impact on admission, only maintaining your offer. Because last day to accept offer is like June 2 or something, and then its over... and final exams are like June 20th.

So therefore the only final marks Uni's will see will be first semester (or if you did some in grade 11).

And even in the best case scenario..a program like Rotman which only gives offers after 2nd semester midterm which is good for you cause they will see higher 2nd term marks.....i am not even sure if they would disregard a lower final mark for a higher 2nd sem midterm mark...

First term marks are like 2x as important as second term marks...because 2nd sem finals dont count towards admission and you are usually allowed to drop a few percent in second semester after you get accepted. Dont plan on getting 50s in 1st semester lol.....even if you did bad on 1 test...theres like so much more...its only september

that wass definitely bad news for me... the thing is i've already completed 3 grade 12 courses already, there is really no motivation for me to try hard on a stupid course i am currently taking. Would universities care if im ahead? In a way it was stupid for me to fast track ultimately making me complete 9 gr12 courses while other students complete 6-8 gr12 courses...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heyppl123 wrote

@Jack555 wrote

@heyppl123 wrote

Yes..quite a bit..

that wass definitely bad news for me... the thing is i've already completed 3 grade 12 courses already, there is really no motivation for me to try hard on a stupid course i am currently taking. Would universities care if im ahead? In a way it was stupid for me to fast track ultimately making me complete 9 gr12 courses while other students complete 6-8 gr12 courses...

No they dont care if your ahead...but there is no such thing as being screwed for university in september.

If you want to bump your mark try to take extra classes at nightschool, or online, or your best option at the moment would be to take a class at a private school. They are often easier and uni's surprisingly don't penalize you for taking it at private school.

Which 3 have u taken so far ? Which 3 do u have left?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No they dont care if your ahead...but there is no such thing as being screwed for university in september.

If you want to bump your mark try to take extra classes at nightschool, or online, or your best option at the moment would be to take a class at a private school. They are often easier and uni's surprisingly don't penalize you for taking it at private school.

Which 3 have u taken so far ? Which 3 do u have left?
[/quote]
Isnt it a bit too late to drop a course right now and take it somewhere else? its not the course is hard, its just time consuming. I completed adv func, data, and english scoring 92% with the 3. Courses i have now are IB, accounting, and law. Im doin terrible in law which will bring my top 6 down until second semester hits with calc, OB, and economics
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol dude that is a pretty good semester!

IB and accounting are mark boosters, and the workload isnt too big for them. never took law.
Just do your law homework lol.

Your situation isnt even close to bad -_-
Was this helpful? Yes 0