yconic - US accounting degree looking into CA, CMA, or CGA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

US accounting degree looking into CA, CMA, or CGA?

A photo of rwt1184 rwt1184
Hello Everyone,

I am curious as to which designation would be more desirable for me given my situation:

Due to hockey commitments, I did not begin my university studies until the age of 21. At that time, I earned a scholarship to a university in the United States and graduated Magna Cum Laude B.S. degree with an accounting major at the age of 25, earning some fairly respectable grades. After graduation, I moved back to Alberta and had the opportunity to partner in a small business and decided to take it. As a business owner, none of my focus was concentrated on accounting.

I am now currently 27 years old (been out of school and accounting nearly 3 years) and am interested in pursuing some sort of designation. I still have a fond interest in accounting and wondering if a certain designation may be better than another. Please keep in mind that I am recently married and purchased a house within the past year, so I have expenses to consider as compared to most new graduates. I also live in a small town (pop. 8,000 roughly) and have no desire of moving to the big cities (Calgary or Edmonton) to pursue my accounting career unless there was a huge fiscal benefit. I would love to live and work in my hometown. I understand that to pursue a designation, my business will have to take a back seat which is fine as I am willing to be bought out or step down to just being a shareholder if need be. I am ready to pursue a career in accounting.

I took accounting in university because I enjoyed it and would hate to see my degree not utilized to its full potential. I also heard that if I do not pursue a designation with 10 years of graduating, my accounting degree may not have as much value as it currently does. I am also concerned that my American accounting degree may not fully transfer and I will end up having to take a few more extra classes as compared to a Canadian accounting degree graduate.

Right now, I am leaning towards CGA given my situation but I may be way out to lunch!

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of AZK AZK
I think you will be better off posting that in other forums. Studentawards is populated by high school students and are unlikely to be able to answer your questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@AZK wrote
I think you will be better off posting that in other forums. Studentawards is populated by high school students and are unlikely to be able to answer your questions.

+ 1

Your situation is more complicated than the usual questions most ask and answer here ("Please chance me", "What does fully-accredited mean", "Can you get a CA and CFA" etc.)

College Confidential may be good to try?

--

The only thing I can think of is that a CGA designation would probably be the easiest for you to get- versus the others that are a little more stringent and time-consuming.

Good luck, and congratulations on your success thus far :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0