yconic - Using an iPad at university
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Using an iPad at university

A photo of asyeda asyeda
This question is directed to those who already own an iPad and have used it in a university/classroom setting. How does it compare to using a laptop? Do you have a preference for it, or something else over it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I don't personally have one, but I see a few people using em during class. But most of them aren't taking notes with their iPad or doing anything productive. Most of them just use it to play Draw Something or some other game instead haha. I would imagine that an iPad would be less convenient than a laptop just because everything is touch screen and scrolling through multiple pages and tabs would be more challenging and less efficient.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I'm not in university yet, but I was hoping to use my iPad for electronic copies of some textbooks so I don't have to carry them all around.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@ninetyfour wrote
I'm not in university yet, but I was hoping to use my iPad for electronic copies of some textbooks so I don't have to carry them all around.

You shouldn't have to carry around text books anyways. You really only need them for studying for some courses, you definitely don't need them everyday
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nemmy nemmy
I own an iPad and am planning on using in university. There are many apps that allow you to combine drawing/writing and typing (I'm using Noteshelf and Note Taker HD, haven't done enough field testing to choose one just yet). A stylus really helps, which you can buy (I got one that doubles as a pen for $15, they can get expensive) or make (get a pen with a flat tipped lid or backend, cover tip and up to area of finger placement with tin foil, scotch tape over tip to prevent scratching screen). I'm thinking of investing in a keyboard for faster typing/more screen room, but only if it's on sale. Really, with the extra screen room, you have the same space as a small-page notebook, plus you can type, take pics, vids, add links. I'll probably use the iPad for notes and laptop for research/assignments.

Just some ideas, hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0