yconic - USTC Management&Accounting vs. Rotman Commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

USTC Management&Accounting vs. Rotman Commerce

A photo of cocoappleli cocoappleli
Which program is better?
What's the cut-off mark for each one?
Do I need to submit a supplementary for both?
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
UTSC.
Mid-High 80s. Borderline 90 to be safe.
Yep; UTSC's supp is a lot longer and more detailed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
UTSC.
Mid-High 80s. Borderline 90 to be safe.
Yep; UTSC's supp is a lot longer and more detailed.

What do you mean by a lot longer and more detailed?
I also know that both programs require Calculus and English, and Advanced Functions for UTSC. What marks should I aim to get for English? 85?
I'm taking Calculus next semester, so does that mean I won't get any early offers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
I had Calculus second semester, but I got an early offer. You don't need all your top 6 marks in for early admission. UTSC consider your grade 11 marks.

The supplementary for UTSC was a few pages long. Rotman's was less than a page and it was only one essay question (something along the lines of "how did you demonstrate leadership?").
For UTSC, you had to talk about all your EC's, talk about why you want to apply, what your predicted marks will be, your future goals, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
I had Calculus second semester, but I got an early offer. You don't need all your top 6 marks in for early admission. UTSC consider your grade 11 marks.

The supplementary for UTSC was a few pages long. Rotman's was less than a page and it was only one essay question (something along the lines of "how did you demonstrate leadership?").
For UTSC, you had to talk about all your EC's, talk about why you want to apply, what your predicted marks will be, your future goals, etc.

But let's say that I didn't make it for the early offer, so will I still be able to get an offer in May? Also, I thought that they pay particular attention to prerequisite marks...
By grade 11 marks, do you mean all the marks, or just the ones for second semester?

So for UTSC, what does it mean by what my predicted marks will be?

May I ask what was your average when you got an early offer?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

But let's say that I didn't make it for the early offer, so will I still be able to get an offer in May? Also, I thought that they pay particular attention to prerequisite marks...
By grade 11 marks, do you mean all the marks, or just the ones for second semester?

Hey there,

I'm currently a second year at UTSC's management Co-op. If I recall correctly, the first round is around end of Feb-early & mid March and proceeds until May. May would most likely be the last round of offers so you can still get accepted until May.

For grade 11 marks, I don't think they asked or reviewed my grade eleven marks. However if they did then you clearly state the marks of the entire grade eleven year. If you did poorly in grade 11, don't worry because there are sections in the application that allows you to explain your marks, leadership, extracurricular and a bunch of things. Hence you can always redeem yourself by making your application sound amazing (truthfully of course).

The predicted marks were what type of marks are you predicting to end with during your final grade 12 year. So if you currently have a 78% in English, you can say "my predicted mark for English will be 85%". You typically don't want to over predict or under predict which may affect your early acceptance or your final offer decision.

To answer your last question I had around 87-88% and was offered in Feb or Early March.
(This was like three years ago, so some things might have changed :S)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
If you don't make it to early admission, yes, you can still get an offer later.
By grade 11 marks, I mean all of them.
As for predicted marks, you'll see when you do the application. There's a box that tells you to list out all the courses you're taking in grade 12 and their marks. If you don't have a final mark for a course, you're supposed to predict what your mark will be and type it in.
My average at that time was probably 91-92 ish.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Toronto12 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

Hey there,

I'm currently a second year at UTSC's management Co-op. If I recall correctly, the first round is around end of Feb-early & mid March and proceeds until May. May would most likely be the last round of offers so you can still get accepted until May.

For grade 11 marks, I don't think they asked or reviewed my grade eleven marks. However if they did then you clearly state the marks of the entire grade eleven year. If you did poorly in grade 11, don't worry because there are sections in the application that allows you to explain your marks, leadership, extracurricular and a bunch of things. Hence you can always redeem yourself by making your application sound amazing (truthfully of course).

The predicted marks were what type of marks are you predicting to end with during your final grade 12 year. So if you currently have a 78% in English, you can say "my predicted mark for English will be 85%". You typically don't want to over predict or under predict which may affect your early acceptance or your final offer decision.

To answer your last question I had around 87-88% and was offered in Feb or Early March.

I did good in grade 11, so I actually kind of hope they review it... :P
So on the application, do you need to write essays like you did for Rotman Commerce? I don't really have leaderships, so will that effect the chances of me getting early offers? What other types of questions do they ask?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
As for predicted marks, you'll see when you do the application. There's a box that tells you to list out all the courses you're taking in grade 12 and their marks. If you don't have a final mark for a course, you're supposed to predict what your mark will be and type it in.

I took Advanced Functions in grade 11, so will they still be able to use that mark to calculate my average for early offers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12

@cocoappleli wrote

@Toronto12 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

Hey there,

So on the application, do you need to write essays like you did for Rotman Commerce? I don't really have leaderships, so will that effect the chances of me getting early offers? What other types of questions do they ask?

There's no essay question but there are a lot of questions that ask for your strengths, weaknesses, skills, activities, involvement and other things. It's like an interview because they ask for skills, experiences and your personal goals. (They do this because they want students that are not only good at marks but can also balance their studies with extracurricular.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Toronto12 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@Toronto12 wrote

@cocoappleli wrote

@aeryn wrote

Hey there,

There's no essay question but there are a lot of questions that ask for your strengths, weaknesses, skills, activities, involvement and other things. It's like an interview because they ask for skills, experiences and your personal goals. (They do this because they want students that are not only good at marks but can also balance their studies with extracurricular.)

So do you think that it's easier to get in than Rotman Commerce? Or...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote

Hi, in your opinion, do you think it's easier or harder to get in than Rotman Commerce?

Also, is it true that you're only allowed to apply to one program at UTSC?
Was this helpful? Yes 0