yconic - Utilitarianism vs Deontological ethics
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Utilitarianism vs Deontological ethics

A photo of SiVisPacemParaBellum SiVisPacemParaBellum
Apparently I cannot post in the libertarianism thread. This is in response to matt's post:

The problem is not so much that you disagree with libertarianism, it’s that you (and you’re not alone in this) do not understand the theoretical underpinning of libertarianism, and hence, you’re not even making an argument against it by saying things like,

“I'm not saying that libertarians are irrational, as, ultimately, practice is more important than theory, and I'm sure that libertarians have actual evidence (i.e. not just conjecture) to suggest that most regulation does greater harm than good and, therefore, are reasonable people. At the same time, I'm sure the contrary school of thought has just as strong evidence that most regulation does greater good than harm, hence the contentious nature of the topic. With a contentious topic I have less-than-a-doctoral-student's-knowledge of, I can't help but side with the school of thought that holds the most reasonable argument from a purely theoretical POV.”

This is a deeper issue than just libertarianism vs non-libertarianism. You’re clearly trying to argue from a utilitarian perspective, for the political ideology you think produces the most efficiency or maximizes utility. As I stated before, the majority of libertarians are not concerned with the notion of utility and efficiency (these things are very subjective, and as you said, there is no empirical evidence to suggest that intervention is any more efficient than a deregulated market). Their support of libertarianism follows from natural law, which follows from reason and from the evolutionary stable strategy for the use of force, and their view is that the government should exist only to protect people from any violation of their natural rights – right to life, right to property, etc – and to punish anyone who initiate force against them.

The theoretical foundation of deontological libertarianism is much more rigorous and logical than any political ideology that supports utilitarianism.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
derp
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
One libertarian might argue that deregulation is good because it does greater good than harm for society as a whole; one libertarian might argue that deregulation is good simply because regulation restricts freedom. I can only take your word for it that most libertarians are of the latter group. Sure, libertarianism draws a lot from deontology; I wasn't talking about libertarianISM, I was talking about libertarians (some of whom favour deontology, some of whom favour utilarianism).

People who strongly believe in libertarianism because of its attachments to deontology do not need evidence to support their belief in libertarianism.

I personally side with utilitarianism, but I still favour regulation to even consequentialist libertarianism (for reasons mentioned before).
Was this helpful? Yes 0