yconic - UTM alternate offer...?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTM alternate offer...?

A photo of Kamil94 Kamil94
I wanted to go to bcom (accounting) at utm. but they gave me an alternate offer for social science! I was wondering... if i do good this second semester... will they consider me for their normal Bcom program or is this alternate offer all i got?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of v70 v70
They will reconsider your application for BComm after they receive your 2nd semester midterm marks. I got an alternate from UTM for "Studies in Business", which basically means I take the same 1st year business courses as BComm students. I have to ace first year and then apply to BComm for second. If I don't make it, I have to switch to something else, like economics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Inquires Inquires

@v70 wrote
They will reconsider your application for BComm after they receive your 2nd semester midterm marks. I got an alternate from UTM for "Studies in Business", which basically means I take the same 1st year business courses as BComm students. I have to ace first year and then apply to BComm for second. If I don't make it, I have to switch to something else, like economics.

Did you contact them yourself about this?

I received the offer as well, does it mean we still have a chance for acceptance to their commerce program after midterms?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kamil94 Kamil94
i want to know the answer of the above question as well :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
So whats the difference between getting accepted into commerce then accepted into studies in business from highschool?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of v70 v70

@Viking21 wrote
So whats the difference between getting accepted into commerce then accepted into studies in business from highschool?

I'm not sure exactly sure what the difference is. Either way you have to "make it" into commerce for 2nd year. Maybe BComm students get preferential treatment. Here's what the UTM website says:

"Admission to First Year Studies in Commerce
Students admitted to First Year Studies in Commerce will be eligible for a place in the Commerce program (BCom) after first year, provided you complete Financial Accounting I (MGT 120H5 with at least 63%), Introduction to Economics (ECO100Y5 with at least 63%) and Calculus and Linear Algebra for Commerce (MAT133Y5 with at least 50%), or equivalent. You must also complete a total of 4.0 credits and obtain at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average (CGPA). The exact required CGPA varies each year depending on the number of applicants and their grades.

Admission to First Year Studies in Business
As a student in First Year Studies in Business, you may choose to pursue the Commerce program or the Management program by selecting the appropriate courses in first year and meeting the following requirements.
To proceed into the Commerce program (BCom) after first year, you must complete Financial Accounting I (MGT 120H5 with at least 63%), Introduction to Economics (ECO100Y5 with at least 63%) and Calculus and Linear Algebra for Commerce (MAT133Y5 with at least 50%), or equivalent. You must also complete a total of 4.0 credits and obtain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 2.5. The exact CGPA cut off varies each year depending on the number of applicants and their grades."

Look at your OUAC account, your original application to commerce is still there. The alternate offer is added just below. You can decline the alternate offer, and the application to commerce remains.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Inquires Inquires

@v70 wrote
Look at your OUAC account, your original application to commerce is still there. The alternate offer is added just below. You can decline the alternate offer, and the application to commerce remains.

Do you have to decline the alternate offer in order to receive the admission for commerce?

Or...

Do you get the admission for commerce regardless if you decline the alternate offer or not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cookie94 Cookie94

@v70 wrote

Are you sure about this? Because I had the average for the commerce program but I applied to the "Studies in Business" because i wanted a BBA Degree.

Did I just unknowingly screw myself over?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of v70 v70
For BBA you have to apply to Management, studies on Business is the alternate for that program as well.

I just called admissions, they said that your original application will be reconsidered once they receive your term 2 midterms or your final grades. You do not have to decline the alternate.

Also, you can accept the alternate, and once you have your term 2 midterms and or final grades, you can submit them and ask to be reconsidered for the original program you applied for. Unless you are set on UTM, I wouldn't accept the alternate. Once you accept it, they don't have to offer you anything different. You're stuck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0