yconic - UTM Commerce/Management
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTM Commerce/Management

A photo of Happy123 Happy123
I would like to apply to either UTM Commerce or Management, could someone please explain the difference between the two. thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Jdot111 Jdot111
Commerce is a degree that you can specialize in finance, accounting, marketing, HR and economics.

Management is a degree which you can specialize in Management only.

if you get accepted you have to compete to get into 2nd year. for management you need a 3.15-3.3 gpa. and commerce you need 2.75-2.9 (it varies each year)

Commerce is highly competitive however now that Management is a BBA it is just as competitive. If you plan to go here, prepare to bring your A game.

soucre: former UTM commerce student
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Happy123 Happy123

@Jdot111 wrote
Commerce is a degree that you can specialize in finance, accounting, marketing, HR and economics.

Management is a degree which you can specialize in Management only.

if you get accepted you have to compete to get into 2nd year. for management you need a 3.15-3.3 gpa. and commerce you need 2.75-2.9 (it varies each year)

Commerce is highly competitive however now that Management is a BBA it is just as competitive. If you plan to go here, prepare to bring your A game.

soucre: former UTM commerce student

Thank you. :cheers: Also, do you know what a lot of the students go into at commerce? Do a lot of recruiters for finance come there? Thanks again
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jdot111 Jdot111
accounting. there are 300 spots for commerce, roughly 175 are accounting, 75 are finance, the rest are HR and marketing. when i have classes at UTM campus all i see are posters for recruiting events. but keep in mind you can also go to recruiting events at the other two campuses.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KathleenE KathleenE
Commerce is a great program. Leads to a B.Comm degree where as Management leads to a BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration).

Both programs are deregulated at UTM (so looking to pay approx. $12,000 vs. 6000 at any other university) a year no matter how many courses you take (so 4 credits vs. 6 credits, you still pay same amount).

Both programs are highly competitive and you must work hard to get decent grades. (I was a 90+% student in high school and now have to work even harder just to break a 70%).

It's an accomplishment if you get accepted, so take it if you do. Just be prepared!

source: current commerce student at UTM
Was this helpful? Yes 0