yconic - Utopia Society
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Utopia Society

A photo of JensenHuang JensenHuang
List all the qualities of a Utopian society that you believe should possess.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
41 replies

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
-The year has to be 1984.
-The world has to be divided into three super-states.
-The ruler of one Superstate is called Big Brother.
-Big Brother is Watching you.
-??????
-PROF(PH?????)IT!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
A perfect society consists of me being the only person left in the universe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VGranova VGranova
The idea of a utopia sounds depressing to me... not to say impossible.
I guess human nature is so flawed, a perfect society is only possible if we all become robots.
So my answer is: robots. Kind of like Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, except more automated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DOV94 DOV94

@gassergasser wrote
-The year has to be 1984.
-The world has to be divided into three super-states.
-The ruler of one Superstate is called Big Brother.
-Big Brother is Watching you.
-??????
-PROF(PH?????)IT!

Yeaaa...didn't really like that book. Not for me. :P

But back to the origional question...I really don't think there's one utopia that everyone can agree on. It's like that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" quote, only backwards: "one man's treasure is another man's trash". Sure, there's probably a few things that everyone would agree on (like maybe less taxes or something), but in the end, does everyone really want and need the same thing to be happy? It's just a thought. Not saying it's the truth. I could be wrong. Just my thinking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I thought 1984 was a wonderful novel... the second time I read it anyway :P

Utopias cannot exist. Karl Marx proved this with communism. Great idea, the fact that everyone is literally equal, no one has more than anyone else, but in reality it has one major flaw: the greediness of human beings. He did not take into account the human condition when writing the Communist Manifesto.

Humans thrive on being greater than others, they like to know there is someone below them, they like to know that they are getting rewarded for their intelligence and hard work. The first and only Utopia was the Garden of Eden, and Adam and Eve kind of screwed that one up for everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ameliahutchison ameliahutchison
is this for the "Get outside your world" essay?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
Equallibrium
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Leesh1993 Leesh1993
all you need is love <3

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katzel Katzel
Similar to one of the posts above me, I believe that a Utopia would be somewhat depressing. Ths idea applies to someone who is immortal: although at first the premise of eternal life might sound great, the actuality of it is that being immortal would be depressing. Living eternally means making up for mistakes, and having an infinite time to complete your goals. Therefore, you would be on a constant pursuit to attain a goal that is better than your last. After a while, this would no longer become possible, as everyone has a point where they "peak". After this happens, it would just be a constant spiral downward into endless boredom.. In a utopia, a constant note of happiness would ask for some sort of up or down at some point, which wouldn't be possible. BORING

Thats just my theory, though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Stripers and beer....and we already have this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Two words: Pipe dream.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pumpkinsoup pumpkinsoup

@VGranova wrote
The idea of a utopia sounds depressing to me... not to say impossible.
I guess human nature is so flawed, a perfect society is only possible if we all become robots.
So my answer is: robots. Kind of like Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, except more automated.

I don't think the achient greeks and all the other philsophers who studied this subject thought of it as depressing. Though I do see your point, an Utopia is something that man-kind wishes to achieve, but as one attemps to reach the speed of light, or an unattainable perfection, the world slows down...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
One man (me)
Attractive women that wants me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@Bossofbosses wrote
One man (me)

The Garden of Eden?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@littleroom wrote

@Bossofbosses wrote
One man (me)

The Garden of Eden?

Nope. The Garden of Eden was free of grammar mistakes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of chatmike chatmike
The ideal society can only be achieved if you remove the negative qualities of mankind, IE greed, anger, intolerance, violence, power, ignorance etc. Because all the problems that anyone has with society boil down to human error. You want no wars? Well if the corporate fatcats weren't so greedy, we wouldn't be in Afghanistan. If people weren't territorial they wouldn't defend Afghanistan. If people weren't violent, they wouldn't fight in Afghanistan. The list goes on.

The ideal society can never be ideal as long as we're apart of it. Well unless we genetically manipulate ourselves (or pick and choose genetic qualities) in the near future ;) Aryan race anyone?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@chatmike wrote
The ideal society can only be achieved if you remove the negative qualities of mankind, IE greed, anger, intolerance, violence, power, ignorance etc. Because all the problems that anyone has with society boil down to human error. You want no wars? Well if the corporate fatcats weren't so greedy, we wouldn't be in Afghanistan. If people weren't territorial they wouldn't defend Afghanistan. If people weren't violent, they wouldn't fight in Afghanistan. The list goes on.

The ideal society can never be ideal as long as we're apart of it. Well unless we genetically manipulate ourselves (or pick and choose genetic qualities) in the near future ;) Aryan race anyone?

lolll, Aryan race? what is this, second coming of Je--I mean Hitler?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@shirlx wrote

@chatmike wrote

lolll, Aryan race? what is this, second coming of Je--I mean Hitler?

That was the obvious allusion, yes. Hitler was trying to create a utopia, and ironically he had similar ideas as the people in this thread. Thats the kicker, everyone wants a utopia, but no one likes the process leading to that utopia. Because it really isn't that pleasant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
I am Napoleon the Pig. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Four legs good, two legs better! Four legs good, two legs better!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@danielleNthorn wrote
I thought 1984 was a wonderful novel... the second time I read it anyway :P

Utopias cannot exist. Karl Marx proved this with communism. Great idea, the fact that everyone is literally equal, no one has more than anyone else, but in reality it has one major flaw: the greediness of human beings. He did not take into account the human condition when writing the Communist Manifesto.

Humans thrive on being greater than others, they like to know there is someone below them, they like to know that they are getting rewarded for their intelligence and hard work. The first and only Utopia was the Garden of Eden, and Adam and Eve kind of screwed that one up for everyone.

Very true. I completely agree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LRooke wrote
I am Napoleon the Pig. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Four legs good, two lets better! Four legs good, two lets better!

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Was this helpful? Yes 0