yconic - UTSC CO-OP MGMT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSC CO-OP MGMT

A photo of TofuForU TofuForU
Im a UTSC MGMT Student ask me anything :)

>

>

>

oh how i miss these threads
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of mercenary mercenary
how is recruitment for finance/iBanking?
And is the social scene really horrible?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mercenary wrote
how is recruitment for finance/iBanking?
And is the social scene really horrible?

good questions i like :)

The recruitment for finance jobs are pretty good at UTSC, we have a co-op program with strong alliances with the big Canadian banks and you can definitely be successful at UTSC if you purse a finance specialization. To solidify my point you can look at http://www.linkedin.com/in/derrickfung; derrick's career and what he got out of the Co-Op program at UTSC.

As for social scene it should be taken to account that UTSC is a commuter school and a lot of people goto school and go back home to study or do w.e. BUT, you can have a rich social life here I believe if you get involved and join clubs that interest you, you can find friends for me it was dragonboat and MESA (Management and Economics Students' Association).

Also i want to clear up the misconception of how a school having a good social scene will make you suddenly a social superstar, if you never had friends in high school and had a hard time "fitting in" you won't in a university even with amazing school spirit such as western or queens, its all about you and what you want out of the university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
Hey,

Congratz for getting into co-op! Uhmm I made a pretty big mistake a few weeks ago, I chose UTSC mgmt co-op at first but then.. I changed to Rotman Commerce. If I changed it back to UTSC mgmt on ouac, can I still apply and be eligible?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CityBoy wrote
Hey,

Congratz for getting into co-op! Uhmm I made a pretty big mistake a few weeks ago, I chose UTSC mgmt co-op at first but then.. I changed to Rotman Commerce. If I changed it back to UTSC mgmt on ouac, can I still apply and be eligible?

I'm a first year student just to clear things up ;P
having utsc as first choice by no means hinders your chance of getting an offer; it's just ouac wants to give universities an idea of how many students want to get into a certain program or school so they do rankings. hope that clears things up.

btw, since you mentioned ouac rankings for admission I think you would appreciate this.
https://webapps.utsc.utoronto.ca/ose/story.php?id=2591&sectid=1

edit: totally read your question wrong lol,

its gonna take a few business days to process but yeah you still eligible. your probably going to be viewed for 2nd round offers assuming they already made the first round offers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey I was wondering if u had stats for:
Employment upon gradution, and graduating salary for finance and accounting fields
I'm tryna decide between schulich and Toronto
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mercenary wrote
Employment upon gradution, and graduating salary for finance and accounting fields

I'll get back to you on the employment statistics when i run into them but heres a neat fact, Co-op placement is 100% partly due to the fact that if a student fails to find a work placement they are kicked out of the co op program :), but be assured there is lots of help to get you there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
TofuForU, I love your name :bounce:

Oh, I guess I have to ask a question now.
ok.

What is the greatest advantage of a studying at a satellite campus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Alizarin wrote
TofuForU, I love your name :bounce:

Oh, I guess I have to ask a question now.
ok.

What is the greatest advantage of a studying at a satellite campus?

haha thanks :).

There isn't any major advantage of studying at UTSC compared to studying at st.george but there are a few perks:
1. We get to use all uoft facilities (eg. Robarts library, st.george athletic facilities)
2. Our degree says University of Toronto and not University of Toronto Scarborough
3. We are the only co-op business program within the 3 UofT Campuses :)
4. Closer to home :) (i'd hate the trip to st.george or schulich *long commutes >.< )

hope that answers your question!

what am i doing up at 4 in the morning lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Makes sense to me! Thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

no prob, thanks for the question :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mercenary wrote

Hey, as promised i said i would get back to you... so heres the link :)

http://www.utoronto.ca/about-uoft/measuring-our-performance/cudo/cudo_2008/other.htm

This data is 2008 but its still relevant you can look around the other years employment data as well but business is not recorded but overall uoft employment went up probably from the jobs created post recession.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanksss
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
average going in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Bossofbosses wrote
average going in?

87% avg in high school with solid EC's and a well written SAF :)

Apparently this year its gonna be a little more competitive, https://webapps.utsc.uto...hp?id=2591&sectid=1. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@TofuForU wrote

@Bossofbosses wrote
average going in?

Apparently this year its gonna be a little more competitive, https://webapps.utsc.uto...hp?id=2591&sectid=1. Good luck!

Broken link?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VPRAWR VPRAWR
Just wondering that when you applied to the program it asked you to choose your major of interest, can you change it in the first year or does it not matter? Friend told me you choose your major in the 3rd year and the major of interest is some survey they do o_o.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey, do you think I can make it into the regular management program with an 84 avg? I also had a well written SAF.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iL33T iL33T
Question...
I have already got accepted to UTM and I just applied to UTSCim just wondering how does this coop works.
do u apply directly from highschool? or is it after ur 1st year, 2nd year.. etc?
also whats better? UTM or UTSC and why?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@TofuForU wrote

@Bossofbosses wrote
average going in?

Broken link?

sorry ill just sum it up right now, it was an article which pretty much said there are more smart kids applying to UTSC, more in the 90th percentile range (90 avg students) and in larger quantity when juxtaposed with last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@VPRAWR wrote
Just wondering that when you applied to the program it asked you to choose your major of interest, can you change it in the first year or does it not matter? Friend told me you choose your major in the 3rd year and the major of interest is some survey they do o_o.

Yes, they ask you on OUAC what specialization you want to get into but it doesn't matter because like your friend said you pick anytime after first year. It's called subject posting but you'll learn about that later, I applied with finance specialization but I'm probably going to change to accounting :) hope this answers your question.

@arcchit wrote

Hey, do you think I can make it into the regular management program with an 84 avg? I also had a well written SAF.

well, I know a girl who made it with a 81 avg and i know someone who got into co-op with 84, so if your lucky you might make co-op. UTSC looks at marks and SAF 50/50 so if you have a good saf you'd probably get in :) ( maybe even co-op if competition isn't that bad )

@iL33T wrote

Question...
I have already got accepted to UTM and I just applied to UTSCim just wondering how does this coop works.
do u apply directly from highschool? or is it after ur 1st year, 2nd year.. etc?
also whats better? UTM or UTSC and why?
Thanks

First off congratz you got accepted to a university of toronto school, UTM was also the first to accept me as well :). Co-Op is a great perk of the UTSC program which allows students to work in real firms and companies for real money and experience.

The co-op experience puts us apart from not only the other UofT business programs but top-teir business schools as well eg. schulich,ivey,queens ( they don't have co-op ) so they're graduates rely on the rep of the school to find jobs whereas utsc you have experience already. I could really go on forever about the benifits but how does 15-30k in 4 months sound?

To get into co-op there are many ways actually, i say directly through highschool would be the easiest, but you can apply during first year and keep applying as long as you don't have more than 10 uoft credits ( 2 years ).

I don't want to be bias but I believe UTSC > UTM
the reason i say this is
1) co-op program
2) brand new management building ( finished for 2011 fall academic session )
3) Rotman and UTSC has the same curriculum
4) Smarter students ( requirements are generally higher )
5) top teir clubs and DSA's ( our deca chapter won chapter of the year award )

I hope i answered all of your questions sorry for taking a while to get back to you all, i have a life too :P

Was this helpful? Yes 0