yconic - UTSC Management to become a CA/Lawyer?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSC Management to become a CA/Lawyer?

A photo of hyrussk71 hyrussk71
I'm going into UTSC for NON co-op management, and was wondering what kind of standing I have with regards to others in qualifying to be a future CA/CPA/(one other?) when compared with other University programs.

I've read that Waterloo's AFM and York's Schulich business programs are seen as one of the best with regards to this. Also, my program is not one of the Accredited Programs found on the CA website, which is kind of making me a bit worried.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ceeps ceeps
I'm pretty sure for law school they don't care what school/program you're in -- You just need a high gpa and lsat (lsat 160+)
For CA, depends on what type of firm you want but if you just want a CA, it doesn't really matter what school you go to as long as you get requirements + work experience with any accounting firm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
UTSC is not fully-accredited. However, it has all of the 51 credit-hours so you can still fulfill your CA requirements. You just do not receive some of the benefits of being in a fully-accredited programs (all of which could be considered the "top" programs I guess).

You would become a CA, not a CPA. CPA is American. You can actually become a CPA as well if you are already a CPA, there is a process through CICA and whatever the American Institute is and you write a reciprocation exam.

All you have to do is keep your marks up and try to gain relevant work experience in the summers. Sales experience is good or whatever you can find (trying to get into a CA firm would be best). Finish your CA hours with a CATO firm and you are good.

UTSC compared to other programs isn't that much different, it's better than some and not as good as other. Co-op can be a big plus, and attending a reputable program such as Schulich and Waterloo can help with recruitment, but essentially you will be on the same page as everyone. UTSC is certainly not a bad school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@g93 wrote
UTSC is not fully-accredited. However, it has all of the 51 credit-hours so you can still fulfill your CA requirements. You just do not receive some of the benefits of being in a fully-accredited programs (all of which could be considered the "top" programs I guess).

You would become a CA, not a CPA. CPA is American. You can actually become a CPA as well if you are already a CPA, there is a process through CICA and whatever the American Institute is and you write a reciprocation exam.

All you have to do is keep your marks up and try to gain relevant work experience in the summers. Sales experience is good or whatever you can find (trying to get into a CA firm would be best). Finish your CA hours with a CATO firm and you are good.

UTSC compared to other programs isn't that much different, it's better than some and not as good as other. Co-op can be a big plus, and attending a reputable program such as Schulich and Waterloo can help with recruitment, but essentially you will be on the same page as everyone. UTSC is certainly not a bad school.

One could become a CPA if that was the goal. However, all of the examinations would be done trough the American office. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ The Canadian schools likely aren't accredited. I think the only way would be to go to school in the US or to get your CA first.

For all intents and purposes, he/she is going to become a CA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@g93 wrote
^ The Canadian schools likely aren't accredited. I think the only way would be to go to school in the US or to get your CA first.

For all intents and purposes, he/she is going to become a CA.

If we refer to the NY Office of Professionals, we can see that the board reviews all applications from all institutions around the world and doesn't look at the institution itself, but rather at the course work completed in the undergraduate program. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BobTheBuilder BobTheBuilder
If your goal is law school, avoid Management at UTSC. Look into something in the Humanities or Social Sciences departments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0