yconic - UTSC or Waterloo - What's better
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSC or Waterloo - What's better

A photo of ragingtiger ragingtiger
The deadline to accept offers is approaching fast but I have yet to make a final decision. I got accepted to 2 programs that I am seriously considering:

1) UTSC Management Co-op
2) Waterloo AFm - FM

I intend on pursuing a CA or CFA designation in terms of my career.

Which would be the better school to go to next year? Why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of jtsai jtsai
if you are going to become a CA, then go to Waterloo. If you are unsure what you want to do, then go to UTM. I was faced with a similar decision between Waterloo AFM and Rotman Commerce. I chose Rotman Commerce because im unsure. but if you know you want to become a CA, definitely go to Waterloo. Waterloo has a great program for accounting! And if you do their MAcc year 5, then you get to skip the first 2 exams for CA/CFA. Also, their co-op, if you manage to find a job in a accounting firm, it will count towards your CA hours. SO definitely a plus there. But those Accounting firm jobs are hard to find. SO good Luck!

Both are great schools, you can't go wrong. Waterloo, and UofT are both good schools, with a reputable backing. Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone know, for the AFM program, if I can specialize in something other than the 3 designations (CA/CMA/CFA) like for instance strategic management, consulting etc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ragingtiger wrote
Does anyone know, for the AFM program, if I can specialize in something other than the 3 designations (CA/CMA/CFA) like for instance strategic management, consulting etc?

No, you will specialize in public accounting (CA), management accounting (CMA) or finance (CFA).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Respects wrote
In Waterloo's Accounting program you can still take different business courses like a regular business program. Waterloo is not a commuter school like UTSC and you'll have a better campus life there. They both have really good coop programs. I've heard UTSC is much harder to do well in.

Waterloo doesn't have many business courses to choos from. There are some incorporated into the program (eg international business, marketing, business IT, business context, a couple case study courses, and a new focus on finance courses- golobal financial markets, managerial and corporate finance, etc.)

But as for electives, the only business elective you can really take other than finance is HR.

You can try and take business courses at Laurier as your electives. You do have to watch though, some WLU courses are anti-reqs for some of AFM's required courses, but they do not fulfill the requirements. So basically you can't take the AFM course but you don't get the credit counting towards your degree. Ouch. So double check. There's a form you have to fill out and get approved by UW and WLU.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is it easier to maintain a high GPA at UTSC or Waterloo?
In terms of co-op/job opportunities, which of the two is better for getting them?
Was this helpful? Yes 0