yconic - UTSG - Should I switch my application from Life Sci to Arts?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSG - Should I switch my application from Life Sci to Arts?

A photo of tigerwoods tigerwoods
What are you planning to do after undergrad?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Qq Qq
What are you planning to do after undergrad?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I plan on going to med school and if I don't get into med school, then grad school or research in some science/engineering field.

Also, if I do decide to switch to Arts (either Philosophy or Sociology since I heard it's a lot easier to get into those programs), will I still be able to take the same classes as the LifeSci students or will I be forced to take a philosophy/sociology class in my first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@tigerwoods wrote
Also, if I do decide to switch to Arts (either Philosophy or Sociology since I heard it's a lot easier to get into those programs), will I still be able to take the same classes as the LifeSci students or will I be forced to take a philosophy/sociology class in my first year?

They ask you what you intend to major in so that come course selection time, you have priority for the prerequisites required under your intended major. So yes, you will have trouble registering into the courses Life Science students will be in. I've forgotten the duration, but there is a time period where only courses that are Priority for you (meaning directly required for your intended major) are open for you and everyone else in that major to take. In other words, during this time period, no English major can register into a biology course.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Don't you only need like an 80 average for Life Sci?

If your goal is med school you're probably better off at another school though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
But technically speaking, you can get into med school with any undergrad degree.
But it wouldn't make sense if you went into med school with an BA but wanting to be a doctor.
I think your marks are probably already good enough for Life Sci though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I also heard UT was a GPA killer. I guess if I don't get into LifeSci, I will think of it as a lucky break and go to an easier school. Thanks for the help :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Okay then.

So if your goal is med school then that is true, UT Life Sciences is hard and a lot of people fail to get the GPA to get into med school. And it's really your choice since med school doesn't care what your major was as long as you take the prerequisite courses

What I would do in your position is to not go to UT if you think it will be too hard, even if you goto a school like York and get a 3.9 GPA versus that 3.6 you get at UT they'll take the York person
Was this helpful? Yes 0