yconic - UTSG Life Science Courses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSG Life Science Courses

A photo of Mikaa Mikaa
Hi everyone,

I know there are tons of UTSG Life science threads. I wanted to start one where current or previous students can share their input on what's best in regards to studying concerning certain courses (or at least what worked well for them).

For example, I've heard that for certain courses, it's best to listen during the lecture and take notes later from the recording. For others, I've heard its best to take the notes during the lecture and then simply listen to the recording/reread your notes, etc.

So, what worked best for you?

Here are the courses I will be taking:

CHM138 and CHM139

BIO120 and BIO130

MAT135 and MAT136

PSY100 and some other elective, and then my first year seminar course.

Please feel free to share any other tips you have as well (serious responses only please; "STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM UTSG AS POSSIBLE" is not the kind of tip I'm looking for).

Thanks in advance. :salut:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
If you are going to record the class, make sure you have permission to do so. Some profs do not allow recordings, unless you have a reason for doing so (ie. accommodation due to a disability/learning disability, etc.) and if they find you recording, you could face various penalties.

So definitely check into both the university's policy, and the prof's as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mikaa Mikaa

@CatRunner wrote
If you are going to record the class, make sure you have permission to do so. Some profs do not allow recordings, unless you have a reason for doing so (ie. accommodation due to a disability/learning disability, etc.) and if they find you recording, you could face various penalties.

So definitely check into both the university's policy, and the prof's as well.

Yeah, definitely. I will get a small recorder but always ask them first. Some friends of mine that go to UTSG tell me that some profs let you place it in front of them and pick it up at the end of class.

The recordings I was talking about, though, are the ones that they post online.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KilgoreTrout KilgoreTrout

@Mikaa wrote

Not all profs post lecture notes online. In my experience during first year, only 2 of my profs actually posted stuff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mikaa Mikaa

@KilgoreTrout wrote

@Mikaa wrote

Not all profs post lecture notes online. In my experience during first year, only 2 of my profs actually posted stuff.

I see. I guess everyone's experiences are different, depending on the profs. That's something I'll have to wait to find out when I start my classes. Do you have any advice regarding the specific classes that you took?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mikaa Mikaa
Anyone? :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Mikaa wrote
I see. I guess everyone's experiences are different, depending on the profs. That's something I'll have to wait to find out when I start my classes. Do you have any advice regarding the specific classes that you took?

Yes. Chill out and wait until school starts to freak out lol. Attend the first lecture of each class, listen to the prof, read the syllabus, and judge for yourself what the best way to handle that particular class will be. It all depends on the person, the prof, and the class lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mikaa Mikaa

@KilgoreTrout wrote

@Mikaa wrote

Yes. Chill out and wait until school starts to freak out lol. Attend the first lecture of each class, listen to the prof, read the syllabus, and judge for yourself what the best way to handle that particular class will be. It all depends on the person, the prof, and the class lol.

Lol, I'm not the type of person who freaks out all the time. Obviously I will do all of those things, I was simply asking people what worked best for them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MargaretClaire MargaretClaire

@Mikaa wrote
Hi everyone,

I know there are tons of UTSG Life science threads. I wanted to start one where current or previous students can share their input on what's best in regards to studying concerning certain courses (or at least what worked well for them).

For example, I've heard that for certain courses, it's best to listen during the lecture and take notes later from the recording. For others, I've heard its best to take the notes during the lecture and then simply listen to the recording/reread your notes, etc.

So, what worked best for you?

Here are the courses I will be taking:

CHM138 and CHM139

BIO120 and BIO130

MAT135 and MAT136

PSY100 and some other elective, and then my first year seminar course.

Please feel free to share any other tips you have as well (serious responses only please; "STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM UTSG AS POSSIBLE" is not the kind of tip I'm looking for).

Thanks in advance. :salut:

Hey fellow UofT-er!
I have taken CHM138, CHM139, and MAT135. When I was in 1st year we didn't have BIO120/130, it was just BIO150... so I won't be able to really give you advice there.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, every class is different so depending on the lecturer style, you may need to alter how you study for the course.

For MAT135... I'm pretty sure none of the profs post up slides... because it is math and so much easier to write by hand. For this course and for the chem courses as well... I would suggest do all of the practice questions that are assigned BEFORE tutorial, so that you will be able to ask your TA of anything that you need clarification on. Also, don't forget about office hours, you can get extra help from the profs themselves!

For CHM138/139 ... and any course in general, skim lecture notes (if provided) before the lecture so that you have an idea of what's going on. Reading the chapters before lecture is also good, but its pretty difficult (at least for me) because time is so limited! lol

I didn't use a recorder for those three courses... since they deal with solving problems and have required textbooks, you can basically find what you need from the lectures and textbook.

For courses without a textbook, I usually used recordings (provided that the prof would let us). Basically, took down all the notes that I could during lecture, and if I missed something I would listen to that part of the recording.

Another general tip that you've probably heard before, review the lecture notes that you have made. It doesn't have to be right after, but try and do it before you have the next lecture for the particular classes.

=)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MargaretClaire MargaretClaire
goodluck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Mikaa wrote
Lol, I'm not the type of person who freaks out all the time. Obviously I will do all of those things, I was simply asking people what worked best for them.

The advice that I told you was what worked for me...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mikaa Mikaa
Okay, well thankyou KilgoreTrout and MargaretClaire for your input!
Was this helpful? Yes 0