yconic - UTSG Life Science.. Worrying
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSG Life Science.. Worrying

A photo of xtread xtread
I don't know how long I can worry, I'm extremely nervous and I know my chances of making ut life sciences are slim. I'm getting a 65 in english and a 77.5 average.. without english it's 80.2. I'm really worried that I'm not going to get utsg and utsc... nothing from them at all.

just really depressed
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of mnborka mnborka
I have a 79.8 average top 6. What is your top 6 including prereq? I'm also worried I Havent heard back yet either. Dont be sad until all decisions are made we may not have much to worry about. Besides everyone who goes on this site either has no clue what their talking about or have like crazy good averages which is only about 15% of acceptances anyways. So just keep your cool and be positive. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xtread xtread
I have 2 P School Courses too :(

Calculus-81 (p)
Advanced Functions - 85 (retake)
English - 65 (taking it right now and it's even lower for midterm...)
Ex Science - 87
Biology - 74
Chemistry - 73 (p)

my chances are almost like 0.. sigh*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know how you feel I have anxiety problems. But or thing I've learned is to stop and ask yourself: a) what's the worst that can happen? In our cases it's getting rejected. B) what can I do if the worst happens? In my case I will probably either go back a semester or go to ryerson and transfer next year. C) why did this happen? Because my marks were too low. When it's looked at like that it doesn't seem all That bad, it's just one more year wait.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra

@xtread wrote

Calculus-81 (p)
Ex Science - 87
Biology - 74
Chemistry - 73 (p)

Yea you probably don't have a good chance of getting in. U of T frowns upon retakes (from what i've heard) and you also can't have a prerequisite under either 70 or 75 and english is very important. I'm not sure about UTSC but I got into UTSG with an 83.8 with no mark below 81
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of j1026 j1026
Don't worry too much, I got in with an 82.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xtread xtread
i really hope they look at my high school.. I go to a high school with the craziest, hardest english standard in the whole ontario..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Don't let people like that tell you your chances, cause they have no idea what u of t does. Besides I contacted them and they only look at retaken courses if it comes down to the wire between you and one person pretty much. And your extracurriculars will also do some good :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xtread xtread
thanks mnborka :( I really hope so because I know a few people who got in with high 70s and i hope one of them cud be me :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Don't worry too much until the final day. We should know soon. There are plenty of people in the same boat including me I have 77eng 77calc 80Chem 93bio 68physics and 84art. U of t is just soooo slow and makes us stress. Besides it's hard to relate to anyone on this forum since most of them have outstanding insane averages which only make up about 20% of acceptances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xtread xtread
rejected...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm with ya. Pretty much crushed. Now I have to go take a victory lap.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
Why are you people even applying to UofT if you don't have over an 80% average? Even if you got in you wouldn't be able to handle it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Galactical Galactical

@JNBirDy wrote
Why are you people even applying to UofT if you don't have over an 80% average? Even if you got in you wouldn't be able to handle it.

^ because they can and they have very realistic chances of getting accepted..thats what i hate about UofT..even if an individual has like a 90-94 average, other than getting the guaranteed 2k scholarship for 92+% averages, they have no edge of any sort over an individual who wasted their time in high school and got 70s and 80s..who get accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xtread xtread
it's okay mnborka, you know there's still chance by bringing up your final marks and call them to reconsider? St. George chances are REALLY low but scarbrough there'll be a chance :(

to JNBirDy: to be honest, people get in with low averages like mines and they got in before. the reason why i didn't make it is because of my english mark, and you have no idea what people are actually capable of

i know people who got 90+ in high school and is getting a 2.7 gpa, while my cousin is getting 4.0 and got in with a 82. There is no such thing as "not good enough". We're all capable for ut life science, it's just the matter of our own attitudes and passion.

thanks Galactical :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9

@xtread wrote
it's okay mnborka, you know there's still chance by bringing up your final marks and call them to reconsider? St. George chances are REALLY low but scarbrough there'll be a chance :(

to JNBirDy: to be honest, people get in with low averages like mines and they got in before. the reason why i didn't make it is because of my english mark, and you have no idea what people are actually capable of

i know people who got 90+ in high school and is getting a 2.7 gpa, while my cousin is getting 4.0 and got in with a 82. There is no such thing as "not good enough". We're all capable for ut life science, it's just the matter of our own attitudes and passion.

thanks Galactical :)

Thanks xtread, I feel motivated after reading this. +1 for the attitudes and passions..i hate it when I chose to slack off just 1 month before graduation. It's time to become hardworking again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cakee cakee
aw sucks to hear that you got rejected.. better luck next year! atleast not you are better prepared to try again :)
btw does anyone know if UofT looks at your advanced functions mark too? ( as in, is it included in the top 6 marks?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
depends on what you apply to. I did life sciences so they wanted to see Calculus and not advanced functions. They only look at AF if its in your top 6 I assume then. (My AF mark was pretty bad too I had a 78)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm back! ha, took a victory lap my average is now sitting at an 86%, and I'm actually happy to say I went back to school. I've matured, saved more money, and realized that stuck up people on a forum don't have anything to do with me and my marks. No longer discouraged, and ready for uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I advise you not to apply to the U of T campuses because it's most likely you will struggle. I know many students who had over 90 averages in high school dropping out of their life sciences program because of the difficulty and workload.

Not trying to be negative but realistic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Everyone struggles their first year, it's a matter if you're a "quitter" or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deannaglasgow deannaglasgow
Nice! Glad to hear your marks improved! I am doing a victory lap but not retaking anything, just taking stuff I should have taken. Which means all of the sciences and maths. D8

You don't need to go to U of T. The campus is gross, you will always be just another number if you go there. Besides, you wouldn't want to end up sounding like the pricks who posted above. ;)

Maybe the person who posted above just had friends who's marks were really inflated. Their 92% average was realistically an 82%. Who knows. I just know that if you work hard, you can basically achieve whatever mark you want. Be it an 80% or a 90%. You're doing amazingly well!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@xtread wrote

Calculus-81 (p)
Ex Science - 87
Biology - 74
Chemistry - 73 (p)

You're average is 77.5% or 78% if you round up, why didn't you get in? You're average is pretty high :) I'm worried because I'm not doing any better, but I'm in gr11.

I'm sure many people with 75-78 got in right?

Whats the reason behind your rejection?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

As it stands right now i have an 88% top six, so i think ill be okay. The reason why i have to go to u of t is because i want to apply to their pharmacy school and if i go anywhere else for my undergrad ill have less of a chance of getting in. However i have already been accepted for another program so either way ill be going to uni.:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0