yconic - UTSG (St. Mikes) OR Queen's HELP!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSG (St. Mikes) OR Queen's HELP!

A photo of Brianrankin Brianrankin
I've wanted to go to McGill my whole life, but due to some circumstances brought about by McGill, I didn't get accepted...i digress. This leaves me with 4 other schools to choose from 2 of which i used as fallbacks. This leaves Queen's and UTSG. As i said i only ever wanted to go to McGill, so now i'm very unsure about which school i should attend. I want to major in English Literature(i think). If anyone who applied/ accepted to either has any input it would be amazingly helpful! Anyone who actually goes to the schools is also more than welcome to help me decide! :thumright

cheers!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of cdkpsa cdkpsa
I think university English programs are more or less on par with each other. Personally, I would choose Queen's because it has a better social life and campus feel overall, compared to U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bladerunner905 bladerunner905
UofT only has the perception of having no social life because its more prestigious and well-known. It does infact have one.

Aside from that, UofT is ranked better than Queens in social science. Likewise its closer to Montreal in atmosphere(campus in the heart of the city, like the literal heart since its surrounded by Ontario's parliament, financial district, entertainment district and restaurants.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Linday19 Linday19
I am basically in the exact same situation as you, I always wanted to go to McGill but I decided not apply. So now I am down to Uoft (St.Mikes) or Queen's. I am personally leaning towards Queen's. I think it is better for an undergraduate degree,it has smaller classes, the marking is not as hard a UofT. Another factor for me is the school spirit at Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vfenwicksehl vfenwicksehl

@Linday19 wrote
I am basically in the exact same situation as you, I always wanted to go to McGill but I decided not apply. So now I am down to Uoft (St.Mikes) or Queen's. I am personally leaning towards Queen's. I think it is better for an undergraduate degree,it has smaller classes, the marking is not as hard a UofT. Another factor for me is the school spirit at Queen's.

Arts at Queen's does mark pretty hard. On my first day of POLS110, my TA sat down in tutorial and said, "You will never see an 80% until 4th year". With Arts at Queen's, I have found that it is really easy to pass, but very hard to get a fantastic grade.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I have a friend who goes to Queen's and, of course, loves it there and does very well. The only thing she doesn't like is that Queen's doesn't offer all the courses she wants, so she took a few courses at U of T one summer to supplement her studies. Something to think about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deathangel deathangel
UTSG or Queens? LOL, that's a no brainer, of course UTSG.

I go to UTSG so I can safely tell you that only anti-social people have no social life. Apart from that, you are in DOWNTOWN Toronto where everything (from bars to shopping malls) is here. Queens? Haha, good luck surviving 4 years in a ghost town(well, compare to Toronto).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beaubeau beaubeau

@deathangel wrote

I go to UTSG so I can safely tell you that only anti-social people have no social life. Apart from that, you are in DOWNTOWN Toronto where everything (from bars to shopping malls) is here. Queens? Haha, good luck surviving 4 years in a ghost town(well, compare to Toronto).

How do you find the course load at U of T?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quickstrike Quickstrike

@deathangel wrote

Lol, you're wrong buddy. U of T is a no-brainer..........for graduate school.

For undergrad, for sure Queen's. Much more school spirit, much better social life, prestigious, helpful professors and smaller classes, beautiful campus, etc.

Queen's is the much better choice for undergrad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Brianrankin Brianrankin
After many sleepless nights and tons of debating, i picked U of T!

Anyone from st mikes Post here and we'll chat about classes, etc! |

thanks for all the help all of you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samwise575 samwise575
It really doesn't matter where you going to university for arts, not that the students aren't smart but it's easy to get into everywhere. The prestige factor for any school then basically goes away. It comes down to where you would fit in more. Big or small city?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christianbale christianbale
queen's :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0