yconic - UTSG: Two Questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSG: Two Questions

A photo of Sarvish Sarvish
1. Are scholarships based on your admission top 6 or English plus your next highest 5?

2. Does the subject of major interest you choose make a difference in the prerequisites? For example, I'm applying to physiology which also needs Bio/Chem in addition to Eng/Calc. However, if I were to apply to psychology I would only need Eng/Calc. Should I switch my SoMI to psychology because it'll boost my top 6 by 2% if I don't need Bio/Chem?

Thanks! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
U of T's website says..

Eligibility criteria:
Canadian citizens or permanent residents;
studying at a secondary school or Year 1of CEGEP in Canada;
have completed each of the courses required for admissions, including prerequisites, with 'A' standing; and
admission average is 92% or better.

"92% or better" That's pretty general (it's for the President's Entrance) but I suppose if you want a better answer you could e-mail them.

As for number 2, yeah, switching to Psych would result in Bio/Chem not having to be part of your top 6 and they wouldn't show up if you had better marks in two other courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jsaroya wrote
U of T's website says..

Eligibility criteria:
Canadian citizens or permanent residents;
studying at a secondary school or Year 1of CEGEP in Canada;
have completed each of the courses required for admissions, including prerequisites, with 'A' standing; and
admission average is 92% or better.

"92% or better" That's pretty general (it's for the President's Entrance) but I suppose if you want a better answer you could e-mail them.

As for number 2, yeah, switching to Psych would result in Bio/Chem not having to be part of your top 6 and they wouldn't show up if you had better marks in two other courses

That is so stupid. More worried about scholarships since it's the difference between a 94 and a 96 average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah you should do the switch then.

edit: Actually, it doesn't even matter if you do the switch if what you want is the President's Entrance. I believe it guarantees you $2000 with anything higher than 92. But if you want to get the U of T Scholar money (you have to pick, you can't get both) then you should do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are there any consequences to switching? If there aren't, then isn't this whole system just completely whack?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think you still ought to email/call to talk to someone who knows more, but I don't see why there would be consequences. I'm assuming you want to get accepted with a SOMI of Psychology but then take the courses a Physio major would take?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That’s exactly what I plan on doing. Everyone says you can switch your major once you get in, so I’m thinking why not? I’ll probably e-mail them, but last time I e-mailed them it took 10 days. I never thought I’d say this, but I hope I don’t get accepted until then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Sarvish wrote
Does the subject of major interest you choose make a difference in the prerequisites? For example, I'm applying to physiology which also needs Bio/Chem in addition to Eng/Calc. However, if I were to apply to psychology I would only need Eng/Calc. Should I switch my SoMI to psychology because it'll boost my top 6 by 2% if I don't need Bio/Chem?

Yeah, you could do that. Putting down a major on your application is really just a formality. You don't actually declare one until the end of first year. But they do check for pre-reqs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0