yconic - UTSG undergrad life sci advice
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UTSG undergrad life sci advice

A photo of Massy06 Massy06
if u r an undergrad at utsg in life sci or grad( at medschool) , can u tell me something bout their faculty, how hard they are, some prof to watch out for, some of the hard courses( proably physics) and how hard u had to work for ur gpa, cuz after all utsg is know to be the gpa killer. I want to pursue medschool(like really bad!!), possibly in immunology,or something in pathology. If u have any advice at all for future med students and utsg student plz tell me. I'm so stressed bout uni, this would really help me.
also if are a science student, wat paths do u have other than going to meb school
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of browse browse
If you want to go to medschool(like really bad!!), don't come to UofT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@browse wrote

lol! r u in their life sci?
my friends keeps telling to do the same, so utsg really does smash one's gpa?
how, do the prof do in on purpose
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of browse browse

@Massy06 wrote

@browse wrote

Yes, I'm in life sci. It's not so much about smashing one's gpa as it is the extra amount of effort put in relative to other schools to get similar results. It's also not worth the risk if you're hell bent on med school.

Would you rather go to York or Queens or UWO and get close to a 4.0 with minimal studying and a healthy social life, or would you rather go to UofT, study 24/7 and not pull off a 4.0?

And no, profs don't do it on purpose.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@browse wrote

@Massy06 wrote

@browse wrote

Yes, I'm in life sci. It's not so much about smashing one's gpa as it is the extra amount of effort put in relative to other schools to get similar results. It's also not worth the risk if you're hell bent on med school.

Would you rather go to York or Queens or UWO and get close to a 4.0 with minimal studying and a healthy social life, or would you rather go to UofT, study 24/7 and not pull off a 4.0?

i totally undertand now, wow! thx so much this really cleared things up
thx a bunch:D good luck in ife sci
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@browse wrote

@Massy06 wrote

@browse wrote

wait one more! the experience u got from attending utsg, would u say it's a greater advantage to u for later on in ur life if going to med school, research, or becoming a puts u at a greater advantage than going to another uni( how does it, if yes). Also does u of t medschool prefer that one attends u of t when applying , if so how much does this(estimate) affect there decision. Do medschools(in canada) really care bout wat uni one attend due to difficulty of courses and competitive level, again if so how muhc does is affect their choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@browse wrote

@Massy06 wrote

@browse wrote

Seriously? Stop talking out your ass please.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lmfao!! haha thx lashes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX

@lashes wrote

@Massy06 wrote
wait one more! the experience u got from attending utsg, would u say it's a greater advantage to u for later on in ur life if going to med school, research, or becoming a puts u at a greater advantage than going to another uni( how does it, if yes). Also does u of t medschool prefer that one attends u of t when applying , if so how much does this(estimate) affect there decision. Do medschools(in canada) really care bout wat uni one attend due to difficulty of courses and competitive level, again if so how muhc does is affect their choice.

@Massy06 wrote
1.would u say it's a greater advantage to u for later on in ur life if going to med school, research, or becoming a puts u at a greater advantage than going to another uni( how does it, if yes).

Generally, no. As long as the university is accredited like York/Ryerson/Carleton and not a complete fvck-up loot like UWU/Queens/McGill/UBC/Mac/UofT, it won't make 2 sh1ts of a difference.

Sorry to break it you, but the truth is that you can't tell how hard a school is just by looking at the school's reputation or its image in your mind. Each school has a different courses and teach in different ways, at the end your marks depend on how difficult are the tests made by your prof & the amount of effort you put in. So my point is, Western, Queens. York, Guelph, Mac all depend on the prof you get...you get a hard one, don't blame your the INSTITUTION , if you get an easy one...that doesn't mean the entire INSTITUTION is easy. Oh and to add to that, you have to put alot of effort to get a 4.0 at york/queens/UWO...you clearly don't know anything about any of these institutions.

Also, UofT SG is overhyped, 2 of my close friends go there with an entrance average of mid 80's and one finished off with a 3.9 gpa and other with a 3.85. They said it was hard but the bellcurves were unbelievable & got them high gpas. They told me that they got a bellcurve after each test (where class avg is low) which no other university does except UofT SG... oh andthey never bellcurve down...my point is UTSG is just overhyped by the 1000 students who got in and couldn't handle the university pressure, if you think your good enough, then go there. Alot of people do well there (only kids doing bad whine about it) UTSG has the best opportunities than any other university as a backup (especially with research). Good luck wherever you choose to go.

@browse wrote

You have absolutely no idea what you talking about. I'm asusming your one of those highschool kids who bluffs on furoms without any knowledge about university works. I made my point already as I posted above & several students get a 4.0 and if you work super hard you can get a 4.0 ANYWHERE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

wow guys! thx firesinX. does anyone know if coop at a undergrad sci program would be worth anything, cuz after all at med school the last two years are on reserach right? so would the coop help. or is med school just bout once u get in ur in and everything before is bout doing wat u are comfortalbe doing. so meaning goign to a uni and choosing a program u r gonna like even if it's seriously hard. this seems to have an obivois answer, i should do wat i like but i know there are some uni that r a bit easier and it's gonna be easier to get into med with that. Even if one works hard, some unis will alwasy be a little easier. does the undergrad really matter if u gonna pursue med school. I guess i keep asking this question becuase i also got in to ottawa and most ppl tel me to drop ottawa cuz it has no reputation, and they say it's not as challening as utsg. most ppl dun even konw anything bout it.
can u guy plx help me, how was ur first year experience at the uni u went to, and if u went to ottawa tell me!
thnk u to anyone that anwers and have already answered! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
lol who needs garmmerrr
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Otaku1314 Otaku1314
I go to UTSG for Life Sci and I strongly urge you not to discount the program simply because of all the rumours about UofT being a gpa killer or harder than other unis, etc. UTSG has a very large and expansive science program with TONS of different courses available to its students. There's lots of variety in courses and majors, and you can basically study whatever you want. Don't stress about taking courses in your undergrad that you think will help for med school. Or going into a program you think will put you at an advantage. Undergrad is for studying what you like and enjoying yourself.

A lot of people advise med hopefuls to go to the "easiest" uni/program so they can get a high gpa for applying to med school. But this must be the most pathetic advice ever. Do you really want to blow four years of your life at a uni/program you don't even like? Think about it.

Lastly, NO ONE cares where you did your undergrad. And med schools also don't care what you studied (whether it was science or humanities). So again, I advise you to go into a program you think you'll like instead of worrying over whether you could have gotten higher marks somewhere else. Every program/uni has tough profs and tough courses. You'll do fine in undergrad if you put in the effort.
Was this helpful? Yes 0