yconic - UVic
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UVic

A photo of manna manna
I was wondering if someone could talk about their experiences at UVic? What is the quality of education? res? social life? the city? Are they desperate for students? Do they have a good reputation?

I got accepted, but I only had an 83% average and they did it within the next day, so as completely excited and happy and anxious as I am :] , I'm sort of curious about why they would accept me with such a low average? I just want to know how high their standards are. My grade eleven marks were horrid...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
28 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
It seems to rank decently among other Canadian universities, but it's not really known outside of BC, and most people here think of it as a party school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Yep that sounds about right.
But I do hear that they've got a pretty good business program.. obvs. not as good as SFU and UBC, but it's climbing its way up.
A lot of my friends got accepted a few days after they submitted marks/supplementals too, so I'm not surprised.
A lot of offers are given out based on grade 11 marks too, so I'm not at all surprised you got in with an 83.
Congrats btw!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Thanks! I'm still a little confused because I had a terrible grade eleven English mark. I hope it is a good school with a good quality of education. I also applied to SFU, but Burnaby and the whole metro Vancouver is so big, and it sounds like it rains more there.

Argh :[
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Doesn't matter.. if you haven't been accepted into SFU by now, they should be basing your admission on grade 12 marks since early admission is pretty much over by now.
Vancouver IS big, that is true, but there's so many ways to get around.. bus.. skytrain.. all the schools are easily accessible.
SFU is unique in the way that they are located on top of a mountain.. the view up there is GORGEOUS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
I'm from Victoria, but I went elsewhere to study engineering. Here's my personal opinion on UVic: First off, it's probably one of the nicest campuses you'll see. The building are alright, but everyone out east is always surprised by the open spaces and hundreds of bunnies all over campus (unless they finally found a way yo get rid of some of them). Plus, the weather is fantastic. So location is not an issue. Of course, it seems like your concern is more towards the academic side. It doesn't have the prestige factor of the schools out east, but no one in BC would consider it a lesser education than a typical university. In fact, out here it's way more recognized than Ryerson, Trent, Western Ontario etc. They are well-known for being eco-concious adn if you check out Maclean's, they did pretty damn well in the undergrad rankings. So there's my two cents. Oh, what faculty did you want?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Thanks! That's pretty reassuring, feeling a tad better now. At UVic, I had applied to the faculty of social sciences, for political science. At SFU I applied for faculty of social sciences and arts( or something like that) for linguistics.

I just really want an education that is going to give me a competitive edge in the job market, or at least not have the effect that, "Oh, they went to SFU and she went to UVic, they'll be more well-trained" or knowledgeable or something silly like that. I want to be able to compete because I went to a university that was able to offer me a great education that I took advantage of, and that education was just as good as any other.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Also, referring to the mountain comment, I have a horrid fear of heights, so perhaps Burnaby isn't such a good idea. I would love to go there, but it rains a lot?

And is it really regarded as a party school, and how would that reputation effect my job prospects? It didn't worry me at first but now I'm thinking and I'm not a partier. At all. XP
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@manna wrote
Thanks! That's pretty reassuring, feeling a tad better now. At UVic, I had applied to the faculty of social sciences, for political science. At SFU I applied for faculty of social sciences and arts( or something like that) for linguistics.

I just really want an education that is going to give me a competitive edge in the job market, or at least not have the effect that, "Oh, they went to SFU and she went to UVic, they'll be more well-trained" or knowledgeable or something silly like that. I want to be able to compete because I went to a university that was able to offer me a great education that I took advantage of, and that education was just as good as any other.

Since you're talking about wanting an edge when it comes to employment, what are you planning on doing with political science or linguistics?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Right now, my ideal jobs would be a lobbyist or public relations person, though I'm not sure I have the people skills for those careers. Something in government is what I'm hoping for though. I know it is all very vague, but I haven't really gotten that far in planning :pale: Perhaps foreign policy? I had always wanted to go into computing linguistics, but I don't have the computer knowledge so that is out of the question.

Sorry, not much direction, I know >.<
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@manna wrote
Also, referring to the mountain comment, I have a horrid fear of heights, so perhaps Burnaby isn't such a good idea. I would love to go there, but it rains a lot?

And is it really regarded as a party school, and how would that reputation effect my job prospects? It didn't worry me at first but now I'm thinking and I'm not a partier. At all. XP

Well you won't FEEL like you're high up, I'm sure you'd love it up there.
If you're that afraid of heights though.. SFU has a campus in Surrey, as well as one downtown Vancouver, but the Surrey one is where you would probably go. That campus is even more accessible than the Burnaby one, it's just one straight skytrain ride away.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
I thought the Surrey campus was all tech classes?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hmmmm..
Well, my best friend goes to SFU and she's in.. Arts?
Economics I think.
Think she's in Arts but wants to transfer to Business.
But anyways.. she has classes at BOTH Surrey and Burnaby.
I think she takes her electives at the Surrey campus, but her elective is technology based.. Photoshop and what not.
So if you're interested in any of that stuff, you could always take classes at both campuses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hmmm okay I'm on the SFU Surrey site right now
and they actually have every program..
Applied Sci
Arts & Social Sci
Beedie School of Business
Communications, Art & Tech
Education
and Science..
so you'd be good for everything at the Surrey campus technically
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Cool, thanks! This friend, is she happy there? Is it as exciting as they claim or is it dreary and rainy and lacking a great social vibe?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well she doesn't live on campus since we're both from Vancouver, so I wouldn't be able to tell you much about residence life.
There's tons of clubs and what not that you can join though.. sports.. they're big on sports.
From what I've seen, the social/campus life isn't too shabby, everyone was really enthusiastic when I went.
And all the buildings are really bright with large windows and what not, deff not dead and dreary.
She seems to really like it there, never heard any complaints, except for her marks of course, but everyone will complain about that at any university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Thank you so much for your help! This is a lot more feedback then I've got before, this was great :]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@manna wrote
I had always wanted to go into computing linguistics, but I don't have the computer knowledge so that is out of the question.

You don't really need prior experience in computer science (although I've practiced programming a bit). I got into it because linguistics is my passion, but I needed a practical application, which is in the tech field. If you're good at math and you're hard-working, you can do it. Otherwise, maybe something in government is best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
I did okay in math, took all my 30 levels, but I'm weak in the graphing area and I didn't take calculus.

I was thinking lexicography, but it seems like an extremely limited career field. I don't know.

This board needs some alumni or something, lol >.< Does anyone know how a person would go about contacting current/past students of a university?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you go on the UVic website, they usually have some way which you can connect to alumni if you have questions.
Not sure though, I know I can do that for the school I want to go to.
Ohhh, 30s.. you must be from Alberta.
Haha we're like switching places, I want to go to Alberta, you want to come to BC.
Welcome!
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
Saskatchewan, actually :) never Alberta. I will take a look, hopefully there's something. My mom's thinking of going down for their info thing in May too, so maybe that will help...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ohhh, that's pretty cool.
Yeah you guys should come over here!
Victoria is a beautifullll place, especially in the summer time when the sun's out and everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of firmament104 firmament104

@cyynthiia wrote
Ohhh, that's pretty cool.
Yeah you guys should come over here!
Victoria is a beautifullll place, especially in the summer time when the sun's out and everything.

+1. Totally fell in love with the campus. It's really nice out here, especially if you love being by the water.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Summer16 Summer16
I go to UVic, and I really like it. Housing on campus is guarunteed in your first year (if you're coming straight from high school). It's a beautiful campus, although they have, in fact, gotten rid of the bunnies :(. My class sizes are small (usually less than 40 people), although the polisci courses I took in first year were large. The faculty here are incredible, they're very supportive if you need help, and (for the most part) if you're doing what you love, you'll find that you'll love the class, because the profs are passionate about what they're teaching. I would definitely recommend UVic as an Undergrad school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
I am so excited now! Everyone here is laughing at me, they say I'm going to sink into the sea lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0