yconic - UW CFM vs. Double Degrees
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UW CFM vs. Double Degrees

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I'm having trouble deciding between Waterloo CFM vs. the CS and Math Double Degrees. Any opinions - especially upper years ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of missblair missblair

@immaculatedx wrote
I'm having trouble deciding between Waterloo CFM vs. the CS and Math Double Degrees. Any opinions - especially upper years ?

It's still possible for you to apply to Waterloo double degree with Laurier BBA :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
What is it that you want to do after your degree?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I decided to go with DD for a more general degree. I've been hearing weak stuff about Waterloo's CFM.
Hey Noxx, I hsee you're in DD for cs. How is it for you so far?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@immaculatedx wrote
I decided to go with DD for a more general degree. I've been hearing weak stuff about Waterloo's CFM.
Hey Noxx, I hsee you're in DD for cs. How is it for you so far?

Great to hear!

I love it. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else. It's hard work - but thats to be expected. I'm taking courses I love though. I've told others this before - I'd rather do a calculus assignment then a psych paper. It opens up a lot of doors for you in the future. It also gives you the option to drop down to just one of the degrees if you find one side isn't for you which is a great backup as well.

Note: Algebra is hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Good stuff. Would you reccomend the BCS/BBA or the Math/BBA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Depends what you want to do, as Math and CS lead you in different directions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Really? I thought they were actually would be heading into a similar career path? I read WSO forums and it seemed that to preferred destination would be Sales and Trading, doing exotics, forex, etc. Just the jobs would ofc. be slightly different, some with more coding so with more mathematical analysis or etc. but the overall destination would actually be quite similar.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Finance is one of the paths that they do share. It's difficult to see where the majority of BBA/BCS grads will end up because this is the first year running the program. CS gives you the ability to be a code monkey if thats what you choose to do. CS in many ways limits your options a bit more then Math. For example, you can't go into actuarial, and it's difficult to take all the recommended courses for CFA without coming back for an extra semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Like I really do not want to become a 'code monkey' if that means I'll just be writing code and not actually focusing on the client's wants or to conceptual framework for why the code is being written.

However, regarding going into finance, I've read that CS could potentially be much more useful especially for co-op because you wouldnt be lisenced to trade anyways and your CS skills could be very useful e.g. macros for excel or w/e. I'm more comfortable with math but only because I've only taken one CS course in high school. I think I will most likely take math - I understand you can switch anyways as I take the higher level CS course in year 1 so I won't be behind in terms of courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
I don't want to be a code monkey either for that matter. My end goal is to go into consulting, most likely IT consulting for a company like Accenture, IBM or HP.

Your first co-op job will most likely be something in testing. Thats where a lot of the jobs are, even if you're in math. You can switch from CS to math, but it is A LOT more difficult to go the other way (so I've been told).

It seems like you're end goal is to go into finance, and either program will help you get there. The DD club runs seminars on learning excel macros, and to my knowledge there's no CS course that teaches you that.

In the end, I'd pick CS if I were you, simply because you don't really need 4th year math classes to go into finance, and CS is a lot more fun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I see, your advice/info has been very useful - thanks.

CS may be fun to you, but I have no idea if I will actually develop a passion for it. I got high 90s in math courses and CS courses but I don't know which one I'd like more. I was never a tech guy, I didn't like learning hardware in computer engineering, or system of the computer or w/e. But just in terms of the algorithms that come with coding, logic problems - I really enjoyed those.

In terms of the courses it's the exact same first year with the exception of the CS course as I mentioned so I don't think switching will be hard either way ... unless there's something I'm missing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@immaculatedx wrote

CS may be fun to you, but I have no idea if I will actually develop a passion for it. I got high 90s in math courses and CS courses but I don't know which one I'd like more. I was never a tech guy, I didn't like learning hardware in computer engineering, or system of the computer or w/e. But just in terms of the algorithms that come with coding, logic problems - I really enjoyed those.

In terms of the courses it's the exact same first year with the exception of the CS course as I mentioned so I don't think switching will be hard either way ... unless there's something I'm missing?

CS (in first year atleast) is just algorithms. You don't really learn any hardware.

I was told my another DD student that the only way to switch from Math to CS was with an 80+ average, where as anyone could switch from CS to Math. No idea if its right or not - but I trust him.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic

@immaculatedx wrote

Oh, there will be lots of logic problems. And you might be a rare soul who enjoys MATH135. Maybe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0