yconic - UW Honours Sci or Life Sci?? whats the difference?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UW Honours Sci or Life Sci?? whats the difference?

A photo of applesnack applesnack
whats the difference between honours and life sci at UW? Say i wanted to go into biomed (which i can through both programs) which program would be better? which is better if you're pursuing to become a healthcare professional? entering medicine, optometry, pharmacy, dentistry, physiotherapy,etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of greygoose greygoose
Honours science is a general science program.

Life sciences is a biology-oriented program.

Neither of these programs are biomed, which I believe has its own program entirely.

If you're interested in a science degree, Waterloo has one of the poorer programs. I'd consider another school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of applesnack applesnack

@greygoose wrote
Honours science is a general science program.

Life sciences is a biology-oriented program.

Neither of these programs are biomed, which I believe has its own program entirely.

If you're interested in a science degree, Waterloo has one of the poorer programs. I'd consider another school.

Actually at UW its a little different.... http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/programs/Biomedical%20Sciences
It says you choose biomed as your major in honours science or life science.

Biomed major for life science: http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/programs/full_description.php?program=Life%20Sciences

Biomed major for honours science: http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/programs/full_description.php?program=Honours%20Science
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tripleabatt tripleabatt
Honours science is just a general science degree. As you can see from the undergrad calendar here, it's very flexible and allows you to basically take any of the science majors + minor/major in whatever else you want since there's so many electives.

Life science is more bio/natural sciences oriented, so the first few years have more required courses that you have to take (mostly bio and chem, depending on which major you choose).

For Life Sci you pick your major right when you apply. In other words, you would apply directly to biomed or biochem or whatever. For Honours Sci, you're more or less free to take the courses of your liking until 3rd year when you pick a major.

All the Life Sci majors except for biomed have a co-op option. Honours Sci is regular only.

If you already have an idea of which major you'd like to take (you can also check the undergrad calendar to get an idea for what courses you'll be required to take for that major and see if it interests you) then might as well just go for Life Sci and pick your major right off the bat. If you want more flexibility to do major/minors or aren't sure which science field exactly you want to pursue then Honours Sci is the better choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0