yconic - UW Math/CA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UW Math/CA

A photo of mhz mhz
Hey, I'm currently in Grade 11 (well I just finished my last exam) and I've been thinking about which university I want to go to and what program. As you have probably already assumed by the title, I've chosen the Mathematics and Chartered Accountancy Program as my goal.

What I'd like to know is, just how competitive is this program?

My Grade 11 Marks are as such:

Functions3U....90
Accounting4U...90
CompSci(ICS3U).98
Physics3U.....~90 (online)
DataMngmt4U....97
English4U......80
Chemistry3U....91
French3U.......100

My ECs are: Peer Tutoring, Hockey Team, DECA

As far as my grades go, I think I'll be fine for Grade 12. Here are my grade 12 courses and what I'm predicting my grade will be if I try my best:

Functions4U....98
Calculus4U.....96
Physics4U......94
Chemistry4U....97
CompSci........100

As you can see, I'll have lots of spare time to study. (I might take a 6th course, not sure)

Obviously my ECs aren't great and unfortunately I've heard that ECs are very important for getting into this program. If anyone knows of any example ECs I could take that UW likes, please tell me lol.

-

Honestly all I'm expecting as a response is what I should be doing to prepare for applying to this program, any advice you may have for me, and any extra curriculars I should get involved with.

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) replying. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of aimango aimango
Well one tip from me is: dont set your expectations so high, esp for your future marks. IDK how youre expecting a 6% increase for chem, and 6 + 8% increases on those math courses. I mean it's entirely possible, but dependent on teacher (and sometimes dependent on luck).

Also, even though you'll have a lot of spare time to study, it's easy to slack off (unless youre going to load on the ECs). What UW likes for ECs... well what you already have is good, I recommend joining something that is different from other people. i.e. DECA - everyone's done DECA. Does your area have the Junior Achievement program? Keep your eye out on any conferences you can attend next year, those stand out too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@aimango wrote
Well one tip from me is: dont set your expectations so high, esp for your future marks. IDK how youre expecting a 6% increase for chem, and 6 + 8% increases on those math courses. I mean it's entirely possible, but dependent on teacher (and sometimes dependent on luck).

+1 Yeah especially with chem. IMO hardest course in highschool (i admit i hated it) and my teacher was good. Your english is not going to help. EX. in order to attain a 93 avg your going to need an average of 95.6% in the other five classes :/

Just curious why CA? With all your science courses why not engineering??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@pj2121 wrote
Just curious why CA? With all your science courses why not engineering??

Huh? o_O I took every science course offered in high school, bio, chem, and physics all up to grade 12 at the AP level, scored 5s on all of them and... ended up going into pure math. Just because he/she's taken the typical high school requirements for engineering doesn't mean he/she has to go into that field.

By the way, this thread was cross-posted to Business, it got a few more replies there: http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=7580
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
+1

Some people like to keep their options open and have a well rounded list of high school courses. I took English, Social Studies, Calculus, Biology, Physics and Chemistry (Alberta curriculum) and thus could've applied to every single undergraduate university program in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Yeah, use the other thread please.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
Hey immaculatedx, I see that you're in the Waterloo Math/CA program. I want to get into the same program, I am expecting to get around an 93-94% average with my top 6 next year, can you give me some advices on what does waterloo look for in terms of E/C? thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@Ren416 wrote
Hey immaculatedx, I see that you're in the Waterloo Math/CA program. I want to get into the same program, I am expecting to get around an 93-94% average with my top 6 next year, can you give me some advices on what does waterloo look for in terms of E/C? thanks!

PM me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KeruiQiu KeruiQiu
^ YEUUHHH IMMACULATEDX
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KeruiQiu KeruiQiu
on a serious note, if you get the marks that predicted, you will probably get in =)

i got in with a 92...so you should be fine..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted