yconic - UW nanotech engineering acceptance
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UW nanotech engineering acceptance

A photo of applesnack applesnack
hi, i'm only a grade 11 student but i was wondering what average i would need in grade 12 to get into nanotech engineering at UW. If you've been accepted to the program what was your avg? if you're a student attending UW who has a friend in this program what was his/her average in grade 12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I'm neither an applicant or a current student, but I would say to get accepted, you need to have atleast around a high 80 or low 90 average. Keep in mind that the AIF is also important. For early acceptance, you'd probably need to have a low-mid 90 average, although there was someone in the UW Engineering Acceptance topic that mentioned their friend getting accepted with a high 80.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ok thank you. but i heard that someone with a low to mid-80 in grade 12 got into UW nanotech. And the reason for this was that not many people were applying, and that this program wasn't too popular
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I don't know exactly how many applicants the program has, but I'm pretty sure the number is increasing every year. The program is fairly new, just like Mechatronics and Systems Design. There are people with lower averages than the "recommended" that get accepted, it isn't unheard of. It's more likely that their AIF was impressive (?) than that the program wasn't popular enough.

I may be wrong though, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of k3u k3u
My friend got in with an 88-ish average last week without doing AIF. Not sure how popular the program is , but i do hear that the unemployment rate for it is among the highest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@k3u wrote
My friend got in with an 88-ish average last week without doing AIF. Not sure how popular the program is , but i do hear that the unemployment rate for it is among the highest.

Is the unemployment rate among the highest in just the engineering field or in ALL professions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox

@applesnack wrote

@k3u wrote

Is the unemployment rate among the highest in just the engineering field or in ALL professions?

from what I heard from my friends at waterloo:

nanotech engineering is new, and there is no nanotechnology industry. all the jobs are in research, and you'll do co-op's in unrelated jobs.

my suggestion is to do electric engineering, and then go to grad school to study nanotechnology. nanotech is, again, new, and that is why there are so few jobs in it at the moment, other than research. I don't think nano will be big for another couple of years, so a safer decisions would just be to do a core engineering program, such as ece, and go to grad school for nano.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@madox wrote

I don't think nano will be big for another couple of years, so a safer decisions would just be to do a core engineering program, such as ece, and go to grad school for nano.

I would start university in 2013 and end in 2017 .....do u think thats enough time for the nanotech industry to prosper? I will also be applying to ECE so i guess it doesnt really matter lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox

@applesnack wrote

@madox wrote

I don't think nano will be big for another couple of years, so a safer decisions would just be to do a core engineering program, such as ece, and go to grad school for nano.

I would start university in 2013 and end in 2017 .....do u think thats enough time for the nanotech industry to prosper? I will also be applying to ECE so i guess it doesnt really matter lol

probably not. that's just 5 years, I think it would be somewhere closer to 15 years before nanotech engineering gets really big. just go to into ece, its safer and more likely to get a related co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@madox wrote

@applesnack wrote

@madox wrote

probably not. that's just 5 years, I think it would be somewhere closer to 15 years before nanotech engineering gets really big. just go to into ece, its safer and more likely to get a related co-op.

okay thanks, I probably will do that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of need2succeed need2succeed
I got in first round without submitting the AIF. My current average is around 98% with English, AP Math (A.F., Calculus), AP TriSci (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and AP Economics.

Just aim as high as you can!
Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@need2succeed wrote
I got in first round without submitting the AIF. My current average is around 98% with English, AP Math (A.F., Calculus), AP TriSci (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and AP Economics.

Best of luck!

Thank you. But you seem to have very difficult courses, yet you have a 98% average... Are you in Ontario or another province? Or are you in another country altogether (USA) ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@need2succeed wrote

Best of luck!

Thank you. But you seem to have very difficult courses, yet you have a 98% average... Are you in Ontario or another province? Or are you in another country altogether (USA) ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And just about the nanotechnology industry: the only reason I'm so interested in it is because it is fairly new.

Just think of yourself as a pioneer!
It's new and fresh and you will definitely get the opportunity do develop this field yourself.

PLUS HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW BUILDING?? (Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology) ...

Trust me, if you're really smart, you'll know exaactly what to do with this degree. ;) ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@applesnack wrote

@need2succeed wrote

Best of luck!

I'm actually from Ontario: the GTA specifically.
And my school is not easy; I work my butt off everyday. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@need2succeed wrote

@applesnack wrote

@need2succeed wrote

Best of luck!

lol I wasn't saying your school is easy. I just got the feeling that getting into nanotech means you need mid-high 90's. Also I wasn't aware that Ontario schools offered such a curriculum, If you don't mind answering, is your school a private school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@applesnack wrote

@need2succeed wrote

@applesnack wrote

@need2succeed wrote

Best of luck!

lol I wasn't saying your school is easy. I just got the feeling that getting into nanotech means you need mid-high 90's. Also I wasn't aware that Ontario schools offered such a curriculum, If you don't mind answering, is your school a private school?

I do go to a private school but there are public schools around that offer enriched courses as well; if you try googling your way around, I'm sure you can find one in close proximity. :)

Also, just to add, I think Waterloo does consider the difficulty of your courses during the application process. I know one kid with a 96-97% average taking Data and Exercise Science as electives who didn't get in first round and one with a 89-90% average taking Biology and Law who did, so keep that in mind!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@need2succeed wrote

Also, just to add, I think Waterloo does consider the difficulty of your courses during the application process. I know one kid with a 96-97% average taking Data and Exercise Science as electives who didn't get in first round and one with a 89-90% average taking Biology and Law who did, so keep that in mind!

Isnt data harder than bio lol. And thanks, I'm gonna look around and see what schools in my school board offer such enriched courses. Would waterloo consider my current courses to be difficult? or would they consider it to be more difficult if i dropped out of bio and took TEJ4MI and ICS3MI?
Was this helpful? Yes 0