yconic - UW or Mac?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UW or Mac?

A photo of Fasih Fasih
Ok so I have to decide really soon where I want to go. I'm stuck between McMaster for Software Engineering or Waterloo for Computer Science Regular.

Is it worth going to Waterloo if you dont get into the co op program?

Also how good is McMaster engineering? Co op?

Any insight into any of this would be greatly appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Yikes, that is a really tough choice!

Well, do you prefer software engineering or cs?

And Mac coop is good. Only difficulty is you need to take a course as a pre-req, and its difficult to get a placement first year. And you need to pay $100.

Honestly, both have their pros and cons, if i were you, i would pick based on which program you prefer more since they are different.

Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fasih Fasih
I originally wanted to do software engineering but CS sounds interesting too. One of my friends is shoving Waterloo down my throat saying I won't get a job if I graduate from McMaster. I don't mind paying that fee for McMaster. The thing is if it is worth going to waterloo without co op then I would consider it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Fasih wrote
I originally wanted to do software engineering but CS sounds interesting too. One of my friends is shoving Waterloo down my throat saying I won't get a job if I graduate from McMaster. I don't mind paying that fee for McMaster. The thing is if it is worth going to waterloo without co op then I would consider it.

You should've applied to u of t cs. I know it's not AS good as UW, but they have the PEY internship and summer co-op which beats out mac on any day.

but since you didn't, I'd say go to mac. co-op > no co-op
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Wait so. You were given an alternative offer for CS regular instead of CS coop? If you want to make the effort to try to transfer into coop, then itd be worth it. Otherwise, go with mac.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fasih Fasih
Yeah they said I missed the cutoff for co-op by 1% looking at my 2 maths and english. 90 in calc and 86 in english but screwed up in advance functions... got a 76 :'(

I think I'll go with Mac. Theres no guarentee that my marks will be good enough to get into Waterloo co-op for second year, plus I really liked Mac's campus. Does anyone know of someone who graduated from Mac or is attending it right now? Any insight into their program first hand would be really helpful.

EDIT:

Also, what are the chances of getting accepted after being waitlisted for reconsideration?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fasih Fasih
Bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fasih Fasih
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@Fasih wrote
Yeah they said I missed the cutoff for co-op by 1% looking at my 2 maths and english. 90 in calc and 86 in english but screwed up in advance functions... got a 76 :'(

I think I'll go with Mac. Theres no guarentee that my marks will be good enough to get into Waterloo co-op for second year, plus I really liked Mac's campus. Does anyone know of someone who graduated from Mac or is attending it right now? Any insight into their program first hand would be really helpful.

EDIT:

Also, what are the chances of getting accepted after being waitlisted for reconsideration?

reconsideration of what? getting into coop?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fasih Fasih

@aimango wrote

reconsideration of what? getting into coop?

into engineering
Was this helpful? Yes 0