yconic - UWO - Which course to take?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO - Which course to take?

A photo of bioboy bioboy
I was wondering what the easiest math to take in Western for someone in biomed 1st year is. I've taken advanced functions and calculus, but not data. Since math is one of my weaker courses, I'm trying to decide between stats 1024, math 1225, math 1228, and math 1229. From what I can find in the course calendar, it should still satisfy all prerequisites for future specializations. From your experience/from what you hear, which course is the easiest?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of emotycka emotycka
I've heard that 1228 can be difficult if you're not a strong student. 1229 is supposedly not too bad. I personally, haven't taken either.

I did take stats 1024 in first year though. It was quite easy(if more than a little boring). You spend a good month going over the different types of graphs(literally bar graphs, line graphs, pie charts, etc.). It does get complicated later in the semester though, so make sure you go to class. I would recommend taking it over other maths if you're not a math person...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Scarekrow Scarekrow

@bioboy wrote
I was wondering what the easiest math to take in Western for someone in biomed 1st year is. I've taken advanced functions and calculus, but not data. Since math is one of my weaker courses, I'm trying to decide between stats 1024, math 1225, math 1228, and math 1229. From what I can find in the course calendar, it should still satisfy all prerequisites for future specializations. From your experience/from what you hear, which course is the easiest?

Thanks!

As a BMSc student, I think you need to take one half course of calculus. So I suggest taking Calc 1000a and Math 1228b. Calc 1000 is a joke. With 8 practice exams given to you, and every single question recycled, getting a 95+ on each of the two major exams is simple.

Math 1228 is practically a regurgitation of calc 1000, a 90+ should also be doable.

One tip though, buy the book of past exams, and do every single one and understand how to do the questions in it. If you do that, as said before, a 95
+ on the exams should be easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplank jplank
Here's the approximate order from easiest to hardest:

Math 1229, Stats 1024, Math 1225, Math 1228

I work as a full time math tutor at UWO and I've been helping students for the past 7 years. The majority of my students take at least one of these courses.

Math 1228 is difficult at first and then gets easier as the semester progresses. However, the first few sections can be a shock to some students. It can be tricky to wrap your head around some of the concepts. The problem is that there are very few general rules for 1228 where you can say "if you see X, then you should do Y". It's more about general concepts and then deciding which is the best way to tackle a problem. And deciding the best way to tackle the problem can be pretty tricky sometimes.

Math 1225 involves memorizing a lot of formulas and algorithms to solve problems. You don't need to have a deep understanding of what's going on. Once you master one topic, you'll be able to do just about every question on that topic - unlike 1228 where there's a constant feeling that they could throw a question at you that you won't know how to do. 1228 requires a deeper understanding of the material.

Math 1229 is the easiest. There's less material overall and the relative difficulty is easier. Not much else to say. I always ask my students at the end of the year which course they found easier and they always always say 1229.

Stats 1024 is a lot of plugging things into formulas. And you're given a formula sheet for the exams. It's not too hard. I don't like stats myself, but my students tell me its easier than 1225 and 1228. Probably about on par with 1229.

I've written some things on my webpage about this very question:

http://www.londonmathtutor.com/relative-difficulty-of-topics-in-1225-1228-and-1229/
http://www.londonmathtutor.com/first-year-courses/

And just to comment on what Scarekrow said: If you do indeed need to take a half credit in calculus, 1225 is much easier than 1000. Save yourself some aggravation and take 1225 if that is, indeed, what's required of your program. If not, then take 1024 and 1229. Also, 1228 is not a regurgitation of 1000. 1228 is Finite Math and I suspect he meant 1225 (which is Calc). Approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of the concepts taught in Calc 1000 overlap with what's taught in Math 1225. However, despite the overlap and the benefit of taking the two together, you'd be better off taking 1229 and 1024.
Was this helpful? Yes 0