yconic - UWO Acceptance Stressin'
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Acceptance Stressin'

A photo of nfabiano nfabiano
I applied to UWO Social Science (Criminology Major) and, like many, have yet to hear back from Admissions. I was wondering if anyone knew when UWO will be sending out the next wave of admissions? I've heard a couple rumors saying that they only accept on fridays, and both May 6th and May 7th have been thrown around there.
If anyone knows specific dates that would be grand.

Also I have a top 6 of 86%, but a 77% in English :/ As my only prereq, could that be a factor in being rejected? Or do they want an 80% average, not specifically in English?

:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13
I'm in the same boat as you, also applying to social sciences (political science)!
I'm waiting too, but don't worry, 86% should be enough to get in...I have an 87% with an 84% in English, but I don't think your 77% in English will decrease your chances.

As for the dates, I'm pretty sure they have already started giving out acceptances, but the bulk of the remaining acceptances will be given out next week...but NOT ALL! So if you don't get it next week, don't worry...acceptances keep going out until May 30th...just be patient!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright man thanks! It's good to know others are in the same situation as I am hahaha! Hopefully it all works out and i'll see you around campus next year !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@nfabiano wrote
I applied to UWO Social Science (Criminology Major) and, like many, have yet to hear back from Admissions. I was wondering if anyone knew when UWO will be sending out the next wave of admissions? I've heard a couple rumors saying that they only accept on fridays, and both May 6th and May 7th have been thrown around there.
If anyone knows specific dates that would be grand.

Also I have a top 6 of 86%, but a 77% in English :/ As my only prereq, could that be a factor in being rejected? Or do they want an 80% average, not specifically in English?

:)

Move to BC, we got our first batch of offers in mid-late January .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby
Someone on another thread said that they called Western and they said that Western will be doing its final round of offers next week
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ecabby wrote
Someone on another thread said that they called Western and they said that Western will be doing its final round of offers next week

That's true!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
Im stressing so hard over UWO science except you gave a way better chance of getting in than I do. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ecabby wrote

Hearing "final round" makes me even more nervous hahaha! Oh well, I guess I can just hope for the best.. good luck to all waiting to get in as well!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of epinephrine epinephrine
Yeah, this is getting frustrating. Mac accepted me just after mid-terms. Western is making me play the waiting game.

I have an 88.5% top 6 average though, so im confident i'll be accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
You will be fine. Your English mark should not matter if your top 6 is 86%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So I didn't hear back from Western yesterday, nor did any of my friends whom also applied, proving that the "May 6th Acceptance Rumor" is indeed false!
..I guess we'll all have to log into our OUAC or Western Student ID every day for the next week to find out!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Apparently Friday May 13th (yes, friday the 13th) is the day that the last of the acceptances are sent out, HOWEVER, they will be sending some out throughout the next week leading up to Friday the 13th. So, this is THE WEEK!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Emaad13 wrote
Apparently Friday May 13th (yes, friday the 13th) is the day that the last of the acceptances are sent out, HOWEVER, they will be sending some out throughout the next week leading up to Friday the 13th. So, this is THE WEEK!

I'm Italian so Friday the 13th is a lucky day for me! I predict I'm going to, and I'm sure you will too, log in to OUAC and Western Student Center probably 250 times this week hahaha!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktlm1 ktlm1
hey i have an 85.2 average. i applied for kinesiology bsc, what are my chances of getting accepted? im getting nervous :|
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Come on Western... any day now!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
I haven't gotten accepted either to social science with an 88.7% average with these courses:

English: 82
Philosophy: 84
Accounting: 86
International Business: 85
Advanced Functions: 91
International Law: 88
Religion (Catholic H.S) 95

88% W/O English 87 W/ English

Completely stressed right now about not getting in, especially after recently touring western a few days ago I was instantly sold and fell in love with the school and it just adds to the stress and my drive to go there. Going to accept that offer the second I get it!

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktlm1 ktlm1
"peopleschamp", english will be included in your average since it is a prerequisite for social science! good luck :) admissions told me majority of the acceptances will go out this week! ahh! im so nervous.
Anyone else apply or get accepted to kin??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktlm1 wrote
"peopleschamp", english will be included in your average since it is a prerequisite for social science! good luck :) admissions told me majority of the acceptances will go out this week! ahh! im so nervous.

Hmmm... I don't think they do include pre-requisite courses because I called earlier in February scared I might do terrible in Advanced Functions which is a pre-requisite for Economic courses, however they said you would only need to attain the pre-requisite credits and will not be included in your top 6 unless it actually is one of your top 6 marks. I don't know for sure if the same policy applies to ALL pre-requisite courses but from what I've been told its TOP 6 overall and has no mention of including Grade 12 English or any pre-requisite courses for the matter being included. I'm just going with what is written on view books as it does not specify what constitutes the "top 6" and what a AO told me over the phone about my concerns.

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

this is getting intense...:|
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxalyssa xxalyssa

@PeoplesChamp wrote

@ktlm1 wrote

Hmmm... I don't think they do include pre-requisite courses because I called earlier in February scared I might do terrible in Advanced Functions which is a pre-requisite for Economic courses, however they said you would only need to attain the pre-requisite credits and will not be included in your top 6 unless it actually is one of your top 6 marks. I don't know for sure if the same policy applies to ALL pre-requisite courses but from what I've been told its TOP 6 overall and has no mention of including Grade 12 English or any pre-requisite courses for the matter being included. I'm just going with what is written on view books as it does not specify what constitutes the "top 6" and what a AO told me over the phone about my concerns.

Cheers.

Umm what? I thought it was common knowledge that all universities count your top 6 including prerequisites or did all the other uni reps I talked to lied to me?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@xxalyssa wrote

@PeoplesChamp wrote

@ktlm1 wrote

Cheers.

Umm what? I thought it was common knowledge that all universities count your top 6 including prerequisites or did all the other uni reps I talked to lied to me?

No it actually varies from school to school and their policy. For example, Ryerson also does the same thing where pre-requisite courses do not count towards your top 6 unless applicable. Western also does the same thing with the math requirement for the economic social science program as only the credit is needed, and will only be included in your top 6 if it is applicable.

" Don't worry if your advanced functions mark is not that good and try your best. It will only be considered as part of your top 6 if the mark is applicable as such. The Economics program only requires that you have the course as a pre-requisite in order to take certain economic courses. Therefore, ONLY the credit is required."

Quote - Ian, Western Admissions Officer Email, February 2011.

However, I am not too sure if the same policy applies towards English as aforementioned above. So really call the university and check their policy because some universities have different policies of their definition of "top 6" and what constitutes the "top 6".

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxalyssa xxalyssa
From the Western website:

* All Grade 12 prerequisites must be successfully completed and will be included in the calculation of your admission average.

The handbook says that English is the only prerequisite for social sciences. Under the recommended courses it states that Advanced Funcions and Calulus and Vectors are necessary for the Econ program, but English is the only really the prereq for that faculty. So that's what the admins officer is telling you: math is recommended for econ because it's needed for upper years, but math isn't needed for other streams (ie. History) and English is the only prereq for social science. You'll have to take them either way and will only be counted in your admission average if it is one of your top 6.

Essentially, recommended courses that are not prereqs will only be counted in if it's your top 6. Since English is a prereq, it'll be counted in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ACCEPTANCES ARE OUT! Everyone check, I just got accepted! :D Good luck to all and see you at UWO!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
Congrats to the newest 'Stangs! Hope to see you all at Western in September!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HughJazz HughJazz
I have an 80, will I get in or no??
Was this helpful? Yes 0