yconic - UWO Biomed + Ivey?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Biomed + Ivey?

A photo of ManUtd123 ManUtd123
Hey guys, recently I have been doing some research and came upon this dual-degree. I'm not quite sure on how it works. Would I apply to Biomed, for the first 2 years, then switch to Ivey/Biomed together?

Would Ivey guarantee me great finance jobs if I get good grades? (Without the first 2 years BMOS?). I would also have a biomed degree if I decide to go to med school.

Another question is how expensive is Ivey and staying at UWO? I always hear people talking about how expensive Ivey is, etc. I'm sorry for these noob questions. I'm just some noob who is clueless about admission processes and I'd like to get some feedback.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ManUtd123 wrote
Would Ivey guarantee me great finance jobs if I get good grades?

Yes, you will probably be making 400K on Wall Street for your first year after graduation.

Seriously, it's only as good as you are. You could end up working at McDonalds
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ManUtd123 ManUtd123

@Username81 wrote

@ManUtd123 wrote
Would Ivey guarantee me great finance jobs if I get good grades?

Yes, you will probably be making 400K on Wall Street for your first year after graduation.

Seriously, it's only as good as you are. You could end up working at McDonalds

Ahaha, I kind of worded the question incorrectly.

How would the admission process work? Would I apply solely to Western Biomed? After 2 years would I apply to Ivey? Or do I apply to them both at the same time (that would mean I still need the 87+ with good ECs?).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You would apply via OUAC to UWO Biomed. Check off the box (if applicable with Biomed), yes you have the intent on applying to Ivey.

*NOTE* THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU'VE APPLIED TO IVEY YET**

Then you have to fill out a separate application/supplementary essay for AEO Status (it's a bit later than the OUAC deadline I believe). This is the application for AEO. The aforementioned is the application to UWO Biomed.

And yes, an 87% is the cut-off although they weigh it 50-50 between EC's and grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
You can do an Ivey Dual Degree with almost any program at UWO.

The way Ivey works is that you apply to your preferred UWO program like everyone else. You fill out an Ivey AEO application which is completely separate from your UWO application and you wait for both admissions.

Should you be accepted to both, you will enroll in your UWO program for years 1 and 2 and then you have the choice to either 1) Go straight into Ivey, ditching your normal program and doing another 2 years of Ivey totalling 4 years or 2) Forget about Ivey and finish your normal UWO program and 3) Do a dual degree in which 3rd year you will do pure Ivey and in years 4 and 5 you will do both courses from Ivey and your other UWO program.

Biomed isn't too hard to get into, neither is Ivey ... both around high 80s to low 90s and in Ivey you need some good ECs.

Ivey is around 22K a year. Biomed and other normal Canadian undergraduate programs are like 6 k a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Things:

If you do a double degree, you're committing yourself to five years of school as opposed to the normal four. During this time, you'll be taking a much heavier course load, which will make it harder to keep a good GPA. You NEED a good GPA to be considered for medicine, and it's often a large risk to assume that you can handle both Ivey and a science undergraduate.

You'll have virtually NO other electives in upper years for things you might have an interest in, as every course you need to take will be devoted to fulfilling a requirement. At the same time, you're robbing yourself of spaces you could be using to take business courses. Although it might not hurt to see a B.Msc (your bachelor of medical science), it's typically out of the ordinary and might suggest that you're not truly committed to a career in business. Your knowledge of human anatomy and orgo chemistry isn't going to be completely useful in business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Username81 wrote

423k as reported in the 2011 Annual Report that just came out. Obviously.

There is also the new Ivey Guarantee* TM for that number. Probably my a$$. You are in safe hands.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@g93 wrote

@Username81 wrote

423k as reported in the 2011 Annual Report that just came out. Obviously.

Don't forget signing bonuses and free bottle service. I heard of a few people who were able to negotiate it into their contract so they had models dancing around their desk all day every day. Can't put a dollar value on that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0