yconic - UWO Biomed: Physics in second year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Biomed: Physics in second year?

A photo of ScienceGuy ScienceGuy
Hey everybody

I am going to UWO Biological and Medical Sciences in september. I was wondering whether it will be advisable to take first year physics in second year and take two electives in first year, to make it a bit easier in first year? If anybody in this program could provide from information, it would be grealty appreciated. Thanks

Also what are some so called "bird" courses? I wanna get something in which I could get a high gpa.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Physics for the Biological Sciences I and II are both bird courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks for the feedback, Also would you recommend taking physics in second year? because it says the physics requirment must be completed by th end 2nd year? And if you take it first year is the course load managable?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
If you don't want to take physics in first year because you think it will make your year too tough, then you're mistaking. PftBS I and II are both easy and not a lot of work. To get physics done and over with, especially while grade 12 physics is still sort of fresh in your mind (if you took it, that is), I'd recommend taking it in first year. This comes with the added benefit of taking the course at the same time that a lot of your friends/classmates are taking it.

The semester that you take bio 2290 will likely be your busiest semester in university, especially if you take it in the first semester of second year. This is when you want to take a real breeze of a course, something even easier than PftBS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ameltingbanana ameltingbanana
Yeah I'm going to have to agree with matt here - I found second year much harder than first (first was comparatively a breeze), so take physics first year, PftBS is really not that much work to get a high 80-low 90 in, compared to other courses. In addition, the way they have it set up, you can pretty much do well in the course without ever leaving your room (EVERYTHING'S online. EVEN CLICKER QUESTIONS). You want to be able to load up on some interesting and relaxing courses as electives in second year, in my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
If you don't want to take physics in first year because you think it will make your year too tough, then you're mistaking. PftBS I and II are both easy and not a lot of work. To get physics done and over with, especially while grade 12 physics is still sort of fresh in your mind (if you took it, that is), I'd recommend taking it in first year. This comes with the added benefit of taking the course at the same time that a lot of your friends/classmates are taking it.

The semester that you take bio 2290 will likely be your busiest semester in university, especially if you take it in the first semester of second year. This is when you want to take a real breeze of a course, something even easier than PftBS.

+1
you would be mucher better of taking physics (for the life sciences one) in 1st year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ight thanks guys, I think ill take it first year. The only professors teaching the course are Zinke-Allmang, and Kaluarachchi, could someone shares their experiences if they took the course taught by these profressors?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stack444 stack444
zinke teaches the lectures, kaluarachi does the labs. you have no choice here
zinke is apparently really boring and dry, but all his lectures are posted online
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw
Zinke is one of the most famous profs at western; u'll see when you get here. you really dont need to go to his lectures, I didnt go to any of them and ended with a pretty decent mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0