yconic - UWO Biomed
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Biomed

A photo of eagerbeaver2010 eagerbeaver2010
Hey guys ! Yes I'm back yet again with another Question.

Anyone know which Calc/Math courses are required first year? Cuz I was looking at the old SA forums and people are saying how there is calc 1000A/B and 1100A/B. Which one is the "easier" one?

Also, do you have to take stats 1024 as biomed student in second year?? Can I subsitute that for anyting else, or is that mandatory?

Thanks, (ps. im not the best at math, so i need to avoid it :P):batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
Why are you worrying about courses if you haven't even been accepted/applied yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clarab clarab
Seriously, don't worry too much about it yet, but I'm in biomed at UWO, and took first semester calc 1000, and found it pretty easy, it was actually my highest mark (it was in the high 90s), but math is my best subject.
1100 is supposedly easier, but in reality it isn't, as you write the same final. So there's not much difference between the two courses.

Second semester you can take stats or linear algebra though, both of which are easier. Actually, I'm not entirely sure if calc is required for all modules, I just needed it for the module I want to do.

And as for stats 1024...... that would be a first year course? So I'm not really sure what you're talking about there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of j29 j29
stats 1024 is a first year stats course thus it won't be required in second year.

to maintain in the biomed program at UWO, in first year you are required to take 1.0 math credit. you don't have to choose calc, but calc is very popular. you may even choose stats 1024

in second year you are required to take either stats 2222 or bio 2244 (aka bio stats)

more info for the courses required for each module can be found here: http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2010/pg586.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of guppal guppal
just to add... I know alot of kids that are in BioMED and realizing it is alot more research based once you move into your upper years. If its a med school focus you want THE FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCE (Kin or Health Sci) is a great choice and is often overlooked.

They give you all the credentials that BioMed would (at least at Western) and alot of kids enjoy the programs alot more.

Let me know if you want more info
Was this helpful? Yes 0

guppal.

Hey. So with a Kin degree, can I apply to Law , Dent, pharm, med, opptometry, and even US med/dent?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys. My dad is kind of against Kinesiology. He belives that I dont have the same options/opportunities after Kin that I would after biomed. Is this true?

Cuz I think I'd be able to do the same stuff (ie. apply to all the same places ) after Kin.

Is this not true???

Plz let me know :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stopngolow stopngolow

@eagerbeaver2010 wrote
Hey guys. My dad is kind of against Kinesiology. He belives that I dont have the same options/opportunities after Kin that I would after biomed. Is this true?

Cuz I think I'd be able to do the same stuff (ie. apply to all the same places ) after Kin.

Is this not true???

Plz let me know :)

Hey,

you can apply to most graduate programs with any degree. So long as you do the required supplementary exams such as the MCAT for medical school or the LSAT for law school, you can get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius
Is there any specific reason why a lot of people like the Biomed program at UWO ? My understanding is after your 1st year , you still have to reapply to this program? Is this program better than Guelph Biomed ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Correct, you do need to maintain a good average to enter 2nd year of Bio-Med tracks. A few of the tracks are super-competitive. In general, a low 80 will still get you thru into Bio-med. If not, you can still continue on in Chem, Biology, etc.

Why Western ? For me it was: Large science faculty with extensive selection of courses and opportunities; Tremendous school spirit; athletic facilities; campus is bonus; Profs and administration that seemed to care; I look really good in purple.

Better than Guelph ? -- that is really for you to decide. You will hear lots of opinions on here. Guelph probably has some good Biology related programs and appear to be unique in cadaver access to undergrads (as I read on here somewhere). For Bio/Life sciences, I applied at McGill, MAC, Western, Queens. I did visit Guelph. It just did not have the feel I was looking for.

Western first year science classes are very large - probably the largest with 900 people in Chem & Bio. The profs are really good though and can work a room that big.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RedMittenDoc RedMittenDoc

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote
Why are you worrying about courses if you haven't even been accepted/applied yet?

His name is eager beaver, it's in his nature, plus if your cool you will understand this quote: "THE CAKE IS A LIE!" (referring to your sig)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted