yconic - UWO BMOS MATH COURSES
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO BMOS MATH COURSES

A photo of LLUS LLUS
Which one is earsier? I took MCV and got 82 and I took MDM and got 80. My school is hard on math class. I need two math.
Calculus 1000
Math 1225
Math 1228
Math 1229
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of masonuwo masonuwo
Both math courses are very basic, introductory-level courses that you should do well in. Having said that, I (and many of my friends) found 1228 to be MUCH easier. I got 100% on the first two exams :P. However.. I took 1229 FIRST, and it was my first year, first semester at UWO, so say what you want about first-year jitters ..but I did very well in both lol

Here's both course descriptions :)

Mathematics 1228A/B - Methods of Finite Mathematics
Permutations and combinations; probability theory. This course is intended primarily for students in the Social Sciences, but may meet minimum requirements for some Biological or Basic Medical Sciences modules.
Antirequisite(s): Mathematics 2124A/B, 2155A/B, Statistical Sciences 2035, 2141A/B, 2857A/B, the former Mathematics 031, the former Statistical Sciences 2657A.
Prerequisite(s): One or more of Ontario Secondary School MCV4U, MHF4U, MDM4U, Mathematics 0110A/B, 1225A/B, 1229A/B, the former Mathematics 017a/b, the former Ontario Secondary School MGA4U, MCB4U.
Corequisite(s):
Pre-or Corequisite(s):
Extra Information: 3 lecture hours, 0.5 course.

Mathematics 1229A/B - Methods of Matrix Algebra
Matrix algebra including vectors and matrices, linear equations, determinants. This course is intended primarily for students in the Social Sciences, but may meet minimum requirements for some Biological or Basic Medical Sciences modules.
Antirequisite(s): Applied Mathematics 1411A/B, 2811B, Mathematics 1600A/B, 2120A/B, 2155A/B, 2211A/B, the former Linear Algebra 1600A/B, Mathematics 030, 031, 203b.
Prerequisite(s): One or more of Ontario Secondary School MCF3M, MCR3U, or equivalent.
Corequisite(s):
Pre-or Corequisite(s):
Extra Information: 3 lecture hours, 0.5 course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of masonuwo masonuwo
Sorry, and also those were the only two first year maths I took.. can't help you with the others but I was told my two were the easiest? Guess it all depends on what you like, or can do well in :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplank jplank
From easiest to hardest:

For a bit more detail, see my post here:

http://www.londonmathtutor.com/first-year-courses/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of SKing16 SKing16

@BusterBaxter wrote
if you want to go into finance, you have to take calculus 1000. I'd recommend Math 1229+Calc1000

I'm doing BMOS with Ivey AEO and I too want to specialize into Finance, but is Calculus really that necessary for the subject material of Finance itself?

I know Calc is a pre-req for the Finance module in BMOS, but I'm talking about Finance in Ivey-level. Do you need to know a lot of Calculus for Ivey, or is gr. 12 calc fine?

At the moment I'm taking Math 1229 and Math 1225. I'm not sure if I should take Stats and/or Calculus. In Grade 12 I did not take Data Management, but I took Calc (88%) and Functions (86%), which Math courses do you recommend me taking?

If Calculus is a big part of Finance in general and for Ivey, I'll take it, unless Methods of Calculus (1225) will suffice. I just don't see how finding the derivative or integral would help me in consulting or corporate finance.

I also was thinking about Calc + Math 1229, but they are both offered first semester, which would ruin my whole schedule. Calc is offered semester two, but at times that don't fit in with my schedule, and I was told not to take Calc in semester 2 because the exams are less predictable and therefore harder.

Lastly, my other main problem is Econometrics. I know Calc is a pre-req for this course, and I was wondering if anyone has taken this course and if it is useful or helpful in business. I heard it's basically Economics with a lot of formulas and math, and it's relatively difficult.

If anyone could help me clear all this help so I can choose the right courses, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. However, my first priority will always be maintaining that 80% average, too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0