yconic - UWO COURSE HELP!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO COURSE HELP!!

A photo of SKing16 SKing16
Hey,

I'm making my schedule for UWO and I really need some help. I'm currently into BMOS with Ivey AEO, and I had some questions that I hope people could help me with. Your help and time will be greatly appreciated.

1. Which Math course should I take, under my circumstance (I'm Ivey AEO and need 80% average minimum), Methods of Calculus (1225) or Calculus (1000)? I know 1225 is easier, but which one will better prepare me for Ivey? I heard Calc is a pre-red for some Economic courses in second year, and I was wondering if those eco courses are important. My other math course is matrix algebra.

2. Psych or Poli Sci? I'm interested in both, but I heard Psych is better for business...which one is easier?

That's about it. Any tips on schedule making would greatly be appreciated, I currently have gaps between almost every class, which I heard can be a waste of time... is it better to have like 2 or 3 back to back classes so I finish earlier?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of yenee yenee
Calc 1000 seems like a continuation course from high school calculus. I have friends who took Math 1225, but it was more of a course to fulfill a 1.0 credit in math for med school. I would suggest taking calculus 1000 instead of Math 1225 as it deems to be more useful than Math 1225 if you plan on pursuing Ivey. Both courses are fairly easy, so it's honestly a pick between which course will help you prepare for Ivey more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@SKing16 wrote
Hey,

I'm making my schedule for UWO and I really need some help. I'm currently into BMOS with Ivey AEO, and I had some questions that I hope people could help me with. Your help and time will be greatly appreciated.

1. Which Math course should I take, under my circumstance (I'm Ivey AEO and need 80% average minimum), Methods of Calculus (1225) or Calculus (1000)? I know 1225 is easier, but which one will better prepare me for Ivey? I heard Calc is a pre-red for some Economic courses in second year, and I was wondering if those eco courses are important. My other math course is matrix algebra.

2. Psych or Poli Sci? I'm interested in both, but I heard Psych is better for business...which one is easier?

That's about it. Any tips on schedule making would greatly be appreciated, I currently have gaps between almost every class, which I heard can be a waste of time... is it better to have like 2 or 3 back to back classes so I finish earlier?

The easiest second semester math class is calculus 1501b...........better sign up soon since this one fills up pretty quick XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplank jplank

@Quiz wrote

@SKing16 wrote
Hey,

The easiest second semester math class is calculus 1501b...........better sign up soon since this one fills up pretty quick XD

In case it's not obvious, Quiz has a sick sense of humour. 1501 is the hardest first year math course. AVOID IT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@jplank wrote

@Quiz wrote

@SKing16 wrote
Hey,

In case it's not obvious, Quiz has a sick sense of humour. 1501 is the hardest first year math course. AVOID IT.

Unless the dude above took the course like I did, his comment is completely void.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplank jplank

@Quiz wrote

@jplank wrote

@Quiz wrote

@SKing16 wrote
Hey,

Unless the dude above took the course like I did, his comment is completely void.

Yes, I took the course. I've also tutored dozens of students in 1501 as well as over 500 students in other first year math courses at UWO. On top of that, I've taught just over 40 prep sessions covering most of the first year math courses offered at UWO. My statement was based on my teaching experiences with students. 1501 is the hardest first year math course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lhunthonwen Lhunthonwen

@jplank wrote

@Quiz wrote

@jplank wrote

Yes, I took the course. I've also tutored dozens of students in 1501 as well as over 500 students in other first year math courses at UWO. On top of that, I've taught just over 40 prep sessions covering most of the first year math courses offered at UWO. My statement was based on my teaching experiences with students. 1501 is the hardest first year math course.

It's completely a matter of perspective. My roommate took 1501 and loved it - her first year average was also above 90%. I took 1301 and found it a bit tough, but it was definitely easier than 1501. They are similar - I think the only difference is that you need to know a lot more theory and proofs in 1501. If I was to recommend one to you, it would be 1301B, and NOT with Corless as a prof.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplank jplank
I'm going to elaborate a bit on why it isn't just a matter of opinion and why 1501 really is the hardest first year math course at UWO.

Firstly, 1501 is a course designed for people majoring in either math or a math intensive major. 1301 is a course covering similar material. However, 1501 includes everything in 1301 plus some extra material. So, there's no way 1301 can be said to be as hard as 1501.

0110 is a high school equivalent math course. It's for people who haven't taken high school Calculus. There's no way a high school math course is as hard as a calculus course designed for math intensive degrees.

1225, 1228 and 1229 are courses designed for people who need a math credit. Usually people in business or social science degrees. The courses give students an introduction to certain areas of math . These courses are meant to test whether students have a basic competency of the areas involved. However, as far as I know, there are no math courses that allow any of 1225, 1228 and 1229 to be used as prerequisites. This is because the courses don't go in depth in any topics. Students learn topics in these courses in the simplest way and there's no real "tricks". Again, these courses are meant for non-math majors and there can be no argument that they're easier than 1501.

Calc 1000 and 1100 are first semester calculus courses. Both are prerequisites for 1301 and 1501. I don't think you can argue that prerequisites are easier than the courses they lead into. So, we can say that both of these must be easier than 1501.

That leaves 1600. This is a linear algebra course that's required for math intensive degrees. Here, an arguement can be made that this course is on par or more difficult than 1501. My personal opinion is that it's a bit easier than 1501 partly due to changes made in both 1600 and 1501 in the past few years. But, I could understand someone saying that it was harder than 1501.

1500 is a relatively new course. Considering that it's an enriched version of 1000, I suspect that the difficulty would be on par with 1501 (except, perhaps, a little easier since it's a prerequisite to 1501).

tl;dr - 1600 might be considered harder than 1501, and 1500 might be equal to 1501 (maybe). But there's really no argument that the other courses are easier than 1501.

I can understand that it's possible that Quiz found 1501 easy in general. But, I'm making the point that whether or not you're the kind of person who would find 1501 easy, you'll find some of these other courses even easier. And why take a harder course if you don't need to. It's not a matter of opinion and it's not a matter of perspective. If 1501 is required for you - then take it (it's not like you have a choice). If it's not required, there's no way in hell you should be taking it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
@jplank

Quiz is just a forum troll, messing with people's heads. It's pretty obvious that if 1501 is a superset of 1301 it will be more difficult.

Either way, your in depth information about UWO math courses has been incredibly useful! Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKing16 SKing16

@yenee wrote
Calc 1000 seems like a continuation course from high school calculus. I have friends who took Math 1225, but it was more of a course to fulfill a 1.0 credit in math for med school. I would suggest taking calculus 1000 instead of Math 1225 as it deems to be more useful than Math 1225 if you plan on pursuing Ivey. Both courses are fairly easy, so it's honestly a pick between which course will help you prepare for Ivey more.

Thanks for your input. To be honest you don't use in-depth Calculus in Ivey, or even in the profession I wish to pursue upon graduation, so I don't know if I'm going to take it. I rather take easier math courses that'll bring my average up instead of down.

@BusterBaxter wrote
Take calc1000, especially if you are wanting to continue in the finance stream. The economics courses that require them are mandatory in second year, so not taking calc1000 means you can't do finance in second year.

Neither is "better for business". Take which one you find more interesting. Look at the prof reviews and course outlines and see which one better fits into your schedule.

Avoid gaps if they aren't 3+ hours long. 2 or 2.5 hour gaps aren't bad. 1 hour gaps are useless.

Finance stream is useless to me since I'm an AEO. I won't be graduating with a BMOS degree, so the specialization makes no difference (yes, my only option is keep AEO status or don't graduate, it's a mentality that has helped in the past). The only sole reason I'm considering Calc is for 1. Econometrics where Calc is pre-req and if it's a useful course to take, and 2. If the information in Calc is relevant to Ivey and real-life business.

Also, if I set Calculus aside, which other two math do you think is the most helpful and easiest? I know I can get above 90 in 1229 and 1225, but there is a bit of Stats in Ivey so I was wondering if I should take 1228.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nananami nananami
Hello, I'm wondering about Math 1228 and Stats 1024. What are their differences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I am not in BMOS but I am personally taking Calc 1000 and PoliSci because I heard that Psych is just a lot of memorization...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@BusterBaxter wrote

@SKing16 wrote

Finance stream is useless to me since I'm an AEO. I won't be graduating with a BMOS degree, so the specialization makes no difference (yes, my only option is keep AEO status or don't graduate, it's a mentality that has helped in the past). The only sole reason I'm considering Calc is for 1. Econometrics where Calc is pre-req and if it's a useful course to take, and 2. If the information in Calc is relevant to Ivey and real-life business.

Also, if I set Calculus aside, which other two math do you think is the most helpful and easiest? I know I can get above 90 in 1229 and 1225, but there is a bit of Stats in Ivey so I was wondering if I should take 1228.

Don't talk in that kind of attitude.. you will quickly learn that no one at Western really cares that you are AEO, and AEO does not mean you are better than BMOS students. If you don't recognize that you should focus on BMOS, not Ivey, during your first two years, you really don't understand the concept of the 2+2 program. So take the courses required for your program pre-Ivey..

Econometrics is much like a stats course, and it is recommended to take a stats course prior to HBA, so it certainly won't hurt you to take it. You'll learn much more in Econometrics compared to a course like Stats 2035, and it will be taught in a way that is relevant to a career in business/economics. Math 1229 is VERY UNHELPFUL. you will learn nothing useful.. I have no idea why UWO offers this course to people who have already taken MCV4U. You are much more likely to use the concepts learned in Calc1000 in real life than the concepts learned in Math 1229. Math 1229 is a waste of tuition to anyone who has already taken MCV4U. Just my two cents. Math 1225 is good back-up plan to Calc 1000.

Heesoup, Psych is in fact a lot of reading & memorization, but a very interesting course. If you are interested in the content, it's really not so bad. I know people who got mid-high 80s, a few people who got 90s as well, and it was because they loved the subject. If you're really interested in it, go for it. Every class will have memorization.

I agree with you. Way too many people have AEO status this year and it is nothing to brag about. And thanks for your advice, but I never really liked psych lolol. I prefer sociology :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bure Bure
Thoughts on my courses?

Intro to Business 1220E - Hunter
Introductory Calculus 0110 - Valluri
Microeconomics 1021A - Copplestone
Macroeconomics 1022B - Ibbott
Psychology 1000 - Isaacs
Intro to Poli Sci 1020E - Muller

... and then hopefully Calculus I 1000B but for some reason when I tried signing up for courses online there were only two sections offered (without out even the professor names). And then when I went to submit my selections it wouldn't let me take Calculus 1000B because apparently it was full or something (even though it showed it as still open before that). Does anyone know anything about this? Do they just not really figure out all the 2nd semester classes they're offering until later on?

Here, this is exactly what it says:

"Error: You are unable to enroll in this class at this time. Available seats are reserved and you do not meet the reserve capacity requirements."

If I don't get to do Calculus I this year than I might do Math 1225 or Multimedia 1033 instead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bure Bure

@BusterBaxter wrote

Econometrics is much like a stats course, and it is recommended to take a stats course prior to HBA, so it certainly won't hurt you to take it. You'll learn much more in Econometrics compared to a course like Stats 2035, and it will be taught in a way that is relevant to a career in business/economics. Math 1229 is VERY UNHELPFUL. you will learn nothing useful.. I have no idea why UWO offers this course to people who have already taken MCV4U. You are much more likely to use the concepts learned in Calc1000 in real life than the concepts learned in Math 1229. Math 1229 is a waste of tuition to anyone who has already taken MCV4U. Just my two cents. Math 1225 is good back-up plan to Calc 1000.

Hey, earlier you said that Calc1000 was a pre-requisite course for a lot of 2nd year economics courses. I was just wondering if Math1225 would be considered sufficient for those same courses? I can't take Calc1000 until 2nd semester because I have to take the intro to calc course 1st semester, and it appears as though all the calc1000B courses are filled up. I might still be able to do a Math1225B though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@Bure wrote

@BusterBaxter wrote

Hey, earlier you said that Calc1000 was a pre-requisite course for a lot of 2nd year economics courses. I was just wondering if Math1225 would be considered sufficient for those same courses? I can't take Calc1000 until 2nd semester because I have to take the intro to calc course 1st semester, and it appears as though all the calc1000B courses are filled up. I might still be able to do a Math1225B though.

You need two math credits to take some of the second year economics courses. Also, according to the course calender (http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg1305.html#38080), the intro to calc course is an anti requisite to calculus 1000 and math 1225.

Your best bet is to take Math 1225B and Math 1229A.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Bure Bure

@BusterBaxter wrote

Yes, if you are in BMOS and want to pursue the finance stream, you need to take Calculus 1000, as it is a pre-requisite for Economics 2222A, 2223B, 2260A and 2261B.. all second year courses required in the BMOS Hons. Spec in Finance module. (source)

Math 1225 does not fulfill the pre-requisite requirement for those economics courses. I just checked, and Calculus 1000B still has some free spots. Just to add to this, since you are taking an introductory 0100 level course, you will likely need to take a summer course next year, or else your intent to register may not be successful. Everyone I know who had to take Math 0110 took a Math/Calc course over the summer to satisfy their BMOS module requirements.

If you're interested in finance (and decent at math) I definitely recommend Calculus 1000. Econometrics and Intermediate Microeconomics both require it, and are courses that valuable.

Thanks for all the help.

I ended up signing up for Math1225B since I couldn't sign up for Calc1000B. When I go to my SAO, I'll discuss changing it to Calc1000B. However, Math1225 might be better for me anyways. Apparently it's a lot easier than Calc1000, and with Calc0110 + Math1225 I still have a pretty solid foundation in math for a Social Science student, and I have the prerequisites covered for a lot of those economics courses like 2122, 2123, 2150, 2151.

I'm not really that interested in doing a specialization in finance, so I don't know if I'll need those more advanced econometrics courses.

I'm actually in Poli Sci not BMOS, and I'm hoping to either get into Ivey or make the switch over to BMOS, in which case the accounting specialization interests me the most.

How did you know which courses are required in the finance module? I'd like to see which courses are required for an accounting specialization.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jplank jplank

@nananami wrote
Hello, I'm wondering about Math 1228 and Stats 1024. What are their differences?

I sent you a PM, but I'm going to put my answer here in case other people have the same question.

Math 1228 deals with counting problems, probability and a few statistics concepts (expected value, variance, standard deviation, distributions and z-scores). Overall, it requires a deeper understanding of the concepts involved (compared to 1024). It's a difficult course because even if you study for hours and hours, you'll still feel like there could be some question out there that they could throw at your that you wouldn't be able to solve. The questions are basically all word problems (although later on it shifts into more calculation-type questions). It's similar to data management from high school. It's a strange course in that the beginning is the hardest material and it gets easier near the end.

Stats 1024 is a course where you plug things into formulas. It's more focused on being able to pick the right formula and apply it to the situation. You don't have to understand things as deeply as you do in Math 1228. You're also given a formula sheet on the exams. Most students I tutor prefered 1024 to 1228. There's a little bit of overlap between the courses.

You're not allowed a calculator in 1228, but you are in 1024.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LLUS LLUS
Are you guys talking about BMOS-Finance specialization or Honor specialization ?I think that if it Finance specialization, calculus 1000a/b is not a prerequisite for 2000 level economic-you can look at the calender.But for Honor specialization, you must complete calculus 1000a/b.
Was this helpful? Yes 0