yconic - UWO Courses - Help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Courses - Help!

A photo of Goodbye Goodbye
1. Which essay course would you recommend? Both interesting and high marks?

2. Which Category B courses would you recommend? Same as #1, courses that are both interesting and with high marks? (Just asking so I can fill the breadth requirements for graduation by the end of first year...)

3. Would it be unwise to take Writing 1000 F/G?

4. Which course would you pick from Anthropology, Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Sociology, Women's Studies?

For the record, there's no room on my schedule for Classics...

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Take whatever interests YOU.

Honestly, none of those disciplines you mentioned seem to offer courses that I've heard are bird courses. I knew quite a few people who took Sociology in first year because they thought it'd be easy; they ended up being sorry.

Writing courses are great because they improve your marks in other classes. They're also a nice break from your typical memorization-heavy class. For those two reasons, I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to improve his or her writing skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waitaminute waitaminute
I took 2 essay courses in first year - History 1401E and Poli Sci 1020E. History I HATED. I loved history going into university, and this course made me despise it!! I did poorly on the essays and I always was a good writer. Poli Sci was better than history, but super boring!

For Category B courses I'd recommend a language. That being said, only if you have a knack for languages. I took first year Spanish and did really well.

Writing 1000 sounds like a great course to take, especially because it improves your writing for other classes. And like the other person said, it's not the same memorization as other classes.

Personally, I would never take Anthro or Econ as an elective. Not easy. First year Sociology has a horrible prof and everyone I know got 60% or lower. Women's Studies, only if you're really into it, otherwise it's BORING! Geography - easiest of them all. And you already know what I think about History.
Was this helpful? Yes 0