yconic - UWO Courses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Courses

A photo of Jsimple Jsimple
Hey, I got an offer of admission to Western with Ivey AEO, and though I want to keep my status I really don't want to take all bird courses, so I was wondering for any current students at UWO how difficult it would be to maintain an 80% average in these courses:

1220 - Intro to Business
1022E - Advanced Introduction to English Literatures and Cultures
1020E - Film Studies
1000 - Introduction to Psychology
All MIT first year courses (1200, 1500, 1700)
And any beginner language courses for someone who knows absolutely no languages other than English.

Thanks a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
40 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Jsimple wrote
Hey, I got an offer of admission to Western with Ivey AEO, and though I want to keep my status I really don't want to take all bird courses, so I was wondering for any current students at UWO how difficult it would be to maintain an 80% average in these courses:

1220 - Intro to Business
1020E - Film Studies
And any beginner language courses for someone who knows absolutely no languages other than English.

Thanks a lot.

Take calculus 1501 like I did.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@Jsimple wrote

1220 - Intro to Business
1020E - Film Studies

Thanks a lot.

Won't be difficult at all with those courses. And I also agree that you should take calculus 1501, it was my favourite course this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
You can only take 5.0 credit per year. Right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ If you want to take more, you have to apply for course overload. And that's 5.0 total for Fall and Winter semesters; you can take more during Spring/Summer sessions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
The only one of those courses that I took was Biz20, and even though it's tough to get an 80 in that course (as it is in every course), it's SUCH a great course and I 100% recommend you take it, especially if you didn't take grade 12 accounting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Has anyone taken any of these courses? Especially English 1022.

Also do any of you have any tips for maintaining an 80% average at UWO?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waitaminute waitaminute

@Jsimple wrote

1220 - Intro to Business
1020E - Film Studies

Thanks a lot.

Business 1220 is a lot of work and exams are 4 hours long. I know a couple people taking this who were very stressed.

Psych 1000 - People found it intersting, but there is tons of reading. Exams are all multiple choice. Possible to get an 80% ONLY if you do really well on MC exams and read the whole textbook.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jsimple wrote
Has anyone taken any of these courses? Especially English 1022.

Why would you take the advanced intro course? Why not just take the regular one?

I took English 1020 ("the regular one"). Didn't really like it at all. I hate poetry, and the course mostly consisted of poem analysis. I thought it was cool that I could read something and come to some understanding of the reading and then find out that people had totally different interpretations. Then again, I also thought that was gay. Writing of any sort, to me, is always just a form of communication, nothing more. Prose/very literal forms of literature are the best ways to communicate, not poetry that uses messages hidden in rhyme schemes and meters and that can be interpreted in several different ways. If you're an artsy fartsy, then you'll probably like this course; otherwise, don't take it (unless you need to).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of epinephrine epinephrine
Hey guys, im just wondering, I got accepted to arts at Western, but im considering finding a way to switch into the BMOS program, would any of you know how hard that is to do? Any info like that would be great, thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ You'd definitely have to get into contact with a BMOS academic counselor. Normally it's pretty simple to switch programs, but not in this case. What is complicating the matter is that you must be in BMOS to take the MOS courses that are required for the BMOS degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
Why is Calc 1501 a good course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@TruthfulTruist wrote

Great professors, interesting lecture material, you'll learn a lot, and people will think you're smart for taking it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

The difference between 1501 and 1301 is not significant. Just a matter of an extra two sections of a chapter in the textbook. Basically means that 1501 needs to cover 52 lectures in the same time that it takes 1301 to cover 50 lectures. Which course has the more difficult exams will differ per year. 1501 has all-written exams; 1301 has a mix of MC and written. While MC seems easier, remember that there are no part marks with MC. Unless you're a math/physics person, I'd err on the side of caution and take 1301.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BusterBaxter wrote

@JNBirDy wrote

@TruthfulTruist wrote

Great professors, interesting lecture material, you'll learn a lot, and people will think you're smart for taking it!

Keep in mind this advice is coming from a physics student, haha. Props to you for taking the course, though!

1301 is basically the more challenging calculus course for non-physics students, and probably a better option for the OP, if they even want to go there. I don't see the reason why non-physics students would take 1501 over 1301?

Mathematics, applied mathematics, finance, statistics, actuarial science, and economics students take 1501 as well.

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
The difference between 1501 and 1301 is not significant. Just a matter of an extra two sections of a chapter in the textbook. Basically means that 1501 needs to cover 52 lectures in the same time that it takes 1301 to cover 50 lectures. Which course has the more difficult exams will differ per year. 1501 has all-written exams; 1301 has a mix of MC and written. While MC seems easier, remember that there are no part marks with MC. Unless you're a math/physics person, I'd err on the side of caution and take 1301.

Eh... what's taught might not be very different, but the type of exam questions given are very different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I remember using the 1501 practice exams (they were also in the practice exam booklet I had for 1301) to study for the 1301 exams. Aside from the few questions I wasn't able to answer from the material covered in 1501 but not 1301, I actually found the 1501 exams to be easier (there were only two practice exams for each course though, as that was just a couple years after OAC ended and the curriculum changed quite significantly). After writing the 1301 midterm, I really wished I had taken 1501 (which had already had their supposedly easy midterm). Class average was 58%, though they did add 10% to everyone's marks (so that class average actually turned out to be 68%).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone have any advice for classes they'd recomend taking, or they recomend not taking? Hard classes and easy classes?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I remember using the 1501 practice exams (they were also in the practice exam booklet I had for 1301) to study for the 1301 exams. Aside from the few questions I wasn't able to answer from the material covered in 1501 but not 1301, I actually found the 1501 exams to be easier (there were only two practice exams for each course though, as that was just a couple years after OAC ended and the curriculum changed quite significantly). After writing the 1301 midterm, I really wished I had taken 1501 (which had already had their supposedly easy midterm). Class average was 58%, though they did add 10% to everyone's marks (so that class average actually turned out to be 68%).

You're right, but calc 1501 has changed a bit. The old midterms were really easy compared to the midterms this year.

The first midterm had a class average of ~53% while the second midterm had a class average of ~60%. The final exam had 4 proofs and one question that neither me or anyone I talked to was able to answer.

That being said, I saw the 1301 midterm this year and it definitely wasn't easy - but also wasn't very difficult.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur
Thoughts on these courses? As in difficulty, professors, and how interesting they are.

Math 1228 (What type of math is this?)
Computer Science 1032
Conceptual Physics
Economics Micro and Macro
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mvplayur wrote
Thoughts on these courses? As in difficulty, professors, and how interesting they are.

Math 1228 (What type of math is this?)
Computer Science 1032
Conceptual Physics
Economics Micro and Macro

Math 1228 is Methods of Finite Mathematics. I can't imaging it being to difficult or interesting for that matter.

If you're interesting in computer science I would take Computer Science Fundamentals I and II (1026A/1027B).

Conceptual Physics is probably very easy.

Micro and Macro economics are not easy. But if you're interesting in economics you'll enjoy them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
I'm a Political Science major and I'm trying to figure out if I need to bother with Calculus. I am more than welcome to do it - I just need to know if it's necessary or recommended (because I don't want to risk lowering my average if Calculus flops on me).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TruthfulTruist wrote
I'm a Political Science major and I'm trying to figure out if I need to bother with Calculus. I am more than welcome to do it - I just need to know if it's necessary or recommended (because I don't want to risk lowering my average if Calculus flops on me).

http://westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg1392.html

Doesn't appear to be a mathematics requirement. First semester calculus is pretty basic though, and if you are/did well in grade 12 calculus, you may want to do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted