yconic - uwo elective course
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

uwo elective course

A photo of Aleena101 Aleena101
Hi guys,

Im doing biomed at western and im not really sure which elective to take..

im picking between psychology and economics..i know they are very different.

but anyways..i havent taken an economics course before (though i have taken a few other business courses) but I heard it still easy and plus I might want to do a minor in economics (btw can i do this? like a degree in BMSc with a minor in economics?)

and do you need psychology for dental or med school?

Also if anyone know which one is easier/bird course. Thankss :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of darkchocolatepeanutbutter darkchocolatepeanutbutter
I took psychology in first year (last year). There was a lot of reading and you are asked about little details. You are responsible for knowing the information for every little box and picture in the text. Having said that, you are tested on 4 chapters at a time (there are 16), and none of the tests are cumulative. Also, the material itself is not particularly difficult.. there's just a lot of vocab and such to memorize!

I heard first semester economics is okay, but that it's really challenging in second semester. I'd say psych is probably a bit easier.

You do not need psychology for medical or dental schools.. at least in Ontario :).

Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bbvm16 bbvm16
I also took psychology this past year, and honestly I hated it. I decided to take it because it was a very popular elective for science students, and people told me it was pretty bio heavy which I love. However, the course was not what I expected at all. A TON of reading, and I didn't find it very interesting. In general, the concepts learned are ish interesting, but when you have to read like 50 pages in the text book about it, it becomes very unenjoyable. Also, the exams are very detail oriented, which is really annoying. I was determined to do well in the course, and as a result I probably spent 50% of my total studying time this year on psych- and it was my elective! I did in the end do well, but it took a TON of work. People told me that if you are good at bio, you will breeze through psych but that is SO not true. I do have the easiest time with bio of all the sciences, but psych was certainly not easy for me. Anyways, don't mean to scare you away from the course as I do have a lot of friends who enjoyed it, but just consider other elective possibilities too.

On the other hand, I have a friend who took econ and she said she did well....but I don't know how typical that is for the course.

Also, as far as I know, you do not need psych for dental or meds.

Good luck in whichever course you choose!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waitaminute waitaminute

@bbvm16 wrote
I also took psychology this past year, and honestly I hated it. I decided to take it because it was a very popular elective for science students, and people told me it was pretty bio heavy which I love. However, the course was not what I expected at all. A TON of reading, and I didn't find it very interesting. In general, the concepts learned are ish interesting, but when you have to read like 50 pages in the text book about it, it becomes very unenjoyable. Also, the exams are very detail oriented, which is really annoying. I was determined to do well in the course, and as a result I probably spent 50% of my total studying time this year on psych- and it was my elective! I did in the end do well, but it took a TON of work. People told me that if you are good at bio, you will breeze through psych but that is SO not true. I do have the easiest time with bio of all the sciences, but psych was certainly not easy for me. Anyways, don't mean to scare you away from the course as I do have a lot of friends who enjoyed it, but just consider other elective possibilities too.

On the other hand, I have a friend who took econ and she said she did well....but I don't know how typical that is for the course.

Also, as far as I know, you do not need psych for dental or meds.

Good luck in whichever course you choose!

+1 to that. Also, Economics is NOT a bird course. People generally never take it as an elective. It's really only Econ majors or BMOS students (who have to take it). If you study you can do okay, and it's not nearly as hard as Psych, but it is definately not a bird course.

If you want a good 1st year bird course try Comp Sci 1032A/B and Comp Sci 1033A/B. Possible to pull off 90!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bbvm16 bbvm16
^I definitely agree with taking 1033 or 1032 as an elective- I took 1033 this year and got 90+ fairly easily. My advice on that course though is to not consider it a bird course while you are taking it. You have to put in the effort to get the marks, but it's definitely possible. Be careful though, since you're in biomed you can't take those courses as your elective this year. Your elective has to be from categories A or B. I took 1033b instead of second half physics, so I was fine. As you know, I took psych as my elective, which is in category A I believe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0