yconic - UWO Engineering Elective?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Engineering Elective?

A photo of InvertedZebra InvertedZebra
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on electives, especially from engineers.
I'm thinking about doing micro and macro econ, but I've also heard good things about classics and geography 1100.

Can anyone comment on the easiness of these courses and how much time you have to spend on them to get a good mark?
Also any other suggestions? I have to pick from these: http://www.eng.uwo.ca/undergraduate/firstyear/electives.htm

Thanks a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@InvertedZebra wrote
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on electives, especially from engineers.
I'm thinking about doing micro and macro econ, but I've also heard good things about classics and geography 1100.

Can anyone comment on the easiness of these courses and how much time you have to spend on them to get a good mark?
Also any other suggestions? I have to pick from these: http://www.eng.uwo.ca/undergraduate/firstyear/electives.htm

Thanks a lot!

Economics isn't easy at all - don't take it if you're looking for an easy elective, but if it's something you're interested in you should take it.

Classics and geography aren't as difficult, and I've heard geography is pretty boring.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'd definitely suggest taking something that interests you. A disinterest in some course can easily turn it from an easy course to one that you actually don't do so well in.

I've heard from several people that "Listening to Music", as shouldn't be surprising, is a really easy course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I'd definitely suggest taking something that interests you. A disinterest in some course can easily turn it from an easy course to one that you actually don't do so well in.

I've heard from several people that "Listening to Music", as shouldn't be surprising, is a really easy course.

+1

JNBirDy and I seem to disagree on economics courses, haha!

In my honest opinion, they are fairly straightforward courses, as long as you go to class and read the text/review your notes afterwards, buy the study guide (it summarizes each chapter and gives you 15 T/F and 25 M/C practice questions, and short answer questions, plus the answers) and take your time answering the multiple choice exams, you should do fine.

Macro is more interesting than micro, but people tend to do better in micro, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@BusterBaxter wrote

+1

JNBirDy and I seem to disagree on economics courses, haha!

In my honest opinion, they are fairly straightforward courses, as long as you go to class and read the text/review your notes afterwards, buy the study guide (it summarizes each chapter and gives you 15 T/F and 25 M/C practice questions, and short answer questions, plus the answers) and take your time answering the multiple choice exams, you should do fine.

Macro is more interesting than micro, but people tend to do better in micro, lol.

Ha, you probably know A LOT more about the economics courses than I do. But from the many social science students on my floor last year, it seemed that economics was one of their more difficult courses. No body said it was extremely difficult but I never heard anybody say it was easy.

I'm actually going to take economics next year as my electives, so the fact that you're saying they actually aren't as hard as I've heard is a great relief.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter
With UWO in particular, students tend to start skipping class since the exams are based solely on the textbook/study guide.. but it's so much easier to have the prof explain all the concepts to you rather than trying to sort it out yourself. Econ has a lot of tricks in the multiple choice, which is the part most people stress about. You cannot rush the multiple choice.. If one question takes you 5-8 minutes, so be it.. but the worst thing to do is circle an answer quickly and "get back to it"

You'll see next year it won't be too bad, Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of InvertedZebra InvertedZebra
Cool, thanks everyone!!
Any opinions on classics? After looking at the outlines the m/c exams and 1hr lectures are starting to look good, especially compared to the 3hr behemoth that is geo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

+1. I know people in engineering who took a language (such as French) for their elective, or microeconomics (micro is very logic/math-based, so generally easy for engineering types since it plays to their strengths; macro is a whole other ball-game though), or classics. The ones who did best in their electives were the ones who, as you said, picked a subject that was of interest to them. The ones who didn't do so well were those who picked something just because it was an easy/"bird" course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@InvertedZebra wrote
Cool, thanks everyone!!
Any opinions on classics? After looking at the outlines the m/c exams and 1hr lectures are starting to look good, especially compared to the 3hr behemoth that is geo.

I don't know what Classics at UWO is like, but I have taken some classics courses that I greatly enjoyed (however I have always been interested in and fascinated by ancient Rome, Greece, and Egypt, so I had a basic knowledge in those areas to build from).
Was this helpful? Yes 0