yconic - UWO ..exams
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO ..exams

A photo of Aleena101 Aleena101
Hey guys ..i was wondering for UWO i heard that its a non-semestered school..like you talk full courses from sept-april...

if this is the case...do u guys have midterms in December...
or like two finals..in dec and then in April?

I was also wondering how does deferring exams work...because my brother is getting married next year in December and his wedding is around the 18th...and I understand that exams end on the 21st...so for example if I have an exam on the 19th,20th or 21st..can i get it deferred???

thanks in advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
There are courses that go from Sept-April, and there are courses that go from Sept-Dec and from Jan-April. Courses that go from Sept-April typically, though not always, have a "midyear" exam in December; courses that end in December usually have a final exam (in December).

Yes, you almost certainly would be able to defer an exam if it were on the 18th. What date it would get deferred to depends - probably the 21st. The last day of exam period is usually reserved for exam deferrals or odd circumstances (e.g. school closures during exam periods). Deferring an exam that is on the 19th or 20th would really depend on the situation, namely how nice your prof is. If you defer an exam that is on the 18th, who knows? It may just get pushed to the 19th or 20th. It's hard to say.

The only thing I can say with some certainty is that if you have an exam on the 18th, then you'll very likely be able to get it deferred at least to the 19th. So you should, at the very least, be able to go to your brother's wedding.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aleena101 Aleena101
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

I was wonderinng..is it possible to write an exam ahead of time...or after..i heard some ppl get it deferred to reading weeek or something. (hopefully my exams will be before the 18th tho)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Writing an exam ahead of time is unheard of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

^ It probably didn't hurt that you guys had, what, three snow days last December exam period? I'm pretty sure that is not common.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
^ It probably didn't hurt that you guys had, what, three snow days last December exam period? I'm pretty sure that is not common.

The snowmaggedon was death. Don't even remind me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
Most courses have switched to being semester courses, but many of the social sci ones are still full year. The full year ones can have three midterm and a final....it depends on the class. Some classes don't even have finals.

Deferrals are rare. Quite Rare. The reason people are even talking about them is because of the crazy snow this last December. We missed part of the exam period and they had to push back some exams into January. If you have three or more exams in a 24 hour period, they will reschedule one, but it is usually within a few days. most classes have a makeup exam day a week or so after the exam for people with legitimate (i.e. death in the family, you're on your deathbed, not that you slept in, couldn't rearrange your travel plans or simply felt ill) reasons for not being present at the first exam. Even those people have to get written permission from an academic adviser.

They probably won't defer exams for weddings, i know they don't for high school graduations. Talk to an Academic Councillor about it. They're the only ones who actually know. You might not even have an exam then. For this lat exam period, exams went up to April 30th, but I was done on the 17th. it depends what you're taking. Thant being said, I've always had an exam on the 19th or 20th of December.
Was this helpful? Yes 0