yconic - UWO First Year Courses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO First Year Courses

A photo of qazxsw123 qazxsw123
I have AEO status for Ivey and am currently choosing my first-year courses. Right now, my courses include Business 1220E, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Psychology 1000, and Calculus 1229 and 1225. I am also choosing between Computer Science 1032A/B (and another undetermined half credit), Classical Studies 1000, and American Studies 1020.
So I have a couple questions:
1. How easy/difficult is Classics? Are there any professors you would recommend?
2. How easy/difficult is Computer Science 1032A/B (I didn't take any computer courses throughout high school- except for grade 9 computers)?
3. Any thoughts about American Studies?
4. Does this seem like a reasonable course load?
5. Are there any professors you would recommend for any of the above classes?
Thank you in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of waitaminute waitaminute
I didn't take Classics, but I have heard from many people it is pretty easy. Also keep in mind that there is no essay component, which usually means an easier class. Take Comp Sci!! You don't need that much computer background to do really well in it! If you take Comp Sci 1032A/B, then make the other 0.5 Comp Sci 1033A/B (this one is Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver - I had never used any of those programs before an got a 90!). Exams are multiple choice and if you study you will do well. Assignments aren't bad and I found I didn't even have to attend lectures (they posted the powerpoints word for word). American Studies is NOT easy. Only take it if you are really interested! With your schedule, I would recommend taking something easy as your elective.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Computer Science 1032a/b and 1033a/b are probably the only true bird courses I've seen to date. I haven't taken 1032a/b but have heard that it was pretty easy. Took 1033a/b and it was definitely bird if you're at least somewhat computer savvy and have an artistic eye. Definitely good choices as I haven't found any courses as bird as those.

Classics is probably not too bad, haven't heard too many complaints and overall content is interesting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of joeyrox4life joeyrox4life
I'm currently registered for listening to music (term 1) and intro to biological anthro and archaeology... but should i drop those two and take classics?

I'm not really sure if the content for the anthro course is easy... or if the work load is light ><

Anyone know?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey!
I'm registering for courses, but right now all I see for the term selection is the Fall/Winter 2011 term.

Is it not possible to register for Spring classes yet? Or am I just missing something?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@joeyrox4life wrote
I'm currently registered for listening to music (term 1) and intro to biological anthro and archaeology... but should i drop those two and take classics?

I'm not really sure if the content for the anthro course is easy... or if the work load is light ><

Anyone know?

If you're interested in anthropology you'll do well in it. But it is an essay course, so if you're not a fan of writing essays maybe it would be a better idea to take something else.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

....... Never mind. I am an idiot. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annedepoitres annedepoitres
I've heard a lot about compsci 1032 and 1033 (that they're easy)

for 1032, is it almost exactly like gr.9 computers? like word,excel,powerpoint all over again plus a bit of html and stuff? what specifically would you learn?

and has anyone taken compsci 1026A/B? is that course also easy? no one's mentioned it i don't think...

and, what is Dimensions of Leadership? is that a good course to take?
Was this helpful? Yes 0