yconic - UWO Health Science - Tips for Success first year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Health Science - Tips for Success first year?

A photo of insidecentre insidecentre
Hi,

I'll be entering my first year at UWO pursuing an Honors Specialization in Health Science with Biology. These are the courses I'm enrolled in for first year:

- Calc 1000a and 1301b
- Chem 1100a and 1200b
- Bio 1201a and 1202b
- Health Sci 1002a and 1001b
- Physics 1028a and 1029b

Has anyone taken the above courses that can give me any feedback towards how they found them? Were they manageable and rewarding if solid effort was put into them? Also any tips on profs and how to excel and do well in the courses would be much appreciated.

thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@insidecentre wrote
Hi,

I'll be entering my first year at UWO pursuing an Honors Specialization in Health Science with Biology. These are the courses I'm enrolled in for first year:

- Calc 1000a and 1301b
- Chem 1100a and 1200b
- Bio 1201a and 1202b
- Health Sci 1002a and 1001b
- Physics 1028a and 1029b

Has anyone taken the above courses that can give me any feedback towards how they found them? Were they manageable and rewarding if solid effort was put into them? Also any tips on profs and how to excel and do well in the courses would be much appreciated.

thank you.

I've taken calc, chem, and physics before. There's no magical formula to doing well in these courses other than understanding the concepts presented in lectures and reinforcing it with practice. This is especially true for calc.

Note that calc 1301 is a good deal more difficult than calc 1000. I didn't expect this, and I was in for a surprise. It doesn't help that the profs for calc are so crappy. If you can get Kiriushcheva for calc, then it should help things. I know a ton of people who did terribly in calc 1301 after doing well in calc 1000, but at the same time a lot of people handle 1301 fine... it really depends on you.

Another random tip: get help from a prof or a TA as soon as you're not understanding a concept. It's a really bad idea to sweep it under the rug and hope that the concept doesn't show up on the exam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of freebird freebird
I've taken all of those except health sci, so here are my two cents:

Gorges26 covered the calc very well. 1301 is challenging and requires a very thorough understanding. Get help immediately if you don't get something. It will save you a lot of time and stress. This applies to all courses.

Bio - do whatever you can to understand Haffie's stuff inside out because his exam questions require a lot of application. He repeats important concepts in lecture, so note these and be sure you know that material extremely well. Maxwell's hilarious. But I often had trouble keeping track of his thoughts in lecture, so just be aware and try to get missed details from other people.. I think the other prof is Thorne now, and I don't really know anything about him. For bio, I found study groups very helpful because you can discuss material and talk out questions. Time consuming but valuable.

Chem - challenging for me. Just do all of the problems, and the practice exams. And make sure you do corrections to see where you make mistakes. Remember your significant figures on labs. My TA docked me marks a few times :(

Physics - these were weird courses for me in that I seriously dislike physics and didn't really understand a lot of the material, and yet I pulled off really high marks. They are known to be easy courses, and as I understand it the unit tests are now online along with the quizzes, so while it's technically not allowed, everyone in rez just does them together. The labs are marked super easy too. So do your best to understand the concepts, but don't stress too much. Just know your stuff for the finals, I guess. I think the key to these courses for me was anticipating what Zinke was trying to get at in his exam questions. He likes to put tricky questions, but if you can follow his thinking, you can (sometimes) figure out what specific piece of information he's testing you on.

Other tips?
-Schedule your time carefully and prioritize in order to maintain a balance between studying and the rest of your life.
-Have the discipline to study outside of your room.
-Go to class.
-Ask questions in class if you have them because chances are, other people have the same question.
-Sleep.
-Exercise.
-Enjoy life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of insidecentre insidecentre
thank you for your insight, the both of you. I know that the greatest challenge will really be to stay on top of things. From what i've seen or heard, nothing seems to be too terribly daunting. Is the difference between calc 1000 and 1301 really that drastic? i do well in calc, but it sounds like 1301 is tough.

also, were you serious about people doing the physics tests in the dorms? that seems like cheating..?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@insidecentre wrote
thank you for your insight, the both of you. I know that the greatest challenge will really be to stay on top of things. From what i've seen or heard, nothing seems to be too terribly daunting. Is the difference between calc 1000 and 1301 really that drastic? i do well in calc, but it sounds like 1301 is tough.

also, were you serious about people doing the physics tests in the dorms? that seems like cheating..?

Courses like physics and chem will often have online assignments or quizzes. You're technically "not allowed" to have people helping you with them, but people do their quizzes/assignments together in rez anyway.

And yeah, calc 1301 seems to be a wildcard in terms of who does well in it and who doesn't. I didn't do terribly (I ended up with a 70%), but I absolutely had to work my butt off for that mark. My other marks were considerably higher with much less effort. The most difficult part of that course (and what I couldn't wrap my head around for whatever reason) were the infinite series/sequences. The area problems and differential equations taught towards the end of the course aren't bad. Calc 1000 is pretty much a repeat of what you're taught in high school, but 1301 is all new territory.
Was this helpful? Yes 0