yconic - UWO MATH AND ECONOMIC COURSES
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO MATH AND ECONOMIC COURSES

A photo of LLUS LLUS
If I want to do a specialization in Finance instead of Honor specialization, do I need to have Calc 1000 or Calc 1100? I have Math 1229 and 1225 so far.
Did UWO offer Calc 1100 last year? Or they just cancel it?
Also, do us top 40 business schools prefer applicants who have first year calculus?
Can an upper year students take first year calc 1000 or 1100?

For second year BMOS-Finance, what are the prerequisite for Econ 2150 A/B and 2152 A/B and other second year economy?

thank you
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of SKing16 SKing16
Yes, if you want to do the finance specialization you NEED to take Calculus 1000, which is a pre-req for Econometrics that you also need for the Finance specialization.

I'm also debating whether if it's worth taking Calculus and doing the Finance specialization, even though I'm an AEO and it won't make any difference to me. I know Ivey does not use in-depth Calculus.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LLUS LLUS

@SKing16 wrote
Yes, if you want to do the finance specialization you NEED to take Calculus 1000, which is a pre-req for Econometrics that you also need for the Finance specialization.

I'm also debating whether if it's worth taking Calculus and doing the Finance specialization, even though I'm an AEO and it won't make any difference to me. I know Ivey does not use in-depth Calculus.

Are you talking about HONOR Finance specialization? From the outline http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=postmessage&t=7753&f=18&q=79740, it says "*While Calculus is not required for admission, Calculus 1000A/B or 1100A/B must be completed
if interested in pursuing an Honors Specialization in Finance for MOS or an Honors Double Major with Economics"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplank jplank

@LLUS wrote
If I want to do a specialization in Finance instead of Honor specialization, do I need to have Calc 1000 or Calc 1100? I have Math 1229 and 1225 so far.
Did UWO offer Calc 1100 last year? Or they just cancel it?
Also, do us top 40 business schools prefer applicants who have first year calculus?
Can an upper year students take first year calc 1000 or 1100?

For second year BMOS-Finance, what are the prerequisite for Econ 2150 A/B and 2152 A/B and other second year economy?

thank you

Calculus 1100 isn't listed on the timetable, so I suspect it's no longer being offered. It's also no longer mentioned on the Department of Mathematics webpage on "How To Choose a First Year Math Course"

Upper year students can take any course they have the prerequisites for, including Calc 1000 and (if it's offered) Calc 1100.

The prerequisites for your Economics courses can be found here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0