yconic - UWO second year stats: Bio 2244A/B or Psych 2810?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO second year stats: Bio 2244A/B or Psych 2810?

A photo of bbvm16 bbvm16
Hey guys, this is my very first time posting here although I have been reading this forum for a while. I'm going into 2nd year honours biology at western and I have a choice in which stats course I can take. I know for BMSc, there is no choice and you have to take 2244a/b, but since I do have an option here I was wondering if any of you had any advice to give me on which one to take. I have heard some pretty awful things about bio 2244a/b this past year, like about really low class averages. I even heard some people had to drop out of their honours program all together because they got such a low mark in this course! For those of you who have taken it, is it really that bad? And has anyone here taken the psych option 2810? It's a full year course, but I'm willing to take it if it will be easier than the bio stats. Also, I have a third option in the stats course I can take: Statistical Sciences 2035. I haven't heard anything about this course at all, so if any of you have taken it, please let me know what you thought! Any advice or information is appreciated! Thanks so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I took psych stats. It seemed harder than bio stats, which is what most of my friends took. Because it is a full-year course, it goes into greater depth than bio stats. e.g. In biostats you will learn what ANOVA is; in psych stats you will learn how to do ANOVA. Psych stats also covers topics that biostats doesn't, e.g. probability (which I thought was the hardest unit).

I always suggest taking biostats. If psych stats is easier than biostats, then it is only by a margin. If you're not strong in stats, then, yeah, you might (if psych stats is easier than biostats, and I don't think it is) do slightly better in psych stats than in biostats, but your mark will be counted twice towards your GPA (as it is a full-year course). One 65% is better than two 67%s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of freebird freebird
Take the psych stats.

I'm usually okay with challenging courses, but Stats 2244 is in its own category. The material is not that hard if you're willing to figure it out yourself, but I found the profs were just not good at communicating what was important and how everything fit together. If you look at prof evaluations, they both average below 4 in almost all categories... The course structure was also pretty awful with weekly labs that didn't include important background info about the program and open-ended questions that you'd get wrong if you wrote more than one word.

However, they have been making changes due to poor course evaluations. This past semester the midterm average was still 52% or something though. So I'd avoid it if you have a choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Stats 2244, right? There's Bio 2244 (what I refer to as "biostats"), and Stats 2244. Like you said, I'd avoid Stats 2244, but I'd take Bio 2244 over psych stats.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bio 2244 and Stats 2244 are the exact same course, I don't know why they're named differently.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hmm. They were different when I was in second year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, stats 2122 also used to be an option for biomed, but they got rid of that course last year unfortunately.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bbvm16 bbvm16
Thanks for all your replies! A guidance person told me that stats 2244 and bio 2244 are in fact the same course. They happened to tell me this because they advised me that if bio 2244 was full when I was trying to register, to go and sign up through the stats 2244 since it is actually the same course. It's kind of strange though... anyways- so matt, does that mean you now suggest psych 2810 instead?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bbvm16 bbvm16
just bumping this thread- has anyone taken one of these courses and would suggest the one they've taken? thanks everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 0