yconic - UWO Social Science: Psychology
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UWO Social Science: Psychology

A photo of rosierad rosierad
Hello!

I am enrolled in then Faculty of Social Science for psychology. I don't remember whether it was specified on OUAC or not, but I'm positive that I chose a 4-year program to get my B.A. However, on my UWO student page, it says I am enrolled in the 3-year program. Why is this showing up and should I fax in the degree/module change or wait until my SAO this Tuesday?

Also, should I change to the honors or honors specialization? What's the difference in terms of difficulty level and future career prospects? Do I still need to take a masters after getting my B.A?

I'm so confused as to what courses to take, because I don't know whether a change in degree will affect anything. I only signed up for Intro to Psych so far...help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@rosierad wrote
Hello!

I am enrolled in then Faculty of Social Science for psychology. I don't remember whether it was specified on OUAC or not, but I'm positive that I chose a 4-year program to get my B.A. However, on my UWO student page, it says I am enrolled in the 3-year program. Why is this showing up and should I fax in the degree/module change or wait until my SAO this Tuesday?

Also, should I change to the honors or honors specialization? What's the difference in terms of difficulty level and future career prospects? Do I still need to take a masters after getting my B.A?

I'm so confused as to what courses to take, because I don't know whether a change in degree will affect anything. I only signed up for Intro to Psych so far...help!

Just don't take first year psych...way too much reading...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Make sure you get a four-year degree (e.g. Honours BSc or BA). You can't apply to grad school (should you choose to do so) with only a three-year degree (e.g. BSc/BA).

@rosierad wrote
Do I still need to take a masters after getting my B.A?

That would depend on what you want to do afterward. Most people opt for grad school if they want to do something related to what they studied in undergrad (e.g. counselling, social work, etc.). If you want to be competitive in the job market, you really need to develop a specialized skill set, which grad school (or enough work experience) can give you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Anonymous wrote
Make sure you get a four-year degree (e.g. Honours BSc or BA). You can't apply to grad school (should you choose to do so) with only a three-year degree (e.g. BSc/BA).

@rosierad wrote
Do I still need to take a masters after getting my B.A?

That would depend on what you want to do afterward. Most people opt for grad school if they want to do something related to what they studied in undergrad (e.g. counselling, social work, etc.). If you want to be competitive in the job market, you really need to develop a specialized skill set, which grad school (or enough work experience) can give you.

Thanks! I will most likely switch to Honors Specialization, hopefully tomorrow, if I can get an appointment before my SAO.

Is it advisable to take an essay course in first year so I would at least get one out of the way? If so, what is the easiest essay course to get a high mark in? I figure I might as well take an essay course since I don't know what else to take. This is what I'm enrolled in so far...

Intro to Psychology
Math 1229A/B
Stats 1024 A/B

I need 2 more credits...any suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy
It will say 3 year until the end of firs year when you complete your 'Intent to Register'. Don't worry about it, it's like that for all first year students.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

OH, okay. Thanks guys...that really clears things up!! :-)

What do y'all recommend I take for my first year courses to get a high GPA and meet the psych/grad requirements?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ceebrady22 ceebrady22
hey :)
I'm also enrolled in UWOs faculty of social science and I chose the 4 year bachelor program but then on ouac it said 3 years so I called freaking out and they said it's like that for all first years, but later in the school year you choose your majors and switch into 4 years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka

@rosierad wrote

Intro to Psychology
Math 1229A/B
Stats 1024 A/B

That's only 2.0 credits. You actually still need to pick 3.0 credits(courses labeled a,b, f, and g only count as 0.5 as they are only one term long), not 2.0
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@rosierad wrote
OH, okay. Thanks guys...that really clears things up!! :-)

What do y'all recommend I take for my first year courses to get a high GPA and meet the psych/grad requirements?

Take biology 1201A/1202B. They're general biology for non-science students and they'd probably help you out with the more biology-related psychology courses you may have to take later on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@emotycka wrote

@rosierad wrote

Intro to Psychology
Math 1229A/B
Stats 1024 A/B

That's only 2.0 credits. You actually still need to pick 3.0 credits(courses labeled a,b, f, and g only count as 0.5 as they are only one term long), not 2.0

I know these are half-credit courses, but don't I just take the follow up course in the next term? I'm slightly confused as to how the half-credit courses work... Do I select both the A & B courses so they equal to one credit? My SAO is in 7 hours, so hopefully, it will orient me in the right direction!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@rosierad wrote

@emotycka wrote

@rosierad wrote

Intro to Psychology
Math 1229A/B
Stats 1024 A/B

I know these are half-credit courses, but don't I just take the follow up course in the next term? I'm slightly confused as to how the half-credit courses work... Do I select both the A & B courses so they equal to one credit? My SAO is in 7 hours, so hopefully, it will orient me in the right direction!

No, some courses are only one semester long while others are two semesters long. Your intro to psychology course is two semesters long and therefore worth 1.0 credits, the math 1229 and stats 1024 courses are only one semester long and therefore each worth only 0.5 credits. You need to finish 5.0 credits during first year to enroll in the psychology program.

The letter "A" denotes that a course is offered in the fall semester (1st semester) while the letter "B" denotes that a course is offered in the winter semester (2nd semester). "A/B" denotes that the course may be offered in both or one of the semesters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks lovely people! :-)

I just went for my SAO yesterday, and although the whole advising appointment process took 2 hours, it was definitely helpful. My academic advisor was Riley Hinson. For my essay course, he recommended that I take the sociology course, except I have heard from everyone that it is a very difficult course. This is my timetable so far...

Anthro 1020E - Many Ways of Being Human (Instructor: Clark, Ellis)
Math 1228A - Methods of Finite Mathematics **How much harder is this course from Math 1229?
Philosop 1020 - Intro to Philosophy (Instructor: Thorp)
Portugse 1030 - Portuguese for Beginners
Psychol 1000 - Introductory Psychology (Instructor: Atkinson)
Stats 1024B - Introduction to Statistics

What would you change? I want a relatively easy essay course or what you would call a "bird course." Anthro and philo are not definites, I just didn't know what else to take. I know Math 1229 is easier, but they said 1228 & stats 1024 is the recommended combo. I only chose Portuguese, because I needed to satisfy Category B, but I'll probably change that. Should I take business management if I want a combined degree or is second year business relatively easy with no prior knowledge?

Sorry for this long ass post!! I'm just trying to finalize my timetable and hopefully, have a stellar year! Thanks a bunch everyone!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy

@rosierad wrote
Thanks lovely people! :-)

I just went for my SAO yesterday, and although the whole advising appointment process took 2 hours, it was definitely helpful. My academic advisor was Riley Hinson. For my essay course, he recommended that I take the sociology course, except I have heard from everyone that it is a very difficult course. This is my timetable so far...

Anthro 1020E - Many Ways of Being Human (Instructor: Clark, Ellis)
Math 1228A - Methods of Finite Mathematics **How much harder is this course from Math 1229?
Philosop 1020 - Intro to Philosophy (Instructor: Thorp)
Portugse 1030 - Portuguese for Beginners
Psychol 1000 - Introductory Psychology (Instructor: Atkinson)
Stats 1024B - Introduction to Statistics

What would you change? I want a relatively easy essay course or what you would call a "bird course." Anthro and philo are not definites, I just didn't know what else to take. I know Math 1229 is easier, but they said 1228 & stats 1024 is the recommended combo. I only chose Portuguese, because I needed to satisfy Category B, but I'll probably change that. Should I take business management if I want a combined degree or is second year business relatively easy with no prior knowledge?

Sorry for this long ass post!! I'm just trying to finalize my timetable and hopefully, have a stellar year! Thanks a bunch everyone!!

some bird courses i know of according to this forum are: CompSci 1032 and 1033,and Listening to Music.
I also heard that math 1229 is pretty easy and is the vectors portion of your calculus class. Calculus would also be a good choice if u've taken it in high school.
From ur timetable, unless you really love essays, taking one is more than enough. I would rather take business1220 if you're interested in business. If not, then don't take it.

I am going to be in Psychology for my first 2 years as well so good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy

@BusterBaxter wrote
You can definitely manage more than one essay course.. I'd say 3 is when it starts to get tough.

I am just curious since you are in AEO2. What do you think of the Mos courses in the first year? Is it worth taking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waitaminute waitaminute

@BusterBaxter wrote

@JNBirDy wrote
It will say 3 year until the end of firs year when you complete your 'Intent to Register'. Don't worry about it, it's like that for all first year students.

+1

you need to apply for an honours specialization at the end of first year. In the meantime, they just recognize you as a 3-yr B.A student.

+1 to both. It will say 3-Year B.A. until the end of your first year. In Feb-March of your first year you choose what you want to declare as your official "major". It is then that you choose honours specialization/specializaiton/major/minor etc. This also depends on the grades you receive in 1st year. First Year courses you must take: Intro to Psych and 1.0 Math courses.
See this link to see what math courses:
http://www.psychology.uwo.ca/pdfs/undergraduate/checklists/honorsspecba.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0